Laure&Colin

N-400 February 2024 Filers

746 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
49 minutes ago, happydoctor said:

I would also take a proof that your taxes was paid  for at least 2023 ( bank statements where it shows if it’s not W-2 work ).

We got a refund this year so I can probably print out something from TurboTax showing that. Obviously getting a refund means we paid in the first place.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

4 hours ago, Laure&Colin said:

We got a refund this year so I can probably print out something from TurboTax showing that. Obviously getting a refund means we paid in the first place.

If you / your spouse work for W-2 and got a refund it’s because your taxes deducted from your paychecks , however , people get a refund without paying any taxes ( dependents - kids, small income ). 

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Laure&Colin said:

You just need to take the tax transcripts from the IRS website. Do you have them? That’s is sufficient. 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 
  • Interview at Chicago FO on 06/10/2024 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
49 minutes ago, happydoctor said:

If you / your spouse work for W-2 and got a refund it’s because your taxes deducted from your paychecks , however , people get a refund without paying any taxes ( dependents - kids, small income ). 

I just checked the tax transcripts and they show the amount withheld during the year. We both do regular salaried jobs.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

On 5/10/2024 at 2:13 PM, Laure&Colin said:

Preparing for my interview (very) early Tuesday morning, here's my checklist of documents to bring, considering I'm applying under the 5-year rule:

- interview letter

- green card

- passport

- driver's license

- tax transcripts x 5

- marriage certificate with translation

- electricity bill and first pages of lease for proof of residence

Am I missing anything?

I was thinking of bringing my husband's birth certificate just in case - we happen to have one, it even has an apostille (we needed it to get married in France). I'm not bringing proof of bona fide marriage since I'm under the 5-year rule, but I could pull thousands and thousands of pictures of us throughout the years on my phone during the interview if necessary. The lease is also in both our names.

I brought everything and only got asked my GC, Passport, and DL and invitation letter at the entrance. That was it. They had everything else on file.

On 5/9/2024 at 6:29 AM, Winbig said:

@Laure&Colin, Really great work for not only starting this group but for compiling and updating this tracker. It has been really helpful in managing expectations (and emotions 😊). Thank you.

I attended my combo interview yesterday with my spouse. It was a smooth process. The IO was professional and kept to time ( by that, I mean he started the process only 5 minutes late).
He Interviewed my spouse first while I waited. That only lasted 3-5 mins. She came out and passed the baton to me.

My bit lasted about 40 minutes. He started with the ROC part, then the Naturalization bit next starting with the English and Civics tests, reviewed my form by asking me almost all the questions on the form again. There were a few updates which I signed off on. 

Anyway, to shorten the not so long story (but lengthy write up), All went well and he issued the slip that confirmed I passed and congratulated me. By end of the day, case got updated to “Oath to be scheduled “.

All the best to everyone lined up or still waiting for a date. 🤟🏾🤟🏾

What do they ask the USC spouse?

To everybody who didn't have any update, I noticed something, I don't know if it can help. I was waiting for about 3 months, then I have uploaded the 2023 tax return on the USCIS website and, magically, after 2 weeks, I got the interview notice.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, YellowDuneBuggy said:

To everybody who didn't have any update, I noticed something, I don't know if it can help. I was waiting for about 3 months, then I have uploaded the 2023 tax return on the USCIS website and, magically, after 2 weeks, I got the interview notice.

That had nothing to do with it tbh.

You and someone else who applied on the same day from the same field office in this thread both got interviews on the same day. 

10 hours ago, Duggu said:

Filed Feb 7th, nothing since.  

I feel this - the waiting is tough, especially as people who filed after you get interviews and oath ceremonies, but good things come to those who wait!😀

Timeline
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 2:31 PM, happydoctor said:

I would also take a proof that your taxes was paid  for at least 2023 ( bank statements where it shows if it’s not W-2 work ).

Tax transcripts from the IRS are proof of that, and mentioned in the original list. 

Edited by minivatreni

1 hour ago, YellowDuneBuggy said:

I wasn't asked to upload any taxes on my N-400 application. It just ask for my greencard front and back. And some selective service that isn't applicable to person above 31.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, BlackPearl9 said:

I wasn't asked to upload any taxes on my N-400 application. It just ask for my greencard front and back. And some selective service that isn't applicable to person above 31.

It’s optional and advised to upload it 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.