bobo123

Married while father was a GC holder, continued with interview and was denied. Father now USC (split)

35 posts in this topic

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Hello, 

My husband’s father (green card holder at the time) sponsored him when he was unmarried under F24. 

We got married while the F24 petition was under process without knowing that technically he can’t get married. 

In 2020 his father became a U.S citizen but this was after we got married.
When we filled out his ds260 form we declared he his married and submitted all our documents together (birth certificate/ marriage certificate/ police clearance etc) 

Furthermore this year in Jan he got documentarily qualified and got scheduled for his interview last week. Naturally when this happened we thought everything is going smoothly. 

Things changed after noticing that my name is nowhere for the interview or medical and his category is still unmarried child, which made us realize that something is off. 
We consulted a lawyer then who told us that basically the day we got married the petition died as green card holders can’t sponsor a married child. 
Anyways, we were very disappointed but mentally prepared ourselves that our visa will be refused. 

Fast forward to the interview day, 

My husband went in for his immigrant visa interview, he said the officer was nice and pleasant. She asked if he was married and he said yes, asked if he is planning to immigrate his wife to the USA. Some more questions about his job and who the petitioner is and their job.
The interview was under 7 mins. 
She said she will have to refuse the visa as he is married now ( which ofcourse we knew and had prepared ourselves) 

but his dad can sponsor me as he is a U.S citizen now. 

She gave him 2 forms, the refusal worksheet which had the ds5535 form (we filled it out submitted it) and another form which was titled “completing immigrant visa application”

Our category on the ceac portal has changed to F31(after the interview), our priority date is still our old priority date, which is current. 
Now I don’t understand what exactly is happening because I still cannot add another applicant on his ds260 application.

I also thought the priority date will change as the old petition died. I’m very confused to why they even asked to fill out the DS5535 form. I just don’t know what exactly is going on and what do I need to do next? 

Any insight regarding this situation is appreciated. 
Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split and moved to Bringing Family of USC - as the OP's father in law is now a USC~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has his Father filed a new I 130? That will determine his Priority Date.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, bobo123 said:

Any input or advice is appreciated.

Hello, 

My husband’s father (green card holder at the time) sponsored him when he was unmarried under F24. 

We got married while the F24 petition was under process without knowing that technically he can’t get married. 

In 2020 his father became a U.S citizen but this was after we got married.
When we filled out his ds260 form we declared he his married and submitted all our documents together (birth certificate/ marriage certificate/ police clearance etc) 

Furthermore this year in Jan he got documentarily qualified and got scheduled for his interview last week. Naturally when this happened we thought everything is going smoothly. 

Things changed after noticing that my name is nowhere for the interview or medical and his category is still unmarried child, which made us realize that something is off. 
We consulted a lawyer then who told us that basically the day we got married the petition died as green card holders can’t sponsor a married child. 
Anyways, we were very disappointed but mentally prepared ourselves that our visa will be refused. 

Fast forward to the interview day, 

My husband went in for his immigrant visa interview, he said the officer was nice and pleasant. She asked if he was married and he said yes, asked if he is planning to immigrate his wife to the USA. Some more questions about his job and who the petitioner is and their job.
The interview was under 7 mins. 
She said she will have to refuse the visa as he is married now ( which ofcourse we knew and had prepared ourselves) 

but his dad can sponsor me as he is a U.S citizen now. 

She gave him 2 forms, the refusal worksheet which had the ds5535 form (we filled it out submitted it) and another form which was titled “completing immigrant visa application”

Our category on the ceac portal has changed to F31(after the interview), our priority date is still our old priority date, which is current. 
Now I don’t understand what exactly is happening because I still cannot add another applicant on his ds260 application.

I also thought the priority date will change as the old petition died. I’m very confused to why they even asked to fill out the DS5535 form. I just don’t know what exactly is going on and what do I need to do next? 

Any insight regarding this situation is appreciated. 
Thank you

To start the process, the father needs to submit a new petition with all of the updated info.

Nothing a lawyer can fix. His father needs to start a new I-130 and you're looking at minimum 14-15 years to immigrate. F3 (married child of USC) category. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-august-2023.html

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
44 minutes ago, bobo123 said:

I don’t really know what to do now. Unfortunately we don’t know much about the whole process, should we do a lawyer?

Marriage took place before Father naturalized.  This article seems to address the subject well:

Effect of Marriage on F2B Petition File | Lee & Garasia, LLC (njimmigrationattorney.com)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, milimelo said:

Nothing a lawyer can fix. His father needs to start a new I-130 and you're looking at minimum 14-15 years to immigrate. F3 (married child of USC) category. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2023/visa-bulletin-for-august-2023.html

It is 14-15 years if the cases had been filed 14-15 years ago. The line is a lot longer now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well, the lawyer told you the truth but I guess you're banking on IO at consulate overlooking this. Hence, you still went ahead with the interview though you guys knew you don't qualify. 

Your FIL can't sponsor you. 

He will have to file a new I-130 for your husband and you'll be included..15 years wait. A new start. It doesn't piggy ride on the other application.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, bobo123 said:

I don’t really know what to do now. Unfortunately we don’t know much about the whole process, should we do a lawyer?

They are two separate immigration routes. He no longer qualifies under his fathers green card because he got married. Now getting married opens up another route ‘if’ the father files I-130. It’s a lifetime wait I must tell you. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Timeline

Actually I participated in a previous thread where this was covered, I think there are 2 people using this account?

9 hours ago, Timona said:

Well, the lawyer told you the truth but I guess you're banking on IO at consulate overlooking this. Hence, you still went ahead with the interview though you guys knew you don't qualify. 

Your FIL can't sponsor you. 

He will have to file a new I-130 for your husband and you'll be included..15 years wait. A new start. It doesn't piggy ride on the other application.

we are not banking on the consulate to overlook this, fyi. We went for the interview because they already scheduled the interview. NVC should have not accepted any documents from us in the first place instead of DQing us once we submitted marriage certificate. 

we also emailed them a few times regarding this but they never replied. 

the lawyer told us that to close the case we need to go through the interview. 

Stop making your assumptions please. 

Im just confused to what to do next  because the immigration officer asked to fill out the ds5535 form and said we will ask you the submit your passport after. 

In our head we already know that it’s gonna take another 15 years or so for f3. We plan to immigrate through other category anyways. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, bobo123 said:

We plan to immigrate through other category anyways. 

What does that mean?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Presumably you both had medicals?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.