Shah Ali

want to marry after visa issue

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Agree with the first poster. K1 means you are not married when you enter the US. Marring before you arrive means you have committed immigration fraud and are not eligible to use a K1 to enter the US and there for you can't adjust status. When the lie comes light all immigration benefits that were derived as a result of the lie are voidable , including in theory citizenship.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the purpose of the K1 is to enter the country and marry within 90 days, if you wanted to marry in your country, you should have gone in a different direction

^^^^^^^Agree with all three posts above.

Hey every one

I want to know is that possible if i can marry in my home country after getting the visa ?

I appreciate for your help!!!

You have a FIANCE(E) visa. You must be a FIANC(E) when you enter the US using the visa. THEN you get married. If you wanted to get married in your home country, you should have gotten married and then filed for a SPOUSAL visa if the first place. To do so now will result in wasted time and money. Do not do anything that looks like a marriage in your home country as the USCIS may catch wind of it and deny your petition at some point during the remaining parts of this process because they will think you are married and have a K-1 visa.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.***

**Moderator hat off**

I want to know is that possible if i can marry in my home country after getting the visa ?

Doing so will invalidate a K1 visa.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Also remember that you have only 90 days after you enter the country with your K1 visa to get married. As long as you don't get married before you enter the US or after the 90 days, you will be fine.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey every one

as stated by other members, the visa you are applying for is purely to get permission to get married in USA. mean you can not get married anywhere before getting married in the USA.

if you wanted to get married in your home country the only way you could do this is either do that first then apply for a completely different Visa which you make your K1 Void OR get married in USA once Visa is approved, go through all your adjustment of status etc and then once you have completed all those step needed to be able to leave the US on Vacations etc you could take a vacation to your home country then have a ceremony in your but this could be couple of years.

Doing that will undo everything you worked for.

Just have a celebratory ceremony in your country that isn't in any way considered a "legal" marriage. If your country has a strong relationship between religion and state, having a religious ceremony may somehow trigger a marriage registration with the government, no?

Use your K1 visa and get married in the U.S. Other than that, celebrate with a ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

2 posts removed. one for tos violation and one for quoting. please do not advocate misrepresentation of facts.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Hey every one

You could also have a non-legal, non-binding 'celebration' in Pakistan and then legally marry here in the US (Legally marrying can be as simple as you both going to your local courthouse one afternoon).

The issue here is you must be legally engaged and free to marry at POE, you must legally marry within 90 days of POE.

Anything non-legally binding is okay, and I think it's acceptable to have a celebration in your home country considering you'll be moving to the US with your forever love :)

Either way, good luck to you both, but no-no on the legal marry before you come here :no:

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You could also have a non-legal, non-binding 'celebration' in Pakistan and then legally marry here in the US (Legally marrying can be as simple as you both going to your local courthouse one afternoon).

I'd recommend against this. There have been issues reported here on VJ of people having a celebration in their home country and finding out later that it was "married enough" for the USA (even if not actually a legal marriage).

Celebrate after the legal marriage.

I'd recommend against this. There have been issues reported here on VJ of people having a celebration in their home country and finding out later that it was "married enough" for the USA (even if not actually a legal marriage).

Celebrate after the legal marriage.

I don't have much experience in this so I can't say what would happen. I do remember reading earlier VJ threads where the issue was relatively cultural--a man paid a dowry in a country where customs dictate that the dowry payment is indeed the stage that makes the marriage official, even though this man was rather Western culturally and did this simply to follow tradition. When applying for a fiance visa, the U.S. embassy told him that they were following local standards by considering him married, even though it was never registered anywhere. If anyone remembers this, it's a very interesting read and worth checking out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.