Jane1122

Learned Fiance has an Arrest Warrant for a Serious Criminal Offense

34 posts in this topic

I have recently found out my Fiance has an arrest warrant out for her in her home Country. She is currently unable to fly back there, or anywhere it seems, as I believe this arrest warrant is visible on Interpol.  This and several other issues that have cometo light have led to several issues between us to the point where I am now considering a divorce.

We were married 2 years ago, and my wife needs to renew her Visa in February of next year.

Apart from getting a divorce, is there anything else I should do regarding this situation?  I have contacted the immigration attorney we spoke to during our process, and she has advised to dissasociate with this person as soon as possible (which I am taking steps towards that).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Fiance or wife

you say both

Renew what visa?  with an arrest warrant out for her  and posted on interpol,  how does she expect visa to be renewed ?

i would file divorce papers before she leaves the US and then buy her  a 1 way  ticket home

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Effects of Major Family Changes forum.

6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

i would file divorce papers before she leaves the US and then buy her  a 1 way  ticket home

I agree with this plan.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Jane1122 said:

my wife needs to renew her Visa

Do you mean passport?

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

14 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Fiance or wife

you say both

Renew what visa?  with an arrest warrant out for her  and posted on interpol,  how does she expect visa to be renewed ?

Wife, sorry.  I am thinking she will try to apply for a Visa by herself after divorce, but I agree with you I am not sure how she will proceed.  The Immigration lawyer said that since she already went through a background check as part of the K1 Visa process, it is possible they do not perform another background check.

I am in the process of filing for divorce, I do not plan to buy her any ticket anywhere. I would think she would not be stupid enough to fly but who knows.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Jane1122 said:

She currently has a green card which was valid for 2 years, it expires next year.  She has her passport from her home country.

Ah -- removing conditions on the green card.  I agree with Crazy Cat's response just above.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

She's not here on a visa anymore. She has her GC and will be able to remove conditions on her own. 

What I want to know is when did this warrant come to light? What crime is it said she committed? If this is a crime that happened before she received her visa, she can lose everything if it was approved on a lie. 

Please say you found this out by official sources and not from so and so that so and so knows kind of thing? It would not be the first time someone back home tries to destroy someone's life. 

Agree, u (or your lawyer ) can find out for sure

if there is a warrant ,  phone your police (after u file the divorce papers)

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

You can divorce, but there is nothing you can do regarding immigration other than to refuse to cooperate in her removal of conditions.  You remain obligated by the I-864. 

When I spoke to my lawyer, she mentioned something about the I-864 not being applicable anymore.  I need to go over my notes when I get home.

I am not sure if its because she is working already, or as another user mentioned she already has her green card.

1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

She's not here on a visa anymore. She has her GC and will be able to remove conditions on her own. 

What I want to know is when did this warrant come to light? What crime is it said she committed? If this is a crime that happened before she received her visa, she can lose everything if it was approved on a lie. 

Please say you found this out by official sources and not from so and so that so and so knows kind of thing? It would not be the first time someone back home tries to destroy someone's life. 

The warrant came to light about several months ago.  I dont necessarily want to get into the details, but it is a felony level offense as I understand.  The issue is I have not seen the arrest warrant.  She has not wanted to provide it to me. I spoke with a lawyer in her home country, and although they can validate that she in fact does have an arrest warrant, they will only give it to her or if she gives the power to someone to go and obtain it.

As to whether it happened before she received her Visa, I am not sure 100% sure at this point.

I found this out from her, she was the one that told me there was an arrest warrant out for her...also several news articles came out in her country talking about the situation (does not involve just her), it was something several reporting agencies wrote about.  In addition, as I mentioned, I had a lawyer I knew and had used before in the country who verified she has an arrest warrant.

I was and still am pretty shocked at everything honestly.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

Agree, u (or your lawyer ) can find out for sure

if there is a warrant ,  phone your police (after u file the divorce papers)

What would I tell the police though? I dont think they have access to interpol?  I would maybe have to conact ICE or USCIS, but I am unsure if I want anything to do with that to be honest.  I am still pending to have some discussions my the immigration lawyer.

I posted on here to see what other opinions were out there, I had tried searching on the forum but couldnt necessarily find a situation that was similar.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.