terri_blake

Red flag over religious differences?

136 posts in this topic

Not all Muslims are the same as you should know. He was engaged to a Coptic Christian girl 5 years ago. Just because closedmindedness is normal to what you know please dont say what he will do. You dont know him. And please don't say he's either doing one thing or another. He is not trying to convert me and he isnt a fraudster. How dare you say that? Get your facts straight.

You don't seem to know much about Islam, but for your sake, I hope your guy is what he says he is. Good luck.

Not all Muslims are the same as you should know. He was engaged to a Coptic Christian girl 5 years ago. Just because closedmindedness is normal to what you know please dont say what he will do. You dont know him. And please don't say he's either doing one thing or another. He is not trying to convert me and he isnt a fraudster. How dare you say that? Get your facts straight.

Oh, I know I am grabbing a dog by his ears here, but I concur with hsgx2. (Proverbs 26:17) I am not saying that your guy is a passive Muslim or that he is lying to you, but you do want to take her advice a little more softly. There is nothing wrong with thinking of protecting yourself and in our case, discussing such matters has brought us closer together. For example we discussed, "Hey, how do you know I'm not..." This conversation wasn't just about him being a criminal or just having ill intentions, but even how he knows he can trust me and that I don't have immoral qualities in my lifestyle. He even had a friend counsel him on the same thing. "Hey man, how do you know she's not CIA? How do you know she's not going to bring you to America just to kill you?" So it's not just a one-way conversation.

But the reason why I agree with hsgx2 is because if my guy was saying that his opinion of Islam was low without logical explanation or his opinion was the polar opposite and he was expecting me to convert, then I would be suspicious. While I won't go into details of our conversations on this topic, based on my research, you need to be at least aware of these possibilities that hsgx2 brings up. Then that way, you can consider what you would do if different situations came up. You aren't showing a lack of love or faith in your future marriage, you aren't casting doubt on his intentions, you are preparing yourself on how to act the best way "for better or worse"!

Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

You dont seem to know much about open mindedness and modernity but for the sake of being polite, i hope your wife is who you think she is.

It doesn't matter one whit how open minded you are, or how open minded you think your boyfriend is. He will be going to a very tough, and extremely difficult consulate to get his visa. I don't believe they are open minded in the least. Fairly positive modernity won't be something they will consider either.

You keep posting threads asking questions. You keep getting hostile with people who are trying to help you. You need to stop snapping at people, and try and be a little open minded yourself. What you are trying to accomplish is very difficult. All airy fairy nonsense aside, the difference in your religion is the least of your worries.

USCIS have a distinct set of requirements. You need to meet those. Not close enough, not almost, absolutely.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

I just read your other post and you described that he is a EXTREMELY RELIGIOUS man,and you posted " As he is religious, I could not visit his hotel so he came to the balcony which was three stories up and we talked on the phone while waving to one another", that's the only contact face to face that you had with him. I will be very blunt here.I would be more worry if he is not trying to scam you,like his uncle did with your sister, than if the US Embassy will approve his visa.

I have MANY Muslim friends married to Christians women,my brother in Law is Muslim and married to my sister for 13 years.I visited Syria,Lebanon and Jordan twice,and I never heard anything like you described here.I wish you the best.

I concur. There are definitely conflicting pieces of information here. So religious, they can only meet two storeys apart, but not that religious that he's going to convert to Christianity. I mean... something here does not add up and the OP would be doing herself a favour to investigate this, because the embassy certainly will want to understand why this is how it is. The OP needs to understand exactly how religious he is, why they could not be photographed *in the same room* and how that'll effect their life in America.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Oh, I know I am grabbing a dog by his ears here, but I concur with hsgx2. (Proverbs 26:17) I am not saying that your guy is a passive Muslim or that he is lying to you, but you do want to take her advice a little more softly. There is nothing wrong with thinking of protecting yourself and in our case, discussing such matters has brought us closer together. For example we discussed, "Hey, how do you know I'm not..." This conversation wasn't about him being a criminal or just having ill intentions, but even how he knows he can trust me and that I don't have immoral qualities in my lifestyle. He even had a friend counsel him on the same thing. "Hey man, how do you know she's not CIA? How do you know she's not going to bring you to America just to kill you?" So it's not just a one-way conversation.

But the reason why I agree with hsgx2 is because if my guy was saying that his opinion of Islam was low without logical explanation or his opinion was the polar opposite and he was expecting me to convert, then I would be suspicious. While I won't go into details of our conversations on this topic, based on my research, you need to be at least aware of these possibilities that hsgx2 brings up. Then that way, you can consider what you would do when different situations came up. You aren't showing a lack of love or faith in your future marriage, you aren't casting doubt on his intentions, you are preparing yourself on how to act the best way "for better or worse"!

Yes i agree that communication will be the key in our relationship being successful. So far, he and i have had some really deep conversations about religion and he showed me how truly open minded and explorative he is. He is lucky to have a big family that has opened their hearts to other cultures and religions. I am not his first Christian girlfriend either so this isn't new to him. He isnt a terrorist. He is an educated loving man with a big heart and lucrative future.

Yes i agree that communication will be the key in our relationship being successful. So far, he and i have had some really deep conversations about religion and he showed me how truly open minded and explorative he is. He is lucky to have a big family that has opened their hearts to other cultures and religions. I am not his first Christian girlfriend either so this isn't new to him. He isnt a terrorist. He is an educated loving man with a big heart and lucrative future.

Because this could be another red flag, I'm going to ask this question and please don't take offence: Where was his previous Christian girlfriend from (who you said in the other thread that he had been engaged to)?

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To answer your question: YES.

Regardless of my opinion and the others', you only need to convince one person and that is the consul officer (given you reach that point). Gather everything you have.

Good luck!

Are you kidding me? Read what others have been trying to force down my throat. SoMeone said my guy is a liar, fraudster, trying to convert me, controlling,etc so when i reply with a corrective response, im the bad guy. Get your facts straight.

Not kidding you.

In all honesty, I don't think you know yourself who he is. You've not actually satisfied the requirement to meet in person. You've not met his family. You can say all you like that they are 'open', but how do you know that? You don't.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Not kidding you.

In all honesty, I don't think you know yourself who he is. You've not actually satisfied the requirement to meet in person. You've not met his family. You can say all you like that they are 'open', but how do you know that? You don't.

This is my point in a nutshell.

I just read your other post and you described that he is a EXTREMELY RELIGIOUS man,and you posted " As he is religious, I could not visit his hotel so he came to the balcony which was three stories up and we talked on the phone while waving to one another", that's the only contact face to face that you had with him. I will be very blunt here.I would be more worry if he is not trying to scam you,like his uncle did with your sister, than if the US Embassy will approve his visa.

I have MANY Muslim friends married to Christians women,my brother in Law is Muslim and married to my sister for 13 years.I visited Syria,Lebanon and Jordan twice,and I never heard anything like you described here.I wish you the best.

Thank you. We are planning a more intimate visit for June

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

For some couples it was no issue and for others it was. It is not a yes or no answer in regards to problems with religious differences and for some to

say that you will or won't have issues with it is just speculation.

It is a part of the whole, meaning what else fits or doesn't fit and what (other) red flags exist.

The core of it all is in spending plenty of time together in real life, not just online and phone time.

If he is limited as to how much time you two can spend together due to his religion, then it must happen in the presence of his family or you will

have problems. They are very concerned if family is not on board with the engagement and a good relationship should exist also between you

and his family with photos to back it up.

He may end up spending several months in AP while they do their investigation on him.

Don't piece meal and fragment any particular issues but keep your focus on the entire picture because that is what the CO will do.

What is right and what is odd in your case all counts. All the pieces must fit together and be convincing to have a successful outcome.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Not kidding you.

I havent met his family? His uncle is married to my sister. Get your facts straight.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.