frndly1

Separated with a green card denial but wants to get remarried.

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have a friend that came here on a visitor visa then got married a year later.  They applied for the green card and was denied because the US Spouse thought the questions being asked were too personal.  They are legally separated and will be able to file for divorce in a few months ( the state requires 1 year separation).  He does have work authorization and is still working.  He has been here for 5 years and married for 4 years.  Question.  How long should he wait to get married and what kind of documents would he have to file? 

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which Country is he from?

How did he obtain work authorisation?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
17 minutes ago, frndly1 said:

They applied for the green card and was denied because the US Spouse thought the questions being asked were too personal.  

Expand.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, frndly1 said:

I have a friend that came here on a visitor visa then got married a year later.  They applied for the green card and was denied because the US Spouse thought the questions being asked were too personal.  They are legally separated and will be able to file for divorce in a few months ( the state requires 1 year separation).  He does have work authorization and is still working.  He has been here for 5 years and married for 4 years.  Question.  How long should he wait to get married and what kind of documents would he have to file? 

Who is he planning to marry?

When did he separate from his wife? 
When did he start seeing the person he wants to marry? 
is this person a US citizen?

What does the denial notice say? 
Is he using his EAD from his denied I485 to work or another EAD
Your friend should probably join VJ to ask these questions OR hire a lawyer if he doesn’t want to post his issues online. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline
4 hours ago, Boiler said:

He is from Nigeria.   His brother sponsored him here.

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

Timeline
6 minutes ago, frndly1 said:

That makes no sense, if his Brother sponsored him he would have an Immigrant Visa and now a Green Card.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, frndly1 said:

You do not have the full story. I would be unwise of us to give suggestions/advice.

When did his brother sponsor him?

Is his brother a US citizen?

Timeline
11 hours ago, Timona said:

Expand.

The wife would not answer some of the questions that were asked because she thought they were to personal.  I'm sure that wasn't the only reason.  She was having an affair as well. I have not seen the paperwork.  

08-29-05 Filed I129F

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

Timeline
1 hour ago, Redro said:

You do not have the full story. I would be unwise of us to give suggestions/advice.

When did his brother sponsor him?

Is his brother a US citizen?

Redrock,  His brother sponsored him 5 years ago.  Yes, his brother has his citizenship.   You are correct I don't have the whole story, but I do know alot.   Thanks.

08-29-05 Filed I129F

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

That makes no sense, if his Brother sponsored him he would have an Immigrant Visa and now a Green Card.

Hmm, this was his second time here on the sponsored visa.  He married the second time coming here.  Wouldn't that trump his brother sponsoring him?

08-29-05 Filed I129F

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

4 minutes ago, frndly1 said:

Redrock,  His brother sponsored him 5 years ago.  Yes, his brother has his citizenship.   You are correct I don't have the whole story, but I do know alot.   Thanks.

He should probably not be working. 

If his brother started the petition 5 years ago he still has many years to wait before he can apply for the GC/adjust status.

You can check the visa bulletin here:  22 April 2007/ 1 March 2008. His category would be F4. 

Additionally, he cannot adjust to a GC if he is not in status/overstay as he is not an immediate relative. 

If he is working on the EAD from the marriage and the GC was denied then that work authorization is no longer valid. 

Your friend is in a bit of a bind. 

He should most definitely get a lawyer to help him with his second adjustment process if he decides to marry the second partner as he will probably be under more scrutiny. They will believe he married both/or one of the women purely for the immigration benefit not for love. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Redro said:

He should probably not be working. 

If his brother started the petition 5 years ago he still has many years to wait before he can apply for the GC/adjust status.

You can check the visa bulletin here:  22 April 2007/ 1 March 2008. His category would be F4. 

Additionally, he cannot adjust to a GC if he is not in status/overstay as he is not an immediate relative. 

If he is working on the EAD from the marriage and the GC was denied then that work authorization is no longer valid. 

Your friend is in a bit of a bind. 

He should most definitely get a lawyer to help him with his second adjustment process if he decides to marry the second partner as he will probably be under more scrutiny. They will believe he married both/or one of the women purely for the immigration benefit not for love. 

Thanks for your advice. 

08-29-05 Filed I129F

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The OP said he arrived on a visitor visa so there could be no "sponsoring" by a brother.  Yes, he could have sponsored on a F4 but that's not how he arrived in the US based on the first post.

Edited by Stein

Timeline

The only thing that makes sense is that he was visiting, not sponsored, and did not go home.

Quite possible with the description that they could have the first marriage down as fraud so that would rule out adjusting through a subsequent marriage.

Does he have someone in mind to marry or is this theoretical

12 minutes ago, Stein said:

The OP said he arrived on a visitor visa so there could be no "sponsoring" by a brother.  Yes, he could have sponsored on a F4 but that's not how he arrived in the US based on the first post.

OP explained his friend received work authorization from his brother who sponsored him. We aren’t talking about first entry but how he is able to work. 

13 hours ago, Boiler said:

9 hours ago, frndly1 said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.