Ricky+Vanessa

N-400 October 2023 Filers

302 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
10 hours ago, Ricky+Vanessa said:

On the USCIS website.  Once you submit the application you should see an estimated date of completion.

I filed by mail, can I still see something similar?

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/5/2023 at 7:38 PM, DE2020 said:

Hi everyone, October 31st filer , 

Case just changed to “interview scheduled”  today , does this interview includes the test? Or i should expect that on oath day?

On 12/5/2023 at 7:38 PM, DE2020 said:

Hi everyone, October 31st filer , 

Case just changed to “interview scheduled”  today , does this interview includes the test? Or i should expect that on oath day?

oops sorry about duplicating that...

That's incredible DE2020!
Best of success to you et al.
My timeline went back up from 5 to 6 months. Who knows. I applied on Oct 30, and also as a looooong time permanent resident.
I emailed them with a change needed on the forms, and now that may have done something to confuse them. 😂
I asked that they don't think my middle name is N/A! I have no middle name. Sweet lawrd help me get through this. 🤞

16 hours ago, whiterose123 said:

I filed by mail, can I still see something similar?

Yes, of course. 
If you do not already have an account the USCIS, sign up. It'll all be there.

Here's part of my then my signature from my original login name "spiritalight" from 2007 plus new stuff:

You will do foolish things; do them with enthusiasm!! | Don't just do something, sit there.

K1: Flew/moved to the U.S. – January 9th, 2008 

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Card arrived – September 6th, 2008  :)
Moved to Honolulu 2010 | Moved to SFBA 2014

Renewed permanent resident card (green card)March 2020
N400: Applied to naturalize N400October 30, 2023

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Eek! My timeline on USCIS went back up to 6 months. I know I know it's probably just a computer spitting out numbers, but still.
I applied online Oct 30. 
Since then, I emailed them once and got a response.
The email was that my middle name is not N/A, as I have no middle name but had been advised not to leave fields empty.
Their response was to take care of it when I get my interview.
Sigh.
I'm concerned.

Here's part of my then my signature from my original login name "spiritalight" from 2007 plus new stuff:

You will do foolish things; do them with enthusiasm!! | Don't just do something, sit there.

K1: Flew/moved to the U.S. – January 9th, 2008 

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Card arrived – September 6th, 2008  :)
Moved to Honolulu 2010 | Moved to SFBA 2014

Renewed permanent resident card (green card)March 2020
N400: Applied to naturalize N400October 30, 2023

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 12/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Andy2101 said:

Easy questions answered all of them correctly 

1)what did susan anthony do?

2) who did usa fight in world war 2

3)name one native american tribe

4)when do we celebrate independence day

5)one reason colonists came to america

6)we elect president for how many years

Do you think it is necessary to take some pictures as evidence or is that not needed?

19 hours ago, stillbaffled said:

Eek! My timeline on USCIS went back up to 6 months. I know I know it's probably just a computer spitting out numbers, but still.
I applied online Oct 30. 
Since then, I emailed them once and got a response.
The email was that my middle name is not N/A, as I have no middle name but had been advised not to leave fields empty.
Their response was to take care of it when I get my interview.
Sigh.
I'm concerned.

I'm sure it'll be fine.  Mine says 7 months and I have an interview date so who knows.........

Timeline

Had my interview today and everything went well. Interviewer was very nice and friendly. We started with the civics test and then continue with the written test. I believe our interaction certify the speaking test. 

After the test, she then went over the application with me. She took my green card and congratulate me. 

She couldn't conduct the oath ceremony right after the interview because there was a national network problem in printing the certificates. 

So all applicants that were approve citizenship today were asked to wait still 12 noon. And we had a big oath ceremony. It was awesome.

Good to those waiting.

Civics test questions asked were;

1. Who is the president now?

2. Who is the vice president?

3. How many years do we vote for senators?

4. What stop one branch of government from becoming powerful?

5. What is one right for everyone living in America?

6. Who is the father America?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Liberia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bluewaters said:

Had my interview today and everything went well. Interviewer was very nice and friendly. We started with the civics test and then continue with the written test. I believe our interaction certify the speaking test. 

After the test, she then went over the application with me. She took my green card and congratulate me. 

She couldn't conduct the oath ceremony right after the interview because there was a national network problem in printing the certificates. 

So all applicants that were approve citizenship today were asked to wait still 12 noon. And we had a big oath ceremony. It was awesome.

Good to those waiting.

Congratulations!!!!

17 hours ago, Bluewaters said:

Good to those waiting.

Congratulations!!!!

What was the written test?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I passed my interview and test this morning 🙂 It was easy and the whole thing took 20 min. They said it typically takes a month to receive the letter for the oath ceremony, although at my request they put a note in my file asking for the ceremony to be scheduled after 02/15. We are hoping to travel out of the country in January, and since I'll have to surrender my GC at the ceremony, I didn't want to risk it.

The questions they asked:

- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?

- Name a war fought by the United States in the 1900s.

- Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II?

- What did Martin Luther King Jr. do?

- Who signs bills to become laws?

- How many senators are there?

Timeline
13 hours ago, Ricky+Vanessa said:

Congratulations!!!!

What was the written test?

Yes there was a written test. The officer read it out while I write it on a tablet. It was preety simple.

8 hours ago, Rose__ said:

I passed my interview and test this morning 🙂 It was easy and the whole thing took 20 min. They said it typically takes a month to receive the letter for the oath ceremony, although at my request they put a note in my file asking for the ceremony to be scheduled after 02/15. We are hoping to travel out of the country in January, and since I'll have to surrender my GC at the ceremony, I didn't want to risk it.

The questions they asked:

- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?

- Name a war fought by the United States in the 1900s.

- Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II?

- What did Martin Luther King Jr. do?

- Who signs bills to become laws?

- How many senators are there?

Congratulations!

Yesterday I had my interview and exam.

I will refrain from expressing my subjective opinion and will write fact based.

I arrived 25min early and waited for my name to be called. There were numerous people who came and went during my wait. My appointment was late by 1hr35min. I saw people come out of the interview rooms anywhere from 10min to 25min. One interviewer seemed to take longer, which is the one that I got. The person before me had an interview of an hour. 

My name was called. The language/civics was to be as expected. My civic questions were verbal. Study the guide that you can find online and you will be fine. The interview was not easy or cut and dry. It was a stressful, lengthy and tiring process. The only personal opinion I will give is that I felt like a criminal being interrogated. The officer was pointed, diligent and detailed oriented. All very good traits.

I did not know that I was successful in the process until the officer asked if I wanted to attend a swearing in ceremony the same day. I agreed, but due to technical scheduling difficulties all same day ceremonies were cancelled for that day. But it does seems that it is common place to have same day ceremonies at this location. 

This morning I received a swearing in ceremony notice for mid February 2024, after checking my online account.

Edited by Romans13

38 minutes ago, Romans13 said:

my case was unremarkable. No names changes. Nothing our of the ordinary. Horrendous experience that I am glad I do not have to redo.

Congratulations with passing exam and the journey nearing the end!

I never understand why it's generally assumed that N-400 is the easiest part of the immigration journey. US citizenship is the highest immigration benefit one can be granted by US government. Once it's granted it's not easy to denaturalize a citizen. I totally understand why USCIS scrutinizes the applicants hard, as it's the last chance to ensure the right decision is made. I will be walking into my interview with expectation to prove my case, with the lawyer and all paperwork despite an easy straightforward case.

I think it's not uncommon to get a tough interview for N-400 like you did.

P.S. From what I understand, you also applied based on marriage to a US citizen (3 year rule)?

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.