Mimzy

Trying to open a joint bank account

19 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are applying for AOS for me and we're trying to open a bank account. This is the last step needed for us (unfortunately it should've been the first) but I'm having an issue right now. I'm from Venezuela and my passport expired on dec 2016. It'll probably take a couple of months before I get my new one because of the situation on Venezuela. We tried to open a joint bank account in Chase and we were rejected because they need a not expired passport. 

What are my options now to show that we share the financial burden?

Thank you so much for your time!

--------- AOS ---------

2017-05-09     Submitted I-130 / I-485 / I-765 

2017-05-17     NOA Received all 3 from NBC (or MSC.)

2017-05-31     RFE Received for birth certificate (even though we sent it) Sent back 2 days later.

2017-06-05     Biometrics appointment done.

2017-08-14     90 days since application received. Case updated to "New Card in Production"!!

2017-08-21     Card received in the mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Banks need proof as to the identity of the person opening an account. Usually a drivers license is good enough. Just because your passport expired should not have led to a rejection. It is still proof of identity. I would try another bank or even better, a credit union.

A lot of people has talked about Chase not allowing account opening involving a K-1. Bank of America has been said to be more lenient so maybe try there but not sure if an expired passport would affect that.

Showing that you have a joint bank account does not prove that you won't be a public charge. It will only be considered as a bona fide marriage though it would have to show some activities not just that it was opened for show.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Enigma11561 said:

Banks need proof as to the identity of the person opening an account. Usually a drivers license is good enough. Just because your passport expired should not have led to a rejection. It is still proof of identity. I would try another bank or even better, a credit union.

Unfortunately they would not accept my expired passport. I've just tried called Bank of America and a credit union and they also said they needed an unexpired passport.

1 hour ago, KULtoATL said:

A lot of people has talked about Chase not allowing account opening involving a K-1. Bank of America has been said to be more lenient so maybe try there but not sure if an expired passport would affect that.

Showing that you have a joint bank account does not prove that you won't be a public charge. It will only be considered as a bona fide marriage though it would have to show some activities not just that it was opened for show.

Would a joint bank account be a requirement for this process? Can I just open one after I get my EAD? It just seems to be almost impossible for me to have my name on one as of now..

--------- AOS ---------

2017-05-31     RFE Received for birth certificate (even though we sent it) Sent back 2 days later.

2017-08-14     90 days since application received. Case updated to "New Card in Production"!!

1 minute ago, Mimzy said:

Unfortunately they would not accept my expired passport. I've just tried called Bank of America and a credit union and they also said they needed an unexpired passport.

Would a joint bank account be a requirement for this process? Can I just open one after I get my EAD? It just seems to be almost impossible for me to have my name on one as of now..

I am so sorry to hear that Bank of America wouldn't be able to allow you for an account opening due to the expired passport. Any ways for you to get your passport renewal expedited even if not to open a bank account? Best to have a valid ID for sure.

If a bank account can't be done right now, make sure you have other evidences e.g. your name added to his/her health insurance, a variety of utilities bills, memberships, joint purchases of big ticketed items, lease etc. Those are some of the things that you can consider :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

If you tried different banks and they refuse then you have to wait for your EAD.
Do you have a state ID ?

Read over the list in the ROC guide on what you will need to ROC , from that list you may have something for AOS

that you aren't thinking of. You don't need to submit it with your application and can bring it if you have an interview.
Keep in mind that for ROC they want to see joint financial statements from the inception of marriage so prepare for ROC
while you wait for AOS.
Stay one step ahead of the process so you won't have to deal with RFE's.

Things you can use for AOS:
http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide 

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gabon
Timeline

I had the same issue with my husband yesterday. He tried to add me into his account at Wells Fargo but they denied. I had my passport, my marriage certificate, but they wouldn't. They needed a state ID that can't have because I'm going to need at least an EAD card. 

Maybe because we wanted my married name to appear on the contract, but they said they would put my name as it appears on the passport. So have to wait till I have my EAD to at least open a bank account . 

I-129F and Adjustment of Status.docK1 Visa Journey (see attachment)

Adjustment Of Status Journey(see attachment)

ROC Journey

08/27/19 : Windows opens.

I-129F and Adjustment of statusI

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Bank of America is the best option for aliens with no clear status in the US, but I think even them would require some type of non-expired government issued ID. It would be very strange if they didn't. I don't know how you make it without a valid ID? I have used my passport so many times already and I've only lived here since October. I would be a little scared not having any kind of valid ID tbh.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
6 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

I am so sorry to hear that Bank of America wouldn't be able to allow you for an account opening due to the expired passport. Any ways for you to get your passport renewal expedited even if not to open a bank account? Best to have a valid ID for sure.

If a bank account can't be done right now, make sure you have other evidences e.g. your name added to his/her health insurance, a variety of utilities bills, memberships, joint purchases of big ticketed items, lease etc. Those are some of the things that you can consider :)

We do have a lease on our apartment and 1 utility bill that is under both of our names. We've also got a bunch of mail coming with our address on it so hopefully that will do until i get my EAD..

19 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Bank of America is the best option for aliens with no clear status in the US, but I think even them would require some type of non-expired government issued ID. It would be very strange if they didn't. I don't know how you make it without a valid ID? I have used my passport so many times already and I've only lived here since October. I would be a little scared not having any kind of valid ID tbh.

I'm waiting for the appointment.. which seem to have been becoming slower every year :/

3 hours ago, Nin&Way said:

I had the same issue with my husband yesterday. He tried to add me into his account at Wells Fargo but they denied. I had my passport, my marriage certificate, but they wouldn't. They needed a state ID that can't have because I'm going to need at least an EAD card. 

Maybe because we wanted my married name to appear on the contract, but they said they would put my name as it appears on the passport. So have to wait till I have my EAD to at least open a bank account . 

So you guys submitted the initial filing before having a joint bank account? I did not think that was possible.. 

5 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

If you tried different banks and they refuse then you have to wait for your EAD.
Do you have a state ID ?

Read over the list in the ROC guide on what you will need to ROC , from that list you may have something for AOS

that you aren't thinking of. You don't need to submit it with your application and can bring it if you have an interview.
Keep in mind that for ROC they want to see joint financial statements from the inception of marriage so prepare for ROC
while you wait for AOS.
Stay one step ahead of the process so you won't have to deal with RFE's.

Things you can use for AOS:
http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide 

I do not have a state ID.. 

We do seem to have most evidence of marriage (apartment lease, utility bills, pictures, we might even purchase a car now and have both of our names on it if it helps) but it's just the bank account that's left for us :'( this is so aggravating but i'm so thankful for everyone that replied it helps calm my nerves a lot! 

Thank you!

--------- AOS ---------

Have you tried Schwab Bank? They're pretty great. I use them because my employer already forces me to use them for my 401k, so I decided to give them a try for our join checking account.

I'm not sure they asked me for any documentation online when opening the account except for my social - so maybe try something online?

Timeline:

• AOS application submitted: 1/28/17
  • NOA1 for 130/765: 2/24/17
  • NOA1 for 485: 3/2/17
  • Biometrics letter: 3/11/17
  • Biometrics appointment: 3/30/17
  • EAD in production: 5/23/17
  • EAD received: 5/26/17
  • AP application received: 9/15/17 
  • AP application approved: 12/2/17 
  • Interview Notice received: 12/23/17
  • AOS Interview: 1/23/18
  • Approval email/texts: 2/8/18
  • Green Card mailed (hopefully): 2/14/18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure if it's in your area, but my spouse and I had zero issue at US Bank. They just needed his SS card and a photo ID, hopefully your expired passport will suffice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What is your current status in the application process? Have you already sent your package?  Are you waiting for EAD?  

It's not necessary to send proof of bona fide marriage with the applications, so yes you can open a bank account as soon as you get your EAD.

It would be more helpful to visit banks instead of calling, if you can, as it's always better to talk to people in person than on the phone. So maybe go to a Bank of America location and see if you can try to get them to accept your passport, they are the most helpful with people who don't have a fully established status in the US (although they usually do ask for two forms of ID but it won't hurt to try). 

Other than that you can try an online bank or just wait until you get your EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
21 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

I'm surprised Wells Fargo hasn't already opened an account for you without your knowledge. :P

[Joke from earlier problems Wells Fargo was having by doing this activity]

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

In Parts of Texas even in NM, is super easy, my wife and i opened an account in a first Convenience Bank (Walmart), they just asked for her id and my B1/B1 card, it was even free (no monthly fees or minimum balance) since i showed my Student Card, took 15 mins max. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.