Nurettin

Is lawyer assistance necessary for my case?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello,

I reside in Turkey and I recently got the Turkish citizenship. My place of birth is Syria. My fiance is an American citizen. I was told by some people that there might be complications for my case as I was born in Syria. Keep in mind I have been living in Turkey since 2015 under Temporary Protection. Would those circumstances warrant hiring a lawyer to help file the documents? Or should I go about it like everyone else and do it myself?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

A lawyer can't speed up AP.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

If he is your fiance then you cannot go for CR1 visa. Your process would go under K1-visa. If your have an option to go for spousal visa, go that route since the waiting time is the same, plus you have additional prolonged wait once you do arrive in the US to adjust status and recieve paperwork. That is the first thing you need to clear, and then dig through threads, I am sure there were and are plenty of people with a similar situation. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, milimelo said:

You have listed nothing that would warrant involvement of a lawyer. There may be some additional time in AP, but that's normal. 

Thank you very much for the answer. One more point I forgot to mention and it might be a totally different question is that I changed my name once I received my Turkish citizenship. So now it is different from the name on my birth certificate. Do I need to include a document that shows my name change? And where do I include that? Should it be when I submit my 130? 130a? Or later on?

Edited by Nurettin

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Amunah said:

If he is your fiance then you cannot go for CR1 visa. Your process would go under K1-visa. If your have an option to go for spousal visa, go that route since the waiting time is the same, plus you have additional prolonged wait once you do arrive in the US to adjust status and recieve paperwork. That is the first thing you need to clear, and then dig through threads, I am sure there were and are plenty of people with a similar situation. 

I'm sorry for the confusion. We're getting married next month so I'm asking ahead. From what I have gathered, a spousal visa is the way to go.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nurettin said:

We're getting married next month so I'm asking ahead

Your US citizen fiance needs to join us here.  The process starts with him/her.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Nurettin said:

Thank you very much for the answer. One more point I forgot to mention and it might be a totally different question is that I changed my name once I received my Turkish citizenship. So now it is different from the name on my birth certificate. Do I need to include a document that shows my name change? And where do I include that? Should it be when I submit my 130? 130a? Or later on?

There's a place on the form to list all names ever used. Yes, you'll want to include the name change documents - get it translated if it's not in English. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

11 minutes ago, Nurettin said:

I'm sorry for the confusion. We're getting married next month so I'm asking ahead. From what I have gathered, a spousal visa is the way to go.

Congratulations! Yes it is. When you research Syria spousal visa timelines, there are quite a few members interviewing in either Istanbul or Ankara, I am sure they can chime in. I was trying to include link, alas, no success. 

1 hour ago, Nurettin said:

Hello,

I reside in Turkey and I recently got the Turkish citizenship. My place of birth is Syria. My fiance is an American citizen. I was told by some people that there might be complications for my case as I was born in Syria. Keep in mind I have been living in Turkey since 2015 under Temporary Protection. Would those circumstances warrant hiring a lawyer to help file the documents? Or should I go about it like everyone else and do it myself?

The USC needs to file the petition- not you.   A lawyer cannot help with AP.   Syrians are heavily vetted, and there is no way around that.

If you are not married, you cannot be petitioned for a CR-1.

Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

There's a place on the form to list all names ever used. Yes, you'll want to include the name change documents - get it translated if it's not in English. 

Thanks a lot! I will keep that in mind when we fill the form

Timeline
43 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

The USC needs to file the petition- not you.   A lawyer cannot help with AP.   Syrians are heavily vetted, and there is no way around that.

Yes, she will fill the form, but I am researching 

1 hour ago, Amunah said:

Congratulations! Yes it is. When you research Syria spousal visa timelines, there are quite a few members interviewing in either Istanbul or Ankara, I am sure they can chime in. I was trying to include link, alas, no success. 

Thanks a lot! I will take a look over there

Timeline
50 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Yes. We're getting married next month. My (future) wife and I will be filing the petition together, but I am doing some research ahead of time. Isn't the process entirely online anyway?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, SalishSea said:

False.  A lawyer can speed up AP in certain cases.  The State Dept has a history of sitting on cases from certain countries - Syria being one of them.  If the case is in extended AP - a lawyer can file a writ - that doesn't guarantee an outcome but will force the state department to make a decision.  Check out Hacking Immigration law for real life situations where this applies. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Nurettin said:

Yes. We're getting married next month. My (future) wife and I will be filing the petition together, but I am doing some research ahead of time. Isn't the process entirely online anyway?

No it is not entirely online, and no you will not "be filing together".  You certainly will provide information and documents needed for the filing, but the US Citizen is the person filing the petition in your behalf.

Personally, I recommend filing on paper, due to glitches in the online system, some of which your wife will definitely encounter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.