slowlyman

Possible to obtain a tourist visa while inside the US?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So, my soon to be ex wife is telling me she has found an attorney who can get her a 6 month tourist visa.

She entered on a K-1, we married and filed the AOS

Her AOS has since been scuttled

The marriage will be scuttled soon

Does this make any sense to you guys? Can this be true?

If her AOS from the K-1 has been terminated, I don't see how she could change her status to anything else without first leaving the US. Sounds like a lawyer looking for money.

So, my soon to be ex wife is telling me she has found an attorney who can get her a 6 month tourist visa.

Apply a tourist visa It means she has to do that in her home country. There is no shortcut for get a tourist visa in the US. There is no the US embassies/consulates in the country. In order to get a tourist visa, she needs to attend the interview at the US embassy/consulate. I have no idea where she gets the attorney who gives her such a bad advise. And no any attorneys can use their power to influence the embassy to issued a visa.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I-539 filing?

She came with K-1 visa and it says on the instruction that K-1 is not allowed to use this form.

http://www.american.edu/ocl/isss/upload/i-539-instructions.pdf

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From the I-539 instructions: A list of those NOT eligable to apply

A fiancé(e) or dependent of a fiancé(e) (K)(1) or (K)(2).
A spouse (K-3) of a U.S. citizen and his or her children (K-4),
accorded such status pursuant to the LIFE Act, may not
change to another nonimmigrant status.
Seems to me the attorney is blowing smoke. OR, my wife is lying. Wouldn't be the first time.
Edited by slowlyman

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The lawyer either doesn't exist or doesn't know anything about immigration matters. I wonder if she has been talking to some Thai people about what to do rather than a lawyer. This type of thinking is common on the streets of Thailand.

This is just an attempt to either make you mad or extort money because there is no way she could get a tourist visa now or at any time in the future. Her track record will now follow her even back to Thailand where any future attempts to get any visa will be very difficult because of what she has done. She will never be granted a tourist visa.

If she stayed those 6 months what would she do? She cant work; may not have money including legal fees. Where would she live?

Slowlyman you found your way thru the maze to help her arrive. Just use that same thinking to ease her out and you will finally exit the maze a little wounded but whole again. I am sorry this happened to you and hope for the best now.

Edited by Ning

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Chances are her lawyer is scamming her, or she is scamming you, or both. You can't get a tourist visa inside the US.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Apply a tourist visa It means she has to do that in her home country. There is no shortcut for get a tourist visa in the US. There is no the US embassies/consulates in the country. In order to get a tourist visa, she needs to attend the interview at the US embassy/consulate. I have no idea where she gets the attorney who gives her such a bad advise. And no any attorneys can use their power to influence the embassy to issued a visa.

The " lawyer " has to be totally ignorant of immigration law and circumstance. My guess is this " lawyer " is driving a tuk tuk or a bar stool in Thailand. She is probably calling Thailand trying to save face because Slowlyman is divorcing her therefore she will be forced to go back.

She will never leave Thailand for the USA again due to what she has done to her husband I hope.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I doubt she's found an attorney. More than likely someone giving her advice that doesn't know $hit about immigration. She's already out of status. I have a feeling she's going to be paying a pretty high price to these folks whoever they are, and it aint gonna be fun for her. She's out of her element here in the U.S. If she was smart she would get on a plane and go back to Isaan, but that's not likely.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just to add to my previous comment, the fact that she didn't wait until she got the green card before she started all this divorce talk, makes it really obvious that whoever is giving her this advice either doesn't have a clue, or has some bad intentions.

A local police task force has raided 10 Dallas massage parlors suspected of prostitution and arrested 21 foreign nationals on immigration charges, federal authorities said.

The North Texas Trafficking Task Force served search warrants Wednesday at businesses located in the 11300 block of Emerald Street and the 2100 block of Northwest Highway.

The businesses also are suspected of harboring illegal immigrants, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations division and Dallas police took part in the bust, in which 18 women from Thailand were arrested for immigration violations along with three from South Korea. One of the women also was charged with possessing methamphetamine.

The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office will decide whether to bring additional charges related to running an illegal sex-oriented business.

Search warrants also were served at the Irving home of a business owner. Federal agents seized about $640,000 in cash, along with computers, cell phones and documents.

Authorities are cracking down on the sex industry to rescue victims of human trafficking and arrest those responsible, said David M. Marwell, special agent in charge of HSI Dallas.

“However, the best way of attacking human trafficking is by increasing public awareness of this crime,” he said.

Dallas police vice officers have made numerous prostitution cases during the investigation, ICE said. Investigators want to know whether women were forced into working at the massage parlors.

The investigation “revealed a revolving door of owners and female workers” in the 10 massage parlors, which have different owners, ICE said.

“The employees are often rotated throughout the United States to work in other massage parlors and prostitution establishments,” ICE said.

The owners only visited the massage parlors to pick up money and make bank deposits, according to ICE.

The task force is made up of 17 law enforcement agencies whose mission is to prosecute human traffickers and rescue their victims.

Source: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/feds-and-dallas-police-bust-10-massage-parlors-arrest-21-foreign-nationals.html/

The above could be her future, if she keeps listening to people she just met here in the U.S.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.