Sudowpa2

Given 221g Yellow Slip for Divorce Decree Missing Raised Stamp, Passport Kept

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We had our Interview at the Bogota Embassy today.

My wife's visa status was given "Refusal" and was given the 221g Yellow paper stating that they need a certified raised seal divorce decree. I wasn't thinking and had thought I had a copy of the raised seal and didn't think to check if it was the real one, because I had so much on my plate.

They kept my wife's passport. Now, I think I am just overthinking this, but I think it is a good thing that they kept it. I am thinking that once they get that final document that they will immediately issue her the CR1 Visa.

My big issue is that I am in Colombia and the divorce decree is in the United States. I don't want to have to fly to Nevada to get it, but if I have to, I just might to get the ball rolling.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Edited by Sudowpa2

Not a similar situation myself however when my wife was interviewing in Bogota we saw maybe 15 to 20 people from the immigrant visa line walk away with the same. If they keep your passport they intend to approve after the paperwork is sent.

Now, your county clerk will Fedex documents to Colombia and if not you might be able to convince them to do so if you get them a pre-paid label. I was able to convince my county clerk to do so after  they sent through UPS which hands off to Deprisa and Deprisa often doesn't update tracking and it looks lost.

In short, you have nothing to worry about and you probably don't need to fly to Nevada.

Also, saw your review. Curious as to why they didn't let you in. I went with my wife but instead of husband we said I was petitioner. That might be the secret sauce. 

Timeline

We kept asking the guards if I can come in and they said only my Colombian wife. 

I thought that would be the answer because they work there and they do it everyday, but stupid me to think that brush up on the rules and regulations. 

By the way, I almost upchucked my lunch walking in front of the embassy on tht main highway. I don't know what is inside that moat but something has died.

My dad is in the USA and I convinced him to recieve tht copies and he will FedEx them to me. They are charging 160usd to send them two day air. 

The bad thing is that I told the embassy I was going to pick up tht passport after the visa was issued. That means when they issue the visa. My wife will have to make a quick trip back to Bogota to the CAS from Medellin to pick up tht passport. I don't know. I just don't trust the post office here. I don't mind paying a round trip ticket for her to physically pick it up.

They need the certified copy with the raised seal. The one I gave them was a copy of the certified copy. The document number is on the paper I gave them and it's public so they can easily go to the court house records online and easily see that it's a legit divorce. I think the us government loves to yank our chain. For shits and giggles. 

1 hour ago, Sudowpa2 said:

The document number is on the paper I gave them and it's public so they can easily go to the court house records online and easily see that it's a legit divorce.

They won't do anything of the kind.  The onus is on the applicant to provide all of the required documentation.

2 hours ago, Sudowpa2 said:

We kept asking the guards if I can come in and they said only my Colombian wife. 

I thought that would be the answer because they work there and they do it everyday, but stupid me to think that brush up on the rules and regulations. 

By the way, I almost upchucked my lunch walking in front of the embassy on tht main highway. I don't know what is inside that moat but something has died.

My dad is in the USA and I convinced him to recieve tht copies and he will FedEx them to me. They are charging 160usd to send them two day air. 

The bad thing is that I told the embassy I was going to pick up tht passport after the visa was issued. That means when they issue the visa. My wife will have to make a quick trip back to Bogota to the CAS from Medellin to pick up tht passport. I don't know. I just don't trust the post office here. I don't mind paying a round trip ticket for her to physically pick it up.

They need the certified copy with the raised seal. The one I gave them was a copy of the certified copy. The document number is on the paper I gave them and it's public so they can easily go to the court house records online and easily see that it's a legit divorce. I think the us government loves to yank our chain. For shits and giggles. 

Weird maybe the rules changed within the last month and a half.

In terms of document delivery the embassy uses DHL and Fedex and gives you a tracking number. They don't deliver to your door but they have pre-determined locations in Medellin. One was at San Fernando Plaza, the other was the Fedex in Envigado, I believe on Cra. 43a. The local post office which is called 4-72 has nothing to do with it or much of anything else in Colombia for that matter. We picked my wife's passport up at San Fernando plaza. 

If you created a biometrics appointment (you wouldn't have had an interview if you didn't) you would have had the option to choose. They also offer "premium delivery" which just is delivery to your door. Personally I think it's better picking up at the location.

Timeline

I am not sure if we can change it because we had already decide to hand pick it up at the CAS near the Aloft Airport Hotel.

Because there was a delay in the issuing of the visa. I am not sure if they opened up the option to allow us to change the delivery type and location of tht passport. They had a little side note that they closed the option to changed at 6am on tht day of the interview. I'll have to check that. 

We live on Cra 43a. In Medellin so it wouldn't be much of a Hassel to pick it up there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

the checklist we just received from the embassy says "Authenticated photocopies of final divorce decrees". I've been divorced twice and the last marriage ended a decade ago. My divorce paperwork from TN is original but you can barely feel the seal from a couple of the pages. NC only gave us a "true copy" stamp document. So this should be interesting. 

Timeline

You could get an an apostle if that is tht best NC can do. Just send the paper to Raleigh and have them attach the apostle for that extra omph.

You could use vitacheck

https://www.vitalchek.com

The issue with them is that you may need to give them a notorized paper and if your out of country that might be difficult.

It was required to get my birth certificate from California. Each state has their own rules.

I would definitely call the courts and see if they can issue you a new paper with a more defined raised seal. 

If you are in Colombia. You can have them send it to a family member and that family member can FedEx it to you.

I just looked it up. It's $100.10 for two day delivery.

That hurts especially when I was just in the us for four months. I could have taken care of that when I was there but my brain was somewhere else 

Edited by Sudowpa2

• 2 weeks later...

~~ Related duplicate thread removed. Please do not start multiple threads asking same or related questions as that’s considered spamming. Keep all discussion in one place (here) ~~

9 hours ago, Sudowpa2 said:

My wife recieved the 221g Yellow page for a missing certified divorce decree.

People/Websites keep saying the wait time can be 60 days, but if that was the only thing stopping her from having the visa issued. It shouldn't take that long.

Has anyone had the same problem and if so, how long did it take for them to resolve the issue by changing the "refusal" to "issue" on the NVC Status page after sending in the requested documents?

There is no standard timeline, Administrative processing a bit of a black hole. Everyone has different experiences. Some waited days, others weeks or months and even years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone just “ shade” the seal on the county clerk copy and email i to you? It works in administration processing abroad when wet seal required. 

Edited by Amunah

Timeline

I was able to get the document. 

The reason mbassy recieved it 6 days ago, but still under refused. 

Just waiting for them to issue thr visa.

I wish there was a database to show 221g tracking. How long someone had to wait just for a simple document missing 

2 minutes ago, Sudowpa2 said:

I wish there was a database to show 221g tracking. How long someone had to wait just for a simple document missing 

Best of luck and hopefully soon, sooner then you think and hope

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 9/12/2023 at 6:03 PM, Sudowpa2 said:

Any updates? How long did it take to get approved after you submitted the document? I am in a similar situation 

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.