TonyMacaroni

Has anyone been forced by the airport security to open the yellow envelope?

62 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

a dog that sniffs for money

I need to get me one of them dogs

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

11 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Are u worried about checking in ?

Well, now I’m worried significantly less thanks to replies like yours!

11 hours ago, Benny1337 said:

there are multiple ways to check if whatever is inside poses any risk beside opening it

Yeah, I guess they could use dogs, x-ray, metal detectors. It’s just that some people when granted authority get really high off of it and can go overboard.

11 hours ago, Benny1337 said:

I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Thank you for your input, it has definitely helped my paranoia.

10 hours ago, Siberia said:

i had the envelope too. My flight was through Turkey. I put it in small suitcase for hand luggage. In Turkey they check manually hand luggage but nobody asked me to open it

That’s good to know! An unrelated question: did you have a one-way ticket and if so, did they give you a hard time about that? As in, demanded that you buy a return ticket from them?

57 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Are you sure you are carrying an envelope

If we’re to assume that my sanity is still intact, I’m pretty sure I’m looking at it right now, haha.

59 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

envelope was never looked at and we transited thru 3 or 4 countries over a 3-4 day period on the way back to the US. I don't think you will have an issue.

Thank you, that’s reassuring.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
28 minutes ago, TonyMacaroni said:

some people when granted authority get really high off of it and can go overboard

The magic words are, "Please call your supervisor over here, sir."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, PVR Bound said:

I need to get me one of them dogs

I have a female dog.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, TonyMacaroni said:

That’s good to know! An unrelated question: did you have a one-way ticket and if so, did they give you a hard time about that? As in, demanded that you buy a return ticket from them?

Yeah i had one way ticket. Only strange question was How long are you going to stay in US? 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Siberia said:

Yeah i had one way ticket. Only strange question was How long are you going to stay in US? 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, TonyMacaroni said:

How are we even supposed to answer that so they’re happy? What did you answer?

Indefinitely.

You’d just tell the truth. You seem to be really overthinking everything! Just relax, enjoy the flight, and then enjoy the anti-climax of your envelope being opened and your visa being stamped by a surly immi officer that probably does it 10 times a day and will take 2 minutes to process you. 

Timeline

It has been so long for me, but I still had the unopened envelope many years later, contained my X Ray, I binned it in one of my moves. 

4 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

You’d just tell the truth. You seem to be really overthinking everything! Just relax, enjoy the flight, and then enjoy the anti-climax of your envelope being opened and your visa being stamped by a surly immi officer that probably does it 10 times a day and will take 2 minutes to process you. 

The problem is that you can tell the truth in many different ways, word it differently, with the facts staying the same. Should an airline employee want to give me a hard time, in case I just say “indefinitely”, they can say “Well, your visa grants you the permission to be there for only 90 days”. My guess it’s best to say something like “I’m getting married within 90 days and then staying in the US with my wife indefinitely”. As for the overthinking part, it’s a lot of pressure to bear when a single mistake can potentially cost you and your partner future. At least, the version of it that we so desire. But yeah, I agree, it’s a little extreme.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
30 minutes ago, TonyMacaroni said:

If asked "Do you plan to marry in the US", do not say something like "Maybe, maybe not".  That answer caused a K-1 holder to be denied entry.  In fact, that is the only K-1 entry denial that I can remember ever hearing about.  Honestly, you are overthinking this.  Don't let something like the topic of this thread to draw your attention away from the real place you need to focus on.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

it’s a lot of pressure to bear when a single mistake can potentially cost you and your partner future.

The "what if" mental gymnastics can have a negative effect on your health. Have you seen the K-1 flowsheet?  It is a good tool which lays out a structured schedule of needed actions.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.