Ricky+Vanessa

N-400 October 2023 Filers

316 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Lexie_777 said:

Think how many people have already successfully passed the interview and got citizenship! English is your native language, I suppose, so it's already easier for you than for most people😉 If you have paid your taxes and had no legal issues, you'll be fine!

I'm having my interview tomorrow. Good luck to us both😊

Hope all went well for you!!

12 hours ago, Meg101 said:

Thanks for taking time to offer some words of encouragement. I am very thankful to have being a native English speaker in my corner. I have paid taxes but I do have some items in my criminal background when I was a juvenile, I keep telling myself they haven’t been an issue to date though. 🤞🏽

Good luck to you for tomorrow! If you feel called to, I’d love to hear how it goes. 😊

To be honest, this entire N-400 was the easiest most stress free part of this entire journey for me.  Don't stress about the questions - learn them of course - but don't stress.  I got asked all the questions I actually already knew prior to studying.  I did study pretty hard - my daughter and I used flash cards (if you need them just holla - it feels like a waste of money now they are just sitting around but they really helped) and this lady on Youtube.  I listened to her while I was doing random stuff around the house and a couple of times while going to sleep lol.  https://youtu.be/jpRMh_vKIi4?si=hAvdiqTdqP_9y9dX (my daughter and I randomly say "Hello my friends!" to each other :) )

Anyway, you've got this!

1 hour ago, Ricky+Vanessa said:

Hope all went well for you!!

To be honest, this entire N-400 was the easiest most stress free part of this entire journey for me.  Don't stress about the questions - learn them of course - but don't stress.  I got asked all the questions I actually already knew prior to studying.  I did study pretty hard - my daughter and I used flash cards (if you need them just holla - it feels like a waste of money now they are just sitting around but they really helped) and this lady on Youtube.  I listened to her while I was doing random stuff around the house and a couple of times while going to sleep lol.  https://youtu.be/jpRMh_vKIi4?si=hAvdiqTdqP_9y9dX (my daughter and I randomly say "Hello my friends!" to each other :) )

Anyway, you've got this!

Congrats! Sometimes N-400 isn't smooth, so I'd recommend being ready for N-400 to be the toughest part of immigration journey.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Moe428 said:

I had my interview and oath ceremony yesterday.  It was quite smooth except for waiting for the oath ceremony after the interview, but still better than having a separate path ceremony.

Congratulations fellow Canadian! I'm so happy for you. I'm waiting to hear for me. It now says 3 months! 

Here's part of my then my signature from my original login name "spiritalight" from 2007 plus new stuff:

You will do foolish things; do them with enthusiasm!! | Don't just do something, sit there.

K1: Flew/moved to the U.S. – January 9th, 2008 

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Card arrived – September 6th, 2008  :)
Moved to Honolulu 2010 | Moved to SFBA 2014

Renewed permanent resident card (green card)March 2020
N400: Applied to naturalize N400October 30, 2023

I had my interview today in San Fernando Valley FO. It was such an easy and pleasant experience, I didn't expect that! The entire interview felt rather a conversation. It lasted only 20 minutes. I answered 6 civic questions and that was enough. Then reading and writing test. Then the officer went through my application, asking to confirm my work and travel history (btw, one of my trips was 5,5 months long, no problems with that). Then he asked about my traffic ticket. I said that I had paid the fine and was lucky to avoid a point and he laughed. No proof was asked. The only documents he asked for were ID, Green Card, passports and an interview invitation, nothing else. I brought my application but wasn't allowed to use it during the interview, however my friend in LA FO was allowed to use his. So, just in case, you can bring the application and ask for permission to use it. 
I'm changing my name, so same day Oath ceremony wasn't an option for me. Now I have to wait for an oath invitation in mail. Does anyone know how long does it take when changing the name?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ohmygosh I forgot to ask an important question.
To all:

When you receive notice about your interview appointment, is it via email, text, phone call, or written mail? And how soon after you receive notice is your interview typically?

Congrats to all who have been through it and out the other side already. WOW!
I applied online on October 30th. Their site is now saying 4 months to wait.

Here's part of my then my signature from my original login name "spiritalight" from 2007 plus new stuff:

You will do foolish things; do them with enthusiasm!! | Don't just do something, sit there.

K1: Flew/moved to the U.S. – January 9th, 2008 

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Card arrived – September 6th, 2008  :)
Moved to Honolulu 2010 | Moved to SFBA 2014

Renewed permanent resident card (green card)March 2020
N400: Applied to naturalize N400October 30, 2023

I passed my interview today in Mt. Laurel, NJ. 

Super smooth experience, got there, checked in and was called by the officer about 15 min later. She was friendly and it felt more like a conversation than an actual interview. She started with reviewing my form and corrected some info at my request (I traveled overseas during the Holidays). No vocabulary/ definition questions asked. Then we moved on to the civics questions and the reading/writing portion. I was asked to review the Oath of Allegiance and sign that I was willing to take it. Then I was told I passed the interview and that they were having an oath ceremony in about 1hr so I could be part of it, if I wanted. The ceremony itself was about 25min.

All in all, I was in the FO for about 3hr and left as a citizen! As others said, the naturalization has been the smoothest and fastest process in my journey immigration: from form submission to oath ceremony it was exactly 107 days. 
Good luck to all!

34 minutes ago, stillbaffled said:

Ohmygosh I forgot to ask an important question.
To all:

When you receive notice about your interview appointment, is it via email, text, phone call, or written mail? And how soon after you receive notice is your interview typically?

Congrats to all who have been through it and out the other side already. WOW!
I applied online on October 30th. Their site is now saying 4 months to wait.

In my case I was following via app (Case Tracker), so I first got the notification there. Then I logged on USCIS, documents tab and saw the details for the interview and finally got the letter in the mail only a couple of weeks after that. 
The interview was scheduled on Dec 26,2023 for Feb 02,2024 - so roughly 5 weeks out. 
I would not rely on the estimated time for decision showing on the site. That’s just an estimate of processing time for your FO (mine showed 5 months up until the day of the interview/oath ceremony) 

Edited by L&G3112

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone, I have my interview scheduled for February 12th in Tampa, FL and this afternoon I received a call from USCIS in Tampa advising me they would be conducting a combo Interview (I-751 and N-400) and to ensure to bring my spouse. Tons of notice and the person I spoke to was so professional and pleasant. Looking forward to becoming an American! 🇺🇸 

43 minutes ago, L&G3112 said:

I would not rely on the estimated time for decision showing on the site. That’s just an estimate of processing time for your FO (mine showed 5 months up until the day of the interview/oath ceremony) 

I wish I could pin this message in every N-400 thread. Not sure how people still believe estimates after going through other steps with USCIS, NVC etc earlier in their journey.

Edited by OldUser

21 hours ago, stillbaffled said:

Congratulations fellow Canadian! I'm so happy for you. I'm waiting to hear for me. It now says 3 months! 

Hope it goes well for you.  I was surprised this took all of 3 months.  USCIS isn't known for this kind of speed in the recent history.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 2/2/2024 at 9:30 AM, Ricky+Vanessa said:

o be honest, this entire N-400 was the easiest most stress free part of this entire journey for me.

Same for us.  Wife's N-400 took only 4 months for approval (44 months after filing her I-751).  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Daughter had her interview this morning in Arlington, VA. The officer asked her 6 civics questions, went over yes and no questions on the application. Her application was approved, but no oath ceremony was offered today, sigh. They told her to anticipate for oath notice within 4-6 weeks. I was so looking forward to be done with USCIS for good and yet have to wait again. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 2/2/2024 at 11:06 PM, Damonlee said:

Hey everyone, I have my interview scheduled for February 12th in Tampa, FL and this afternoon I received a call from USCIS in Tampa advising me they would be conducting a combo Interview (I-751 and N-400) and to ensure to bring my spouse. Tons of notice and the person I spoke to was so professional and pleasant. Looking forward to becoming an American! 🇺🇸 

That's awesome to hear they called you and et you. I'm still waiting to get my interview scheduled, so far no updates. Did your 751 status change to "Case was transferred" or no changes on the 751 end? Oh, and good luck and hope you're studying hard for the test lol. Do post the deets about your interview afterwards, will help a fellow Tampa filer. 😀

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.