Brandon&Re

Any way for emergency petition for mother and brother of USC?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello friends,

I'm asking for your help again.  I asked about this similarly a while back and got some great advice.  Unfortunately the situation has gotten worse for my mother-in-law and brother-in-law.  My wife is originally from Brazil and came here on a K-1, we've been married for 12 years now and she became a USC 3 years ago.  We're trying to see if there is anything that we can do for her mom and brother.

Long story short, her mom is in an abusive relationship and her brother usually gets the physical end as he has to defend his mother.  He tried to commit suicide in November and was unsuccessful, thank God, but honestly has no remorse from it.  Everyone is afraid that he might try to do it again.  We're looking for a way out of the house and the relationship but I was wondering if there was any way to bring them here that doesn't take decades to do.

I'm open to any and all advice and I appreciate everyone's response.

Thank you!

Timeline:
12/13/2008: First time meeting.
11/15/2010: First started talking.
02/23/2011: First time meeting in person <3.
03/13/2011: Got engaged!
04/15/2011: I-129F package mailed.
04/19/2011: NOA1 Received.
04/23/2011: Touched.
07/12/2011: NOA2 Received.
10/18/2011: Interview in Rio de Janeiro!!!!!
11/05/2011: Arrived in the US.
12/10/2011: Married <3.

03/08/2014: AOS Packet mailed.

03/17/2014: I-485 NOA1 Received.

04/14/2014: Biometrics Appointment.

07/03/2014: I-765 Approved!

07/09/2014: AOS Approved with no Interview!!

09/14/2020: N-400 Filed.

01/07/2021: Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!

18-24 months for your wife’s mother as there’s no numerical limitations on the number of visas that can be issued to immediate relatives of US citizens. I do not think the situation you described qualifies for an expedite; usually it’s the petitioner whose circumstances come into play for an expedite. But of course it’s free to try. 

For the brother however, since he is not an immediate relative, by law there are numerical limitations on how many F4 visas are issued per year which created a massive backlog. It’s about 20 year wait which probably will only increase with time and it’s not possible at all to ask for any expedited or any exceptions as again, it’s just not possible as the law caps how many are issued a year and you just have to wait for your visa number to become current (~20 years).

A little quicker way would be for the mom to petition for him once she becomes an LPR which would take 10 years at the very least. Again, this is due to numerical limitations set in stone I explained above, this time the category is F2B and he must remain unmarried.

There’s of course a bigger issue of self harm and mental health issues that come into play at the immigration medical down the line once the interview is scheduled. If he is deemed a danger to himself or others he will be inadmissible and will not be able to receive a visa and immigrate.

You have to rest each and study the visa bulletin and how it works. Start googling and reading up on it, that determines when a visa nubs be becomes available.

1 hour ago, Brandon&amp;Re said:

Hello friends,

I'm asking for your help again.  I asked about this similarly a while back and got some great advice.  Unfortunately the situation has gotten worse for my mother-in-law and brother-in-law.  My wife is originally from Brazil and came here on a K-1, we've been married for 12 years now and she became a USC 3 years ago.  We're trying to see if there is anything that we can do for her mom and brother.

Long story short, her mom is in an abusive relationship and her brother usually gets the physical end as he has to defend his mother.  He tried to commit suicide in November and was unsuccessful, thank God, but honestly has no remorse from it.  Everyone is afraid that he might try to do it again.  We're looking for a way out of the house and the relationship but I was wondering if there was any way to bring them here that doesn't take decades to do.

Thank you!

A US visa is not the appropriate answer to his mental health issues, and with his history, he may never get one.  Please try to get help for them locally.  It sounds like a dire situation, and even if it was not, there is no expediting sibling visas.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He needs resources from his home country to address his mental health. Also for both to leave abusive partner. The family can help them move somewhere else. 

it is still 2-3 years before mom can come. She will be leaving to be by himself. When it is his turn to come he will need his medical eval and an eval from Psychiatrist. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

She needs help and support. A immigration process will not bring this to her. If she is unsafe you can help her to move to another State. Brazil is huge. You also have a lot of nice and close countries that she does not need a visa to go and apply for residency like Uruguay and Argentina.

I’m really sorry for her situation but like others said this is not the solution here now. She needs mental health help ASAP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

l participated in your thread a year ago. Nothing has changed and it seems that the Parents were not petitioned.

The Sibling is 31 so would be looking at retiring in the US through the F4 route.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, Brandon&amp;Re said:

Hello friends,

Thank you!

Aside from the US immigration advice for both which you have already received, there is an urgent need for both of them to get out of their current place of residence.  If you are in a position to help them financially, to move out and get their own apartment, that should be your first priority.  Once in a safe place, unknown to the abuser, she should also file for divorce and a protective order.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.