travelereaux

First US entry without USC spouse

17 posts in this topic

My foreign spouse was recently approved for permanent residence and has a visa in her passport from the Embassy. They told her she has approx 6 months to enter the United States. Will she be denied entry if she flies to the US without me?

I am stationed in Europe for work (contractor, not military employee) and we have a 3 month old baby , with no one we trust the baby with for 36 hours for us to fly to the US and back. And my job does not end for 8 months so we can't immediately move back to the US together. The goal is just to activate her visa and get the PR card. Can we accomplish that by simply having her fly to the US alone, the turn around and fly back here the next day?

The only addresses I listed with USCIS, NVC, and the Embassy are my permanent address in the US and my parents address there (for receiving mail). Legally, I believe I am domiciled and resident In the US and not "living overseas" in the sense of having changed my domicile because this is a temporary overseas assignment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, travelereaux said:

Can we accomplish that by simply having her fly to the US alone, the turn around and fly back here the next day?

Only if you accompany her.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, travelereaux said:

My foreign spouse was recently approved for permanent residence and has a visa in her passport from the Embassy. They told her she has approx 6 months to enter the United States. Will she be denied entry if she flies to the US without me?

I am stationed in Europe for work (contractor, not military employee) and we have a 3 month old baby , with no one we trust the baby with for 36 hours for us to fly to the US and back. And my job does not end for 8 months so we can't immediately move back to the US together. The goal is just to activate her visa and get the PR card. Can we accomplish that by simply having her fly to the US alone, the turn around and fly back here the next day?

The only addresses I listed with USCIS, NVC, and the Embassy are my permanent address in the US and my parents address there (for receiving mail). Legally, I believe I am domiciled and resident In the US and not "living overseas" in the sense of having changed my domicile because this is a temporary overseas assignment.

Nope.   She can only enter the U.S. on her immigrant visa if you are already in the U.S., or are accompanying her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, travelereaux said:

Will she be denied entry if she flies to the US without me?

Yep

3 hours ago, travelereaux said:

Can we accomplish that by simply having her fly to the US alone, the turn around and fly back here the next day?

Nope

I have the feeling that this should have been planned better... But that's water under the bridge.

Fly together as a family, then go back to Europe.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Sadly your options seem limited. If possible I would suggest you fly with them just to activate it and then return to finish packing and getting everything ready for the move together. I have heard of couples doing it. The immigrant visa is meant for a foreign spouse to join their US citizen spouse. Also, check with the US consulate or embassy about the steps for reissuance. I looked it up a little and it is almost like starting from scratch. Your spouse would have to redo the physical and if the ds-260 is over a year old you have to pay it again. The Civil documents might also not be valid so you might need to get a new police certificate, set up an appointment again etc. Just email the consulate/embassy and check flights to see what options you have. Your spouse going to the US without you could be risky if you are not there with her because of the purpose of the visa. Sorry! Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Babies under 2 fly free, if IIRC..So, problem solved. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How'd you guys establish domicile if you're not living in the US?  

Take the baby and fly to the US.  Take a couple of days off and spend some time here.  Then go back to Europe.  As pushbrk said, you missed the boat for where you could have delayed your case.  

Also keep in mind that the clock starts ticking when that PR is activated, so the expectation is that your wife will reside in the US.  You don't want to be outside of the US for too long or it will raise flags with CBP and USCIS.  Check her visa in her passport.  The 6 months is typically from the date of her medical.  Push out her entry until closer to the visa's expiration (not too close - that has bit people in the past), enter the US together and then head back to Europe.  Delaying even 2 months, if you have 8 months left on your contract, keeps her out of the US only 6mo and that looks less sketchy.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

19 hours ago, travelereaux said:

They told her she has approx 6 months to enter the United States.

Just to be clear, she doesn't have 'approx 6 months', she will have a very specific date that she has to enter by, and that will be on her visa. Make sure she enters at least a few days before that deadline. 

Good luck. 

23 minutes ago, mam521 said:

How'd you guys establish domicile if you're not living in the US?  

Take the baby and fly to the US.  Take a couple of days off and spend some time here.  Then go back to Europe.  As pushbrk said, you missed the boat for where you could have delayed your case.  

Also keep in mind that the clock starts ticking when that PR is activated, so the expectation is that your wife will reside in the US.  You don't want to be outside of the US for too long or it will raise flags with CBP and USCIS.  Check her visa in her passport.  The 6 months is typically from the date of her medical.  Push out her entry until closer to the visa's expiration (not too close - that has bit people in the past), enter the US together and then head back to Europe.  Delaying even 2 months, if you have 8 months left on your contract, keeps her out of the US only 6mo and that looks less sketchy.  

Domicile is a complex determination that probably requires at least some formal legal education to understand. But there are a few overriding principles including that a person can only have one domicile at any given time. And where you are currently physically located or living has little to no bearing on where your domicile is.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/domicile

Great point about the 8 months remaining on my contract (which brought me temporarily overseas). I read up on the 6 months rule and it sounds like a lot of suspicion and hassle is reduced if she avoids being outside the US beyond that length of time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, travelereaux said:

Domicile is a complex determination that probably requires at least some formal legal education to understand. But there are a few overriding principles including that a person can only have one domicile at any given time. And where you are currently physically located or living has little to no bearing on where your domicile is.

Great point about the 8 months remaining on my contract (which brought me temporarily overseas). I read up on the 6 months rule and it sounds like a lot of suspicion and hassle is reduced if she avoids being outside the US beyond that length of time.

I'm well aware that domicile is a complicated situation, but it's still a valid question to ask.  I come from a country where the consulate is EXTREMELY strict about proof of domicile, hence my asking. 

If you can squeak it in that she meets substantial presence for this year, it will look even cleaner.  She can also begin accruing her time towards petitioning for citizenship, should that be in the future cards.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, travelereaux said:

And where you are currently physically located or living has little to no bearing on where your domicile is.

That is a broad statement. It can be pretty important for US immigration. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, travelereaux said:

Also, she has the visa, so domicile, at this point, is a moot point.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 months later...

So to update on what happened, both the Embassy and USCIS said her entering alone would not be a problem. And when she entered that turned out to be true-- it was not a problem.

She even discussed the fact that I was staying behind with the officer who processed her because he asked where I was and where our baby was. She answered honestly that we were staying in Europe.

I suppose there will be responses claiming this is some massively unlikely exception.... however exactly two weeks later my friend's wife did the exact same thing. Again no issues or problems. 

Both did quick turnaround flights where the return flight was ~24 hours after arrival in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.