33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

She says AOS is not completed, but her status says it's pending. They might have filed it, it may be in the works. OP if you filed within the 90 days (before the middle of April), then you would not have any overstay. You can leave now, it will mean you've abandoned the AOS process, but you'd be able to use VWP in the future.

If you have not filed for AOS than yes, you are accruing overstay since your 90 days were up.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to nitpick (but I am anyways LOL), but at this point it only matters IF she's filed for AOS, not when, as far as any overstay goes. Any overstay is forgiven upon filing. Many people do not file within the 90 days.

Edit: Although I confess I don't know that if she had accrued overstay, applied for AOS, then abandoned said AOS, whether that overstay could come into play if she ever wanted another visa in the future.

Again, we're just making up scenarios now. It would help to simply know her actual status for sure.

Edited by templeton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems reasonable to assume she is not adjusting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The consulate is a good shout, they are there to help UK citizens. I believe there's one in Chicago that serves your region?

Sorry that he has acted like this, its an utterly nasty thing to do to someone after getting you to emigrate for him. Hope karma hits him hard.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

the British consulate is downtown Chicago. I've never actually been, but it's right in the heart of downtown and easy to find/get to from anywhere:

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-consulate-general-chicago

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Why is everyone saying that she overstayed?

Probably because in post #8 she says she hasn't filed?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

May his urination cause him pain and agony!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

I don't think you overstated, you did marry your fiancée in 90 days. What is happening now is very bizarre , but there is a possibility to stay in U.S. If you want Was your husband abusive? I would try to make him to find a lawyer to help you...

Filed: Timeline

Probably because in post #8 she says she hasn't filed?

A very reasonable assertion, which most of us have made, but she still hasn't explicitly stated AOS has been filed or not ... just that 'they haven't completed the adjustment of status process yet' ... maybe they started the planning stages but hadn't actually signed/filed anything.

Filed: Timeline

With such a short-term to the marriage, there's likely to be little, if any, marital property involved. Likewise, alimony/maintenance is unlikely to be awarded. However, if OP contested the divorce and filed a motion for legal separation, temporary spousal support while the divorce is proceeding would be very likely. She could reasonably slow down the process for 12 months or so without legal repercussions.

This is why I suggested earlier that she negotiate a simple, uncontested divorce (which would be cheaper and quicker for her husband) in return for a plane ticket home and, perhaps, some pocket money to cover her expenses for a month or so. She's unlikely to get more than that in a divorce decree. He wants an easy divorce - she wants to go home - she's got the better position to negotiate, though she may not feel that way right now. Once the divorce is done, she will have absolutely no ground to bargain from.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Why is everyone saying that she overstayed?

You can't know this unless you know whether or not she filed for the AOS. All she says about it is "we have not completed the adjustment of status process yet"

If she filed for the AOS, then she has not overstayed.

If she did not file, then she is accruing days of overstay.

even so - It has to be approved to be forgiven.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has there been any physical, verbal, or emotional abuse? If so, you can file I-130 for adjustment of status as the abused spouse of a US citizen and the fee is waived. But you must be able to prove you have been abused. You should talk to an immigration attorney before jumping on a plane back home. Many have free initial consultations and can advise you on the best course of action for your situation. You should also talk to a divorce lawyer to see what your rights are and what you are entitled to. You would be entitled to whatever a US citizen is entitled to in the divorce. Being out of status does not take away your spousal rights. If I were you I'd start with the immigration lawyer and go from there.

My heart breaks reading this. I think you need to go home as soon as possible. Can family or friends in the UK loan you some money for a ticket? I hope you are safe and get home soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Generalization post removed plus 2 others for quoting, 1 for language/personal attack. Post constructively or do not post.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Not to nitpick (but I am anyways LOL), but at this point it only matters IF she's filed for AOS, not when, as far as any overstay goes. Any overstay is forgiven upon filing. Many people do not file within the 90 days.

Edit: Although I confess I don't know that if she had accrued overstay, applied for AOS, then abandoned said AOS, whether that overstay could come into play if she ever wanted another visa in the future.

Again, we're just making up scenarios now. It would help to simply know her actual status for sure.

It does come into play. My ex and I abandoned AOS to move back to the UK. At that point, he had overstayed his VWP by about 100 days. Since this all happened in the pre-9/11 period, nobody really noticed that he had this overstay on his record when we travelled back and forth between the US and UK using the VWP. Eventually, he was detained at an airport because of the overstay, but was paroled in because it was Christmas and the DHS agent was feeling festive, I guess. Anyway, for our next trip he needed to get a B-1 visa, which was approved no problem. He's back to being able to use the VWP again, from what I understand.

TL/DR: yes, it can come into play if your AOS is abandoned.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.