Debby M.

Getting married to prisoner

93 posts in this topic

Hi Debbie,  incarceration aside, just understand that there are financial requirements that your fiance/spouse will need to meet to even get you approved for a K1 or a CR1 visa.  Among other things, the visas are usually approved on the petitioner's ability to meet certain income requirements in the present and future - meaning that he has to be currently employed.  In the absence of that, he will need a co-sponsor that needs to meet the income requirements for both of you, him/herself, and whoever else is in their own household.

You mentioned that you would go back to the Netherlands, but just be aware that should you be approved to return to the US to stay, the financial obligations will still play a major part in your residency approval when you file to adjust your status.  You haven't mentioned how much longer he will be incarcerated so its something to consider!

Also, the "evidence of bona fide relationship" could be an area of concern when you file both now and later when you adjust your status.  I recommend speaking to an experienced lawyer on this one.  Good luck to you! :) 

03/11/16 - Engaged!

09/27/16 – Interview Date – Approved

10/13/16 – POE Houston

12/22/16 - HAPPILY MARRIED!!!!

01/09/17 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

01/23/17 - NOA1 texts and emails received

01/27/17 - NOA1 hardcopies received 

02/11/17 - Biometrics appointment letter received

02/21/17 - Biometrics appointment

04/17/17 - EAD status changed to New Card Being Produced

04/21/17 - NOA2 hardcopies for EAD and AP received 

04/26/17 - EAD/AP combo card received

05/26/17 - RFE Received (I-485)

06/12/17 - RFE Response Received at Houston Field office

06/22/17 - I-485 approved, Card being produced

06/29/17 - Hardcopy I-485  approval notice received

07/01/17 - Greencard in hand

Have you ever even met face to face?

How do you know he's not just scamming you? (Also if you haven't met face to face, K1 is out of question)

I assume he doesn't make any money? How is he suppose to sponsor your visa? He needs to make over 125% of poverty line or you need a Co-Sponsor. No visa without that.

Also - is someone charged with murder (!!) can even sponsor a foreigner for a visa?

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I advised. I said the K1 is a no go if they haven't met. I advised they will probably need a co sponsor.

And I was genuinely curious if someone charged with murder can be a sponsor. Thanks for the answer. It was.. surprising.

Trust me, I kept the judgment to myself. :P

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was also wondering if they had met and how long he has to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, kandikandi said:

Hi Debbie,  incarceration aside, just understand that there are financial requirements that your fiance/spouse will need to meet to even get you approved for a K1 or a CR1 visa.  Among other things, the visas are usually approved on the petitioner's ability to meet certain income requirements in the present and future - meaning that he has to be currently employed.  In the absence of that, he will need a co-sponsor that needs to meet the income requirements for both of you, him/herself, and whoever else is in their own household.

You mentioned that you would go back to the Netherlands, but just be aware that should you be approved to return to the US to stay, the financial obligations will still play a major part in your residency approval when you file to adjust your status.  You haven't mentioned how much longer he will be incarcerated so its something to consider!

Also, the "evidence of bona fide relationship" could be an area of concern when you file both now and later when you adjust your status.  I recommend speaking to an experienced lawyer on this one.  Good luck to you! :) 

Thank you for your answer! 

We are already working to find a sponsor. 

As for going back to the Netherlands, I was reading something about that this afternoon and I figured out that if the K1 will be approved and after we got married, I have to stay in America untill they approved my AOS.. Am I right?

30 minutes ago, Roel said:

Have you ever even met face to face?

How do you know he's not just scamming you? (Also if you haven't met face to face, K1 is out of question)

I assume he doesn't make any money? How is he suppose to sponsor your visa? He needs to make over 125% of poverty line or you need a Co-Sponsor. No visa without that.

Also - is someone charged with murder (!!) can even sponsor a foreigner for a visa?

Yes we have met each other in person.

No he doesn't make money but we are trying to find someone who will support us. Do you know if someone can be a sponsor if they are retired?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Debby M. said:

Yes we have met each other in person.

No he doesn't make money but we are trying to find someone who will support us. Do you know if someone can be a sponsor if they are retired?

Absolutely as long as they meet the financial requirements 

So lets say you'll go the K1 route. You cannot legally work until you get EAD ( takes about 90 days after you file for AoS). How are you going to support yourself? Unless you have a lot of saved money, not sure if K1 will be right for you. Coming on the CR1 visa at least you can work right away, even though the processing time is longer.

How much longer your boyfriend will be in prison? (I'm still curious here. No judgement, but I wonder why someone would go for a man sentenced for murder, sitting in prison and maybe not being let out for xx - years.)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

2 minutes ago, Debby M. said:

Thank you for your answer! 

We are already working to find a sponsor. 

As for going back to the Netherlands, I was reading something about that this afternoon and I figured out that if the K1 will be approved and after we got married, I have to stay in America untill they approved my AOS.. Am I right?

Hi Debby,  yes if you enter on the K-1, you cannot leave the US until you file for a travel document (usually used in case of emergencies until your greencard comes through) and your residency (from which you will get your temporary greencard a bit later on).  Same for the CR-1.  You generally can't leave until you have documented legal stay in the US because you risk not getting allowed back in.

03/11/16 - Engaged!

09/27/16 – Interview Date – Approved

10/13/16 – POE Houston

12/22/16 - HAPPILY MARRIED!!!!

01/09/17 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

01/23/17 - NOA1 texts and emails received

01/27/17 - NOA1 hardcopies received 

02/11/17 - Biometrics appointment letter received

02/21/17 - Biometrics appointment

04/17/17 - EAD status changed to New Card Being Produced

04/21/17 - NOA2 hardcopies for EAD and AP received 

04/26/17 - EAD/AP combo card received

05/26/17 - RFE Received (I-485)

06/12/17 - RFE Response Received at Houston Field office

06/22/17 - I-485 approved, Card being produced

06/29/17 - Hardcopy I-485  approval notice received

07/01/17 - Greencard in hand

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Debby M. said:

May I ask what you mean with "The OP needs advice, not sanctimony" and what crimes are AWA?

Basically you don't need people judging your relationship. Adam Walsh Act crimes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Walsh_Child_Protection_and_Safety_Act

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 hours ago, Debby M. said:

To answer your question, no I haven't know him before he was prisoned. He is in prison for almost 13 years now. 

I think we have enough evidence to prove that we are very serious about it.

The sponsors... Well that's a thing we haven't arrange it yet. His parents both passed away and we have to search someone else to 'support' me. We are working on it, I told him yesterday about it 

Proving you are serious about it and having relationship evidence are two completely different things.  Have you visited him?  How often are you able to visit him?  How do you communicate? You will need to collect relationship evidence.

Co sponsor will be necessary so yes, get that confimred before making any plans.  You possibly could handle it without a lawyer, but it will take tons of research, organization, and work on your part.  I would definitely at least consult with a experienced immigration attorney....not just any lawyer.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

if domestic violence can stop a person from immigrating I would assume that murder would definitely prevent it.

I do not know if meeting through glass is considered meeting for uscis.

also consider right now that you are in love with a pen pal. and you can not tell how the two of you will get along till he has been out for a few months and settled in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.