C & B_27

I had an approved K1 Visa in 2017, but didn't use it and it expired. Now I'm getting married with another person, and planning to file for CR1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, everyone. I hope you can help us.

I met my ex fiance in 2017 and filed for K1 Visa. I got approved but things didn't go well, so we went separate ways and I didn't use my visa at all and it just expired.

I met my current fiance, and we will get married this year December. And we're planning to file for CR1 Visa after.

would there be an issue with the filing because of my previous K1 visa? Should that have been cancelled by my ex fiance? I lost contact with him already.

Also, my fiance is a permanent resident and got arrested for possession of drugs when he was young. Would that be a hindrance?

Thank you so much. ❤️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, C & B_27 said:

And we're planning to file for CR1 Visa

Also, my fiance is a permanent resident

Since he is not a US citizen, then visa you would get is an F2A. I estimate the wait time to be  currently 11 years for that.

and got arrested for possession of drugs when he was young. Would that be a hindrance?

Yes because drugs can be a permanent inadmissibility. So his permanent resident status is at risk.

Your case is not DIY.

6 minutes ago, C & B_27 said:

my fiance is a permanent resident

Do you mean that your fiance is a green card holder, not a US citizen?  If so, your visa process will be F2A, not CR1.  CR1 is only for spouses of US citizens.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You met your Fiance and he will be returning to marry you 

I am not as pessimistic about the wait time but will certainly take time

I suppose it is a positive he was able to travel and reenter

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, C & B_27 said:

I met my ex fiance in 2017 and filed for K1 Visa. I got approved but things didn't go well, so we went separate ways and I didn't use my visa at all and it just expired.

I met my current fiance, and we will get married this year December. And we're planning to file for CR1 Visa after.

would there be an issue with the filing because of my previous K1 visa? Should that have been cancelled by my ex fiance? I lost contact with him already.

Also, my fiance is a permanent resident and got arrested for possession of drugs when he was young. Would that be a hindrance?

Thank you so much. ❤️

Did the arrest happen before he was an LPR? Was he only arrested or was he actually convicted of a crime?

When will he be eligible for U.S. citizenship?

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline

This could be a do not apply for Citizenship situation 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

This could be a do not apply for Citizenship situation 

He never applied for citizenship as advised by the lawyer. He got his green card before he got arrested.

1 hour ago, beloved_dingo said:

Did the arrest happen before he was an LPR? Was he only arrested or was he actually convicted of a crime?

When will he be eligible for U.S. citizenship?

He never applied for citizenship as advised by the lawyer. He got his green card before he got arrested. And only arrested.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
15 minutes ago, C & B_27 said:

He never applied for citizenship as advised by the lawyer. He got his green card before he got arrested. And only arrested.

Was there or will there be a criminal trial?

Timeline

What did his Lawyer say about traveling?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Was there or will there be a criminal trial?

Very pertinent question in this case.  Sounds like answer is yes, but not yet.  F2A from Philippines is not quite 7 years now.

I would not marry or start any process until he knows if he will maintain his LPR status.  Of course, if he is Filipino, they can always stay together in the Philippines.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 hours ago, C & B_27 said:

He never applied for citizenship as advised by the lawyer. He got his green card before he got arrested.

With the many years it will take, you may want to plan to live in the Philippines.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
19 hours ago, C & B_27 said:

Thank you so much. ❤️

Was he convicted? Or just arrested? Was it a misdemeanor or a felony? Which state is he in? Too many loose ends to answer this question

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.