Hocnos

Travel on ESTA with issued, valid but unactivated CR1 visa in the passport

13 posts in this topic

Hi all. I know this might sound like a very strange question, but theoretically, if one is issued CR1 visa, could that person still travel to the US on ESTA for a visit, and not activate the residency (i551)? I know there are certain rules for multiple visa holders, but I can't find anything about this particular situation. In this scenario, the CR1 visa would be still valid. Any ideas?

Edited by Hocnos

• Hocnos changed the title to Travel on ESTA with issued, valid but unactivated CR1 visa in the passport
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Hocnos said:

Hi all. I know this might sound like a very strange question, but theoretically, if one is issued CR1 visa, could that person still travel to the US on ESTA for a visit, and not activate the residency (i551)? I know there are certain rules for multiple visa holders, but I can't find anything about this particular situation. In this scenario, the CR1 visa would be still valid. Any ideas?

Maybe, but why?  Why the "theoretical question"?

If you were allowed to enter, without having the immigrant visa endorsed then yes, the visa would remain valid until either used or it expires.  You could also, enter USING the CR1 or IR1 visa, but not stay long.  Your date of residency status would be established, and you would need to come back and start actually "residing" in the USA before within six months or so anyway.  So, again, "why"?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It may be possible, but is at the discretion of CBP.  I found this old thread that seems to indicate land borders are more likely to allow the choice, but this a fairly rare question.  I can see the possibilities from the tax perspective,  it like I said, I believe it is ultimately up to CBP.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

I found this old thread that seems to indicate land borders are more likely to allow the choice, but this a fairly rare question.

Thanks for the link to the old post, that was an interesting read. But seems the takeaway is that it won't be realistically possible. I would still be interested in knowing whether there are any official rules/guidance for CBP, or if its all just up to their interpretation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, Hocnos said:

For example: taxes. If you can postpone the start of your residency to the next year, your tax obligations would start in the next year, which might have significant financial implications.

SISU

u were apprvoed 10 /2

u can enter and not worry about tax issues

form 2555 when taxes are filed will exempt u for $112,000 of foreign  income

Line  37 Maximum foreign earned income exclusion. Enter $112,000 .of the form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555.pdf

Jeanne Niemi

6 hours ago, Hocnos said:

if one is issued CR1 visa, could that person still travel to the US on ESTA for a visit, and not activate the residency (i551)?

@Family One tried something like that, but it didn't quite work out.  Not on ESTA, but on B2 --

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can think of a few very viable reasons you would not want to trigger residency.

I can only think of going through a pre inspection site like Dublin so you can back out if needed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

form 2555 when taxes are filed will exempt u for $112,000 of foreign  income

Thanks, but the tax situation is more complicated with foreign assets and investment accounts. Just considering the strategies.

46 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I can only think of going through a pre inspection site like Dublin so you can back out if needed.

That's an interesting idea! Perhaps explaining to CBP  the intent to just visit for holidays and postponing the final IV move to later due to timing/logistic reasons could work, but relies on CBP's understanding and discretion. I wish there would be an official guidance on this.

Edited by Hocnos

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hocnos said:

Thanks, but the tax situation is more complicated with foreign assets and investment accounts. Just considering the strategies.

Your plan to live in US/the foreign assets and investments will  always be a factor -no matter when u enter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Your plan to live in US/the foreign assets and investments will  always be a factor -no matter when u enter

Probably a timing issue, it can get complicated.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.