29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I’m curious what an American’s motivation would be for marriage fraud? I had to pay for her and provide all kinds of information as you said.  Why would I go to all that trouble if I didn’t want to marry someone?

Usually money

She can remove conditions with a divorce waiver.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't see an immigration problem. I only see a marriage problem. Divorce and move on; get a good divorce lawyer. Marriages breakdown a lot of times, and USCIS even allows divorce people to extend their greencards without the help of the ex-US spouse. And you are also on hook for the affidavit of support you signed even in divorce so it will actually be to your benefit if she naturalizes at some point. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I married my wife almost 3 years ago.  She has a conditional Green Card and I am divorcing her.  She is attempting to take my house from me and has lied in court. 

It’s almost impossible for any ex to take a persons house (unless maybe you own 10) after a scant 3 years of marriage. Yes our laws can be stupid, but not that stupid.

Forget the immigration fraud angle, that ship sailed long ago. Focus on getting a competent vicious divorce lawyer to contest her claims vigorously. The brief length of marriage is favorable to you. 

In your next international romantic expedition, be very cunning. The user piranha abound and the prize doesn’t get more appealing than an American of some means.

Hasta la vista my friend!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
21 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I married my wife almost 3 years ago.  She has a conditional Green Card and I am divorcing her.  She is attempting to take my house from me and has lied in court.  I'm planning to write a letter to USCIS and was wondering if anyone else has been through this.  I want her investigated now that it has become clear that she was using me and didn't love me.  Just hoping someone can give me some good advice here.

I am sorry you are going through this. Get a good divorce lawyer and don't waste your time on immigration. You provided a LOT of proof to the government. She will be able to stay. It is in your best interest that she naturalizes as soon as possible so that your I-864 obligation ends.

Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
22 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I married my wife almost 3 years ago.  She has a conditional Green Card and I am divorcing her.  She is attempting to take my house from me and has lied in court.  I'm planning to write a letter to USCIS and was wondering if anyone else has been through this.  I want her investigated now that it has become clear that she was using me and didn't love me.  Just hoping someone can give me some good advice here.

Wow! The timing of this says a lot about her. The 3-year mark.  Get a good divorce lawyer and take his advice on whether or not to start an investigation. I hesitate to tell you to "just move on". 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, KMG said:

Wow! The timing of this says a lot about her. The 3-year mark.  Get a good divorce lawyer and take his advice on whether or not to start an investigation. I hesitate to tell you to "just move on". 

Also, there is a strong possibility she deceived him.  Yes, marriages break down, but people can also be extremely deceptive as well.  I wonder if there should be a discussion on this page on how one might be able to avoid this type of deception.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, KMG said:

Also, there is a strong possibility she deceived him.  Yes, marriages break down, but people can also be extremely deceptive as well.  I wonder if there should be a discussion on this page on how one might be able to avoid this type of deception.

Short of an admission of fraud by the Green Card holder, herself, it would be extremely difficult to prove she didn't enter the marriage in good faith, imo.  The couple have already provided a plethora of evidence to the contrary.  The fact is that the Green Card holder can continue her path to citizenship by a couple different routes....both without the cooperation of the US spouse.   The sooner she becomes a citizen, the sooner the US spouse's I-864 obligation ends. 

The divorce settlement is a separate issue, but I think proving fraud would be just as difficult in that context.  Good meaning marriages fail every day.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Short of an admission of fraud by the Green Card holder, herself, it would be extremely difficult to prove she didn't enter the marriage in good faith, imo.  The couple have already provided a plethora of evidence to the contrary.  The fact is that the Green Card holder can continue her path to citizenship by a couple different routes....both without the cooperation of the US spouse.   The sooner she becomes a citizen, the sooner the US spouse's I-864 obligation ends. 

The divorce settlement is a separate issue, but I think proving fraud would be just as difficult in that context.  Good meaning marriages fail every day.  

Yeah, would definitely be hard to prove.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KMG said:

There's possibility, but we cannot jump to conclusions based on one side of the story and limited detail. 

It would be not to immigrant's benefit to be divorcing with pending I-751. If she married OP for GC she would have likely naturalized (or at least obtained 10 year GC) and then seeked divorce. But it's the OP who's seeking divorce. Sometimes US citizens want to flex their power and if immigrant doesn't tip toe around them, start divorcing. Not saying it's the situation here, but it's also a possibility.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
16 hours ago, OldUser said:

There's possibility, but we cannot jump to conclusions based on one side of the story and limited detail. 

It would be not to immigrant's benefit to be divorcing with pending I-751. If she married OP for GC she would have likely naturalized (or at least obtained 10 year GC) and then seeked divorce. But it's the OP who's seeking divorce. Sometimes US citizens want to flex their power and if immigrant doesn't tip toe around them, start divorcing. Not saying it's the situation here, but it's also a possibility.

True. You have a point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
19 hours ago, OldUser said:

Not the case here.  I made every effort to save the marriage, including taking us to therapy, marriage workshops, etc.  she didn’t want to try, just dig in her heals and blame me for everything.  I’ve never met a more argumentative, narcissistic, entitled woman in my life.  I’m not perfect, but willing to apologize at least when I hurt someone.  Not her.  After 2 years of being pushed into arguments daily, I had to file.  Of course, it’s been a year and I can’t get her to leave, so we went to court, where she lied about me on the stand to play victim.  I am

done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

where she lied about me on the stand to play victim

Then, there is nothing you can do regarding her immigration status.  Even a divorce doesn't change your I-864 obligations. Once she obtains US citizenship, you will be free of that. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

17 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Not the case here.  I made every effort to save the marriage, including taking us to therapy, marriage workshops, etc.  she didn’t want to try, just dig in her heals and blame me for everything.  I’ve never met a more argumentative, narcissistic, entitled woman in my life.  I’m not perfect, but willing to apologize at least when I hurt someone.  Not her.  After 2 years of being pushed into arguments daily, I had to file.  Of course, it’s been a year and I can’t get her to leave, so we went to court, where she lied about me on the stand to play victim.  I am

done.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. So far I see no indicators of fraud. Just a very bad / incompatible person. Divorce seems like a logical step. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2024 at 5:20 PM, JeffAtl said:

done.

Been there, done that.

While we don't live in a perfect system, immigration and courts included, the key to our happiness is within our grasp.

Many might disagree with me when I say that courts still favor women more than men, though that is now slowly changing into a balanced approach. I too have been a victim of false allegations, the same allegations if I had made against my ex (woman), I would have been laughed out of the court with my case.

But I was able to prove her false, her punishment for lying under penalty of purgery was, "Please be nice". Appauled though I was, I learned to make peace with this along with many other things, and moved on with life.

You can write a letter. Let's say she marries another person or gets citizenship and then sponsors another person, every time she applies for an immigration benefit, this letter will surface and questions may arise.

USCIS operates on proof of marriage, they don't care 1 bit about a good husband or wife, the pain you had to endure unless your case is VAWA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.