stephbd

N-400 August 2023 Filers

278 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

May I ask how long was the actual ceremony from entering the building to going back home? Ours is scheduled for 7:15am and we have a flight at 1pm that day. I'm just wondering if I should move the flight to the later one just in case. 
Thanks and congratulations! 

The oath taking ceremony was actually  10 am but the letter they sent us was 8:30 am. The line outside the courthouse was little longer because of the process of checking in your bags and belts and taking off shoes for security check. It probably took us at least 20-30 mins. just getting in the courthouse building and then we have to get our stuffs back and put the shoes on and go to elevator to the 5th floor and thats where the oat taking ceremony happened. It was a long line but exactly 8:30 am the USCIS officers came and sat on the table on the hallway and start getting out GC and double checking the certificate if the name and other details is right and then after we were seated on our assign chairs. We woke up 6 am and cook and had breakfast and drove to the courthouse by 7:30 am and already people and in line there. I am 15 mins. Away from the courthouse. So at least 4 hours all in all including taking pics with the judge. We got out the courthouse around 11 am.

3 hours ago, Natasha Cota said:

Hello fellow August 2023 N-400 fillers!

I applied under 3 year rule (marriage-based) on 08/15/23, 6 days after my 90 day window has started. My full 3 years will be completed on 11/09/23. I also have I-751 pending since September 2022 with no updates other than biometric reuse and 48-month extension letter.

N-400 filed online and received NOA and Biometric reuse the same day (08/15). I then forgot about it, but since checking this thread and seeing majority get their interviews I got in the habit of checking my USCIS account twice a week. My estimated case decision went from 7 months to 5 within a few weeks, and then dropped to 4 beginning of November. Logged in today and saw that it’s back to 7 months. 

I’m slightly worried. Although, I know these time frames don’t mean much, but has anyone experienced similar? I also am hopeful now that my 90 early fill date is coming to an end, I should expect some movement on my case soon. Would love to hear what people think!

3 hours ago, stephbd said:

Very similar situation here. Filed in early August as soon as my 90-day window opened, based on the 3 year rule (with a pending i751).

On November 1 my estimated case decision time went down to 4 months, yesterday I checked and it went up to 6 months.

I wasn’t exactly relying on this data since it looks like cases are being processed faster, but the number going up makes me wonder if we’re hitting a wall and the backlog has increased even more.

A lot of people in this thread already had their 10 year GC, which makes the process smoother, but I did see a few in similar situation having their interview scheduled before their 3 year anniversary…

My story: also pending i751 (stuck in Potomac :D with nothing other than 48m extension) + applied for N400 => I had sent the paper application one month later than 90-day window opened (i.e. could apply in beginning July 2023, but sent application at the end of August).

At first I got 9,5 month estimate, then it fell down to 8 month, 7 month and now in November it got reduced to 6 months. But no interview notice or any movement since original August biometrics reuse/receipt notice. My 3 year eligibility/anniversary kicked in: October 19th.

I am not sure if this is valid point, but I have noticed that under that '6 months'  it explicitly says that provided estimate is for those who applied based on 5yr rule...  So I am not sure if these estimates are valid for us with pending i751 or not... Also I would expect the 'backlog' to be per field office, not nationally...  I am in Florida, and based on my zip code - Orlando field office should be handling the applications, and the office's estimate for n400 is still 9.5 months... 

image.thumb.jpeg.88b2d9dfb65b21eb090ac0e1fa27756c.jpeg

Edited by Maria P.

NATURALIZATION (N400)

08/23/2023 - FedEX delivered application to Elgin Lockbox

08/25/2023 - Text message from USCIS with receipt number (IOE / digital processing)

09/01/2023 - NOA letters in the mailbox (Receipt Notice, Account Acceptance Notice, Biometric Reuse)  

11/14/2023 - Online USCIS account showed 'Interview Scheduled' update and pdf letter available for download - interview scheduled to 12/19/2023

11/20/2023 - USPS delivered interview notice

12/19/2023 - scheduled N400 interview in Orlando FO

est. time until case decision: 9 months (as of September, 2023)

est. time until case decision: 8 months (as of October, 2023)

est. time until case decision: 6 months (as of November, 2023)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (I-751)

08/05/2022 - Mailed ROC Packet via USPS to Carol Stream, IL (Elgin Lockbox)

08/08/2022 - USPS delivered ROC Packet to P.O. BOX 

08/11/2022 - Text message from USCIS with receipt number (YSC/ Potomac Service Center)

08/18/2022 - NOA in the mailbox ('24 months extension letter')

03/15/2023 - NOA in the mailbox ('48 months extension letter')

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorald02 said:

The oath taking ceremony was actually  10 am but the letter they sent us was 8:30 am. The line outside the courthouse was little longer because of the process of checking in your bags and belts and taking off shoes for security check. It probably took us at least 20-30 mins. just getting in the courthouse building and then we have to get our stuffs back and put the shoes on and go to elevator to the 5th floor and thats where the oat taking ceremony happened. It was a long line but exactly 8:30 am the USCIS officers came and sat on the table on the hallway and start getting out GC and double checking the certificate if the name and other details is right and then after we were seated on our assign chairs. We woke up 6 am and cook and had breakfast and drove to the courthouse by 7:30 am and already people and in line there. I am 15 mins. Away from the courthouse. So at least 4 hours all in all including taking pics with the judge. We got out the courthouse around 11 am.

Thank you for the detailed info. We are not in the courthouse but rather at the DHS office (the same place where my wife had her interview). If the letter says 7:15am I hope that's when the ceremony starts :) We are about 20-30 minutes away from that place. 

Anyway, we are excited and very happy for the journey to finally finish :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
18 hours ago, Maria P. said:

I am not sure if this is valid point, but I have noticed that under that '6 months'  it explicitly says that provided estimate is for those who applied based on 5yr rule...  So I am not sure if these estimates are valid for us with pending i751 or not... Also I would expect the 'backlog' to be per field office, not nationally...  I am in Florida, and based on my zip code - Orlando field office should be handling the applications, and the office's estimate for n400 is still 9.5 months... 

image.thumb.jpeg.88b2d9dfb65b21eb090ac0e1fa27756c.jpeg

We had the same thing I751 and N400. Applied 2 months and 1 week early (instead of the 90 allowable days). 

Our status was showing 8 months, then all of a sudden we got the notification for interview. Did the interview and the status changed that it needs to be approved (both cases). The status changed to 7 months wait... 
Then exactly 1 month after the interview we've got the oath ceremony schedule. All in all it took 4 months from the time we filed the form to the oath ceremony. When I did my citizenship back 20 years ago it took 13 or 14 months from the time I filed the form to my oath. This is good news that things are speeding up. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have a combo interview (3 year eligibility) N-400 and I-751 tomorrow at 9:15 AM. I am well prepared for the N-400 interview but I am a little nervous about the I-751 interview.

Wish me luck.

Also I have requested an Oath Ceremony on the same day as my interview. I will post an update how it goes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Meekmil said:

I have a combo interview (3 year eligibility) N-400 and I-751 tomorrow at 9:15 AM. I am well prepared for the N-400 interview but I am a little nervous about the I-751 interview.

Wish me luck.

Also I have requested an Oath Ceremony on the same day as my interview. I will post an update how it goes. 

Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Meekmil said:

Wish me luck.

Good luck and hope it's gonna go smooth and blissful)))) Looking forward to the updates and questions from the officer ! 

I am a bit nervous about - what to expect from i751 interview, plus N400 -> as my ROC got approved without interview and I have never been to USCIS field office.. So any info from those who have pending two concurrent applications will be highly appreciated)

Best Regards,

Maria

NATURALIZATION (N400)

08/23/2023 - FedEX delivered application to Elgin Lockbox

08/25/2023 - Text message from USCIS with receipt number (IOE / digital processing)

09/01/2023 - NOA letters in the mailbox (Receipt Notice, Account Acceptance Notice, Biometric Reuse)  

11/14/2023 - Online USCIS account showed 'Interview Scheduled' update and pdf letter available for download - interview scheduled to 12/19/2023

11/20/2023 - USPS delivered interview notice

12/19/2023 - scheduled N400 interview in Orlando FO

est. time until case decision: 9 months (as of September, 2023)

est. time until case decision: 8 months (as of October, 2023)

est. time until case decision: 6 months (as of November, 2023)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (I-751)

08/05/2022 - Mailed ROC Packet via USPS to Carol Stream, IL (Elgin Lockbox)

08/08/2022 - USPS delivered ROC Packet to P.O. BOX 

08/11/2022 - Text message from USCIS with receipt number (YSC/ Potomac Service Center)

08/18/2022 - NOA in the mailbox ('24 months extension letter')

03/15/2023 - NOA in the mailbox ('48 months extension letter')

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, visatransfer said:

Update …logged into my uscis account and see that my Interview got scheduled for Nov 7 in Houston.  This falls 8 days after my 5 year milestone. 

No email or text alert yet. 

update: 

My Interview completed without any issues. Oath ceremony scheduled for Nov 28th. 

Good luck to everyone!! 

@Meekmil how did you know it would be a combo interview - did your i-751 case status update to show interview scheduled? Or did you get any other notice that said it would be a combo interview? I have N-400 interview scheduled, but no updates with my I-751, so I assume it will be combo but unsure how i can confirm that.

Also, how did you request same-day oath, did you just attach such request together with the N-400 application?

Timeline
14 hours ago, mark08 said:

@Meekmil how did you know it would be a combo interview - did your i-751 case status update to show interview scheduled? Or did you get any other notice that said it would be a combo interview? I have N-400 interview scheduled, but no updates with my I-751, so I assume it will be combo but unsure how i can confirm that.

Also, how did you request same-day oath, did you just attach such request together with the N-400 application?

My i-751 online status never changed from the time I submitted.

I got i-751 interview notice in the mail after my N-400 was scheduled for interview. Then a couple days later I received N-400 interview notice in the mail as well. Both interview notices had the same location, date and time, so there, combo interview.

I wouldn't trust the online status time. They don't update them very often. When I received my N400 interview notice, my online status update went up from 7 months to 9 months. I also checked my i-751 online status with no update and there I had an interview notice for i-751 in the mail 🤣

Edited by Meekmil

Timeline

Update: 11/09/2023

Here is my experience about my combo interview of (3 year eligibility) I-751 and N-400 today at Portland Field office in Maine.

We arrived 40 mins early, the security guard at the entrance was very nice and welcoming. There were at least 12 more applicants waiting for their Interviews. Our interview started 15 mins late. The officer called my spouse in for an interview first, about I-751.

How did you meet each other ? 

How long have you known each other ? 

Have you met your spouse's parents?

What does your spouse do for work ?

What are your spouse's interests?

What did the two of you do for dinner last night ? 

What do you do for work ? (Business owner)

Who do you own your business with ? (With ex)

Do you all get along ?

Then, I was called inside and the officer asked me the following questions:

How long have you known each other  ?

How did you meet each other ?

What visa did you come to US ?

When did you come to US ? 

Have you traveled outside the country?

What do you do for work ? 

Does your spouse own the business ?

Do you all get along ?

How many rooms do you have at the business ? 

This all went so smoothly that I didn't even feel like I was being interviewed. The whole interview went like a good conversation...

At this point of the conversation the I-751 part was done and the officer said she will start the N-400 part. My spouse was told to wait outside. 

N-400 questions for me:

Q1: What are two ways Americans can participate in their democracy?

Q2: Where is the Statue of Liberty?

Q3: What did the declaration of Independence do ?

Q4: What is one right only for US citizens?

Q5: How many senators are there ? 

Speaking:

What do we pay to the government?

Writing:

We pay taxes to the government 

Afterwards she asked those general questions from the N400 application like: Have you ever been convicted of a crime and blah blah... 

After that I was told to wait outside as the officer enters data into the system and also to check if someone is available to do my Oath Ceremony. 

After 5-10 mins I was called into another big room, like a conference room where they usually do Oath Ceremony in Large groups, my spouse came along with me. We were the only two in that room. I was giving my Naturalization Certificate. After a couple mins the oath ceremony was done and we left the building.

It was very nice of them to arrange the Oath ceremony for me on request since I have a trip scheduled soon so I need to apply for my US passport ASAP to get it on time.

I myself was nervous at first but trust me there is no need to be nervous, you have done all the difficult parts of the immigration journey. They can't just deny you. There has to be an obvious red flag to deny you. This is the last step, it will go more smoothly than you think. Enjoy the process, You are becoming a US citizen... 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:01 AM, stephbd said:

Very similar situation here. Filed in early August as soon as my 90-day window opened, based on the 3 year rule (with a pending i751).

On November 1 my estimated case decision time went down to 4 months, yesterday I checked and it went up to 6 months.

I wasn’t exactly relying on this data since it looks like cases are being processed faster, but the number going up makes me wonder if we’re hitting a wall and the backlog has increased even more.

A lot of people in this thread already had their 10 year GC, which makes the process smoother, but I did see a few in similar situation having their interview scheduled before their 3 year anniversary…

Thank you for your response! Fingers crossed all of us in this thread will get their interview notices too.

Has anyone submitted their I-751 notices in addition to n-400 application? I have not. But I’m reading in this forum now that it’s a good practice to include that I-751 is pending and also ask for a possibility of a combo interview. I know that USCIS should put two and two together but it seems like in some cases you show up for n-400 and they don’t approve your ROC and you have to wait more.

Does it make sense for me to submit I-751 online into additional documents together with sort of a cover letter that mentions combo interview? Will it slow down the review since I’m submitting something additional 3 months after application? Or should I leave things be as they are?

12 minutes ago, Natasha Cota said:

Has anyone submitted their I-751 notices in addition to n-400 application? I have not. But I’m reading in this forum now that it’s a good practice to include that I-751 is pending and also ask for a possibility of a combo interview. I know that USCIS should put two and two together but it seems like in some cases you show up for n-400 and they don’t approve your ROC and you have to wait more.

Does it make sense for me to submit I-751 online into additional documents together with sort of a cover letter that mentions combo interview? Will it slow down the review since I’m submitting something additional 3 months after application? Or should I leave things be as they are?

You can submit it, and it shouldn't slow anything down in my opinion. Nobody looked at your file just yet probably.

Hi, my spouse's interview is in December and today he received notice that it will be a combo interview of N-400 and I-751. The notice says I must accompany him but do they actually call the spouse inside during interview for I-751? I will be out of country at that time so was wondering what we should do. Any help/suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.