Kevo

N-400 pending, overseas job offer

30 posts in this topic

My wife's application (N-400 based off of 3 yrs marriage) was submitted in Feb this year.  I received a great job offer as a civilian (I'm retired USAF) at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan. 

If I were to accept it and we go to Japan does anyone know how that would affect her naturalization application?  

My opinion, wait until your wife has this citizenship before moving abroad.

You don't want to risk her loosing green card.

Since you're not active duty, I'm not sure if she could keep her green card "time" while abroad with you, even though you'll be working on post.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Kevo said:

My wife's application (N-400 based off of 3 yrs marriage) was submitted in Feb this year.  I received a great job offer as a civilian (I'm retired USAF) at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan. 

If I were to accept it and we go to Japan does anyone know how that would affect her naturalization application?  

Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization

The above may come to bite you

Who will be your employer?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, shomer said:

It could break her continuous residence, or, of she stays behind, the marital union requirement.  Not good. 

How will the marital union requirement be broken?

YMMV

Found this on the USCIS website.  I think her GC would be safe.  The job is a 2 year initial assignment with the option to continue longer.  

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

One year or longer outside the US has a legal presumption of abandoning residence. Multiple trips can also be considered as such.

Ignoring the citizenship eligibility side of things for a second, if she were to be abroad that long, then at least a re-entry permit would be highly recommended before working abroad. It does not guarantee re-entry, but at least lets the extended period abroad not be held against her in making that determination.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, Kevo said:

Found this on the USCIS website.  I think her GC would be safe.  The job is a 2 year initial assignment with the option to continue longer.  

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

?

She CANNOT leave US for longer than a year - and if she wants that, she needs to apply for a reentry permit. If not or if she will stay abroad too long,  she will loose her green card.

If she leaves, she will probably loose her citizenship application.

Seriously, best thing to do is to wait for her to receive her US citizenship and then she can stay abroad for as long as she wants to, without issues.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it's not a problem if you are a government employee or live in a place like Guam (US territory). 

https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/green-card/maintaining-permanent-resident-status/

Sounds like you just have to notify USCIS beforehand to let them know. 

Edited by javadown2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, javadown2 said:

I think it's not a problem if you are a government employee or live in a place like Guam (US territory). 

https://jp.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/green-card/maintaining-permanent-resident-status/

Sounds like you just have to notify USCIS beforehand to let them know. 

Yes, I think many posters are overlooking or are unaware of that fact. 

Edited to add: I am also assuming the position is as a gov't civilian employee, and not as a gov't contractor. If the latter, then yes, I agree with the others in regards to the green card and residency... 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Yes, I think many posters are overlooking or are unaware of that fact. 

I've been researching this very topic because I'm looking to work in Guam and my wife only has her 2 year conditional green card at the moment. His case may be a little different and I wonder how they deal with interviews if they are needed if you are outside the country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 minute ago, javadown2 said:

I've been researching this very topic because I'm looking to work in Guam and my wife only has her 2 year conditional green card at the moment. His case may be a little different and I wonder how they deal with interviews if they are needed if you are outside the country?

Well Guam is a part of the US, so yes, your case is different :). And USCIS does have offices abroad. Don't know about Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have some type of operation there due to the high # of military personnel there. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you are covered under a SOFA I doubt moving her abroad would affect her N400 status. You might even have a case to expedite it.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

6 minutes ago, cyclone27 said:

If you are covered under a SOFA I doubt moving her abroad would affect her N400 status. You might even have a case to expedite it.

It won't affect the N400 status at all because he will be working for the USG as a Civilian. The ONLY problem I see is when she has a interview then she has to do it in the USA not out of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.