28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
18 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I have hired a family law attorney and currently working to draft up a divorce petition. I have twelve pages plus of documentation of events, dates, audio and video as well as photos of things that happened. As well as video evidence of the baby being left home alone. 

I know many petitioners are retirees and close to that age, but I'm still quite young and have my entire life ahead. I don't want to be stuck paying for her and her two minor children to live forever because I signed some affidavit of support. Technically it's 32k at 125% poverty level. 

Since our marriage was only two years, my lawyer says, alimony will most likely not be awarded. I don't live in a 50/50 state. 

But I feel it's either deal with the ####### and ongoing neglect of our baby, or divorce and be stuck paying according to the Affidavit of Support. There's no way out. I had no idea she was going to be this way, she certainly didn't act like this when we met and during our courtship. 

Not sure about the age of Petitioners.

With small children I would have thought younger.

Is your Lawyer familiar with the I 864, actually the bigger issue is f her Layer os familiar with the I 864. Hopefully not.

I think there is a duty to mitigate but that probably does not help with small children involved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I know many petitioners are retirees and close to that age

Not sure where you would ever get this idea. I've been on VJ for a dozen years and this is very far from the truth. Most petitioners, are in fact, far below retirement age.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
21 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

We've been married just two years and I'm filing for divorce. I can't stand my wife. I've fallen out of love and don't like the way she treats me. She's also been neglecting our baby. 

She has two kids of her own that I'm a step parent to, but never adopted. She's dead set on fighting the divorce and says she doesn't have to work and expects me to support her and her two kids for the next ten years because of the Affidavit of Support I filed on their behalf. 

She does have an education and she is working, so she has the ability to support herself. 

Am I expected to support her for ten years when she's capable of working? For her sake and the sake of her kids she should be working. As I am asking for sole custody of our baby, she would be required to pay child support. 

I think you should just get a lawyer.  Your marital problems are all over this site.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I had no idea she was going to be this way, she certainly didn't act like this when we met and during our courtship. 

This is the problem when people marry and petition foreign spouses after one or two in-person vacations together.  Really not surprising that it was never enough time to build a foundation for a lifetime.

Edited by SalishSea

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cathi said:

Not sure where you would ever get this idea. I've been on VJ for a dozen years and this is very far from the truth. Most petitioners, are in fact, far below retirement age.

There is a certain demographic of aged petitioners who seek out young, primarily Asian brides.  Some of the country-specific subforums are chock-a-block with them.

Edited by SalishSea

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

This is the problem when people marry and petition foreign spouses after one or two in-person vacations together.  Really not surprising that it was never enough time to build a foundation for a lifetime.

This is a good general observation, whether or not it applies to the OP's specific situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Just now, TBoneTX said:

This is a good general observation, whether or not it applies to the OP's specific situation.

Yes, meant as a general observation, not necessarily OP's.  I'm sure the advent of international dating apps and gaming has contributed to international relationships, which are expensive and time consuming to develop and maintain.  

Timeline

If there's anything else that we can suggest to assist the OP, let's do it.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

49 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

If there's anything else that we can suggest to assist the OP, let's do it.

Like in any abusive marriage situation:

1) Make copies of all vital documents. Electronic copies and physical copies

2) Put away important docs out of sight

3) Make sure all emails, social media accounts, phone passwords are secure

4) Keep calm as much as you can, do not engage in verbal arguments

5) Do not share plans about divorce, your next actions etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
14 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

I have hired a family law attorney and currently working to draft up a divorce petition. I have twelve pages plus of documentation of events, dates, audio and video as well as photos of things that happened. As well as video evidence of the baby being left home alone. 

I know many petitioners are retirees and close to that age, but I'm still quite young and have my entire life ahead. I don't want to be stuck paying for her and her two minor children to live forever because I signed some affidavit of support. Technically it's 32k at 125% poverty level. 

Since our marriage was only two years, my lawyer says, alimony will most likely not be awarded. I don't live in a 50/50 state. 

But I feel it's either deal with the ####### and ongoing neglect of our baby, or divorce and be stuck paying according to the Affidavit of Support. There's no way out. I had no idea she was going to be this way, she certainly didn't act like this when we met and during our courtship. 

i figured u and she were young  and u r building a retirement for the future and the longer u stay married,  the more she can claim

in some states its married over 9 years,  ex (man of woman) is entitled to half 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/7/2024 at 9:47 PM, SalishSea said:

We met twice prior to covid. Then the Philippines was locked down for over two years. We didn't have a chance to meet there again and getting her and the kids anywhere was impossible. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

We met twice prior to covid. Then the Philippines was locked down for over two years. We didn't have a chance to meet there again and getting her and the kids anywhere was impossible. 

Well all that is too late now, you are ln a horrible position and are likely to get hosed, you have the system against you and need the most badass lawyer you can find.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

need the most badass lawyer you can find

This. ^^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.