Rearviewmirror

N-400 January 2024 filers

504 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Business casual is more the way to go. But if you want to rock that dress, go for it,

it's your day🙂

Thank you! I'll probably go for something a lil less extravagant lol. I also don't want to feel uncomfortable being way too overdressed. I came across some old posts from people years ago that really dressed up with suits and long dresses and I was hoping that was still a thing haha!

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

On 3/31/2024 at 10:50 AM, Rhythmlicious said:

Did anyone take the oath yet? My interview is this week and since it's at 3 pm, I assume I won't have same day oath ceremony if all goes well. 

I'm just debating what to wear. I've seen a stunning floor length, gala style red dress that I personally think would be very appropriate, but maybe I'm expecting way too much lol.

What is everyone else planning to wear?

I just took the oath today. I wore a knee-length, bright blue button front dress with a matching belt, and 1-in black pumps. Most people in the room were dressed about the same, generally somewhere between business casual to business formal.

Edited by cardia
Missing words

On 3/31/2024 at 11:42 AM, Rhythmlicious said:

Yes me :) I filed January 5th and my interview is this Wednesday. 

Good luck with your interview tomorrow!

When did you get the actual letter about the interview ( how many days / weeks before the interview)?  Our postman doesn’t really do a good job recently, and I worry about getting the letter in time .

02/08/2019 - Package was received .

On 4/2/2024 at 10:41 AM, minivatreni said:

Obtain your Tax Return Transcript, it's a couple of pages. Do not upload the return itself. 

More info here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Thanks a lot ! I checked , it only shows 2020-2023 on the irs.site , no 2019.

1 hour ago, happydoctor said:

When did you get the actual letter about the interview ( how many days / weeks before the interview)?  Our postman doesn’t really do a good job recently, and I worry about getting the letter in time .

You should receive the notice about about 3-4 weeks prior to your interview.

If you filed N-400 online, I would strongly recommend checking the "Documents" tab regularly if your mail is not being delivered as expected. All notices pertinent to your case are posted there the moment they are generated. You should expect to see the paper copy about 1-2 weeks after a notice is posted online to your account.

You can print the online copy and use it at your interview, in case you find that your interview notice was somehow not delivered at all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, cardia said:

If you filed N-400 online, I would strongly recommend checking the "Documents" tab regularly if your mail is not being delivered as expected. All notices pertinent to your case are posted there the moment they are generated. You should expect to see the paper copy about 1-2 weeks after a notice is posted online to your account.

You can print the online copy and use it at your interview, in case you find that your interview notice was somehow not delivered at all.

I use the Lawfully app for this reason. As soon as I get an interview, I will be notified via the app. 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello guys! 

I had my N-400 interview today at the Miami, field office. 

I applied on the grounds of marriage with a U.S. citizen. 

I passed my US naturalization interview,  The civics test was first, very easy, but afterwards the interview turned “intense”. 

The immigration officer was always nice and respectful. However, he meticulously scrutinized my immigration history, as well as my husband’s. Then he dived deep into our relationship, seemingly searching for any hint of past fraud. Interestingly, our previous interviews – for the marriage (I-485) and the removal of conditions – were smooth; the latter even had the interview waived, and I received the green card in the mail.

The officer focused on a period when we had to live apart for 11 months – me in Boston and him in Miami – during our third year of marriage while I was pursuing a research postdoc at Harvard. I had to demonstrate that our marital union remained intact throughout that period to be eligible based on marriage to a US citizen. I provided photos of his many trips to Boston, my visits to Miami, hundreds of minutes of phone call records, as well as joint financial and insurance documents with my Mass address and both our names on them to prove our continued commitment. Despite the officer’s scrutiny, I was well-prepared; I had studied the USCIS policy manual to anticipate questions about our marriage and this time apart.

He then said he was going to recommend approval and put me in line for Judicial Oath Ceremony schedule. (At a courthouse given a name change request).  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jacobo said:

Hello guys! 

I passed my US naturalization interview,  The civics test was first, very easy, but afterwards the interview turned “intense”. 

The immigration officer was always nice and respectful. However, he meticulously scrutinized my immigration history, as well as my husband’s. Then he dived deep into our relationship, seemingly searching for any hint of past fraud. Interestingly, our previous interviews – for the marriage (I-485) and the removal of conditions – were smooth; the latter even had the interview waived, and I received the green card in the mail.

The officer focused on a period when we had to live apart for 11 months – me in Boston and him in Miami – during our third year of marriage while I was pursuing a research postdoc at Harvard. I had to demonstrate that our marital union remained intact throughout that period to be eligible based on marriage to a US citizen. I provided photos of his many trips to Boston, my visits to Miami, hundreds of minutes of phone call records, as well as joint financial and insurance documents with my Mass address and both our names on them to prove our continued commitment. Despite the officer’s scrutiny, I was well-prepared; I had studied the USCIS policy manual to anticipate questions about our marriage and this time apart.

He then said he was going to recommend approval and put me in line for Judicial Oath Ceremony schedule. (At a courthouse given a name change request).  

Well thankfully after this you’ll be done with immigration procedures. Not sure why you were given a hard time if if you already underwent removal of conditions! 

• Arrived to USA on F-1 Student Visa on 08/16/2016
  • Submitted I-485 & I-130 on 09/25/2017
  • Approved Green Card (IR7 category) on 05/17/2019
  • Electronically submitted N-400 on 02/19/2024
  • Biometrics Reuse received on 02/19/2024
  • Interview Notice received on 04/21/2024 (interview scheduled for 06/10/2024 at Chicago FO)

20 minutes ago, Jacobo said:

Hello guys! 

Awesome! Great that you came prepared and convinced the officer your marriage is legitimate. How close were you to be eligible under 5 years rule and would you pick that route knowing what you know now?

12 minutes ago, minivatreni said:

Well thankfully after this you’ll be done with immigration procedures. Not sure why you were given a hard time if if you already underwent removal of conditions! 

Because each stage is an opportunity to scrutinize immigration history. It's designed that way. And N-400 is the hardest one really, despite what everybody say. It's the biggest immigration benefit that USCIS can give and won't be able to revoke easily. Treat each interview as if you started from scratch. Don't assume because something was approved before it will be approved easily now.

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Because each stage is an opportunity to scrutinize immigration history. It's designed that way. And N-400 is the hardest one really, despite what everybody say. It's the biggest immigration benefit that USCIS can give and won't be able to revoke easily. Treat each interview as if you started from scratch. Don't assume because something was approved before it will be approved easily now.

You’re totally right! And that makes total sense

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Awesome! Great that you came prepared and convinced the officer your marriage is legitimate. How close were you to be eligible under 5 years rule and would you pick that route knowing what you know now?

Oh I wasn't close to the five years. I applied under the 3 year rule; actually 2 months before my 3 year anniversary as LPR

21 minutes ago, Jacobo said:

Oh I wasn't close to the five years. I applied under the 3 year rule; actually 2 months before my 3 year anniversary as LPR

I see. Well, you're almost at the finish line, so congratulations!

Hopefully you won't need it, but you can sue USCIS for decision (Writ of Mandamus) after 60 days past your interview. 

Edited by OldUser

14 hours ago, cardia said:

Thank you so much ! It’s very helpful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.