chbolero

Travel to/from the USA/Global Entry

19 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I recently became a citizen and am traveling to the UK this week. I wasn't sure which passport I should use to leave the USA - my US or British passport? Entering the UK I was planning to use my UK passport. On returning to the USA, I normally use Global Entry - currently though I can't update my passport online - will that cause a problem when I come back?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 minutes ago, chbolero said:

Good afternoon,

I recently became a citizen and am traveling to the UK this week. I wasn't sure which passport I should use to leave the USA - my US or British passport?

when you check in for your flight, present your U.S. passport. 

Entering the UK I was planning to use my UK passport.

correct

On returning to the USA, I normally use Global Entry - currently though I can't update my passport online - will that cause a problem when I come back?

To use global entry to need to visit a global entry office and request to add your U.S. passport to your global entry record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

U.S. nationals, including U.S. dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. U.S. dual nationals may also be required by the country of their foreign nationality to use that country's passport to enter and leave that country.

From Department Of State

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html#:~:text=U.S. nationals%2C including U.S. dual,enter and leave that country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you check in online with your airline, use your US passport.  You'll get eGates in GB - use your British passport.  

When you return to the US, ask the CBP officer if you can head to the GE office to update your information.  Most major airports are doing "instant" interviews, so you can head to the line and update once the CBP officer has admitted you back to the US. The GE officer will update your profile on the spot so you can use next time.  

I'd also download the MPC app.  If the regular immi lines are long, the MPC line is typically shorter and then you can go jump in queue for the GE interview line.  I just did this exact thing in May.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, mam521 said:

When you check in online with your airline, use your US passport.  You'll get eGates in GB - use your British passport.  

When you return to the US, ask the CBP officer if you can head to the GE office to update your information.  Most major airports are doing "instant" interviews, so you can head to the line and update once the CBP officer has admitted you back to the US. The GE officer will update your profile on the spot so you can use next time.  

I'd also download the MPC app.  If the regular immi lines are long, the MPC line is typically shorter and then you can go jump in queue for the GE interview line.  I just did this exact thing in May.  

Also: updating the info on a GE card (and requesting a replacement card in case, say, you change your name) can be done without an appointment, so you can also just do it ahead of the trip.

That reminds me, I should renew my card now.

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

global entry to need to visit a global entry office and request to add your U.S. passport to your global entry record.

So this happened to my spouse.  Swore oath and received passport same day.  Left the U.S. when we returned to the US, used global entry with no issue at US preclearance Calgary.

We are all up for renewal and now have added 2 passports in the renewal app.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, manyfudge said:

So this happened to my spouse.  Swore oath and received passport same day.  Left the U.S. when we returned to the US, used global entry with no issue at US preclearance Calgary.

Did you update your information before entering on the TTP website, update it on arrival, or enter the country with the GE data still showing you're permanent residents?

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
27 minutes ago, M+K IL said:

Also: updating the info on a GE card (and requesting a replacement card in case, say, you change your name) can be done without an appointment, so you can also just do it ahead of the trip.

That reminds me, I should renew my card now.

Changing /adding citizenship info cannot be done online but can be done as a walk in  .. Doesn't meed an elusive appt 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, manyfudge said:

In theory that is impossible because pre-facial recognition kiosks for LPRs are tied to the green card not a foreign passport. But I have some hypotheses ….

* Did she  use   U.S. passport at the GE kiosks at YYC?

*  Did she use her Nexus card at the Nexus kiosks at YYC? Or,

* Were the GE kiosks at YYC set up for facial recognition?

IME, (though it has been over a year for me at YYC) every GE user still has to be processed by a CBPO after being processed by a kiosk (kinda useless most days).

1 hour ago, manyfudge said:

Cool

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Did she  use   U.S. passport at the GE kiosks at YYC?

*  Did she use her Nexus card at the Nexus kiosks at YYC? Or,

* Were the GE kiosks at YYC set up for facial recognitio

My memory is hazy as this was summer 2019 (1 year after a hellish wait at EWR which prompted me to apply for the entire family)

1) either that or Canadian passport

(don’t remember)

2) we never got nexus (too lazy to set up interview)

3) 100% pre facial recognition 

Back to OP - I use my US passport to book airline tickets.  Use my US passport at security checkpoints at US passport. I use my Canadian passport to enter Canada (no nexus) and use my U.S. passport to enter US (and at security checkpoints in Canadian airports when leaving).

I also use my Canadian passport when there is a small advantage - some visas cost less for Canadians.

Edited by manyfudge

We are also 2 for 2 with same day international travel as oaths.

My spouse and I had our oaths scheduled for the same day as long arranged vacation plans 8 years apart.

We took our oaths and went up to the passport agency and got same day passports with print out of travel plans.  

Having of course (pre Covid) gone around to the passport agency and asked what exactly to say and do to skip the line.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, M+K IL said:

Depends on airport and where the GE office is. If they are super busy with interviews, despite taking walk ins for updates, you might be in for a long wait. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

When I updated my Nexus at an enrollment center after naturalizing they wanted to see the naturalization certificate as well as my new US passport, but YMMV. As soon as you've done the in-person update and your new documents show up on the TTP site you can request a new Global Entry card that shows your US citizenship, just select "Citizenship change" as the reason.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.