Marrienne

N-400 interview in TWO days. Last wise words?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The whole interview, even the parts that don't come across as an interview, is used to determine your English skills etc. So don't be scared to small-talk! They love to do that and it shows how good your English is. If they feel that you can barely understand them, they may ask for definitions off of the N-400 form (usually the yes/no questions) to make sure you understand the questions you answered on the form. Small-talk also helps taking some of the nervousness out of it, especially if you get a friendly IO. 

But this won't be an issue in your case if your spoken English is even 1/8 as good as your written English! 

I wouldn't worry for a second, it's so easy and a very smooth process. Some IOs are grumpy but don't let that affect you. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

I'd say hope you know your answers to the questions and be confident. My wife was so confident at hers that they even mentioned it and said you obviously know the answers. Also, it appears to be based on marriage. Bring everything just in case and make sure your husband is with you. I'm not sure how it is now, but during covid I wasn't allowed in, but I was in the car with my mom and my son just in case I was asked to go in. They did ask her if I was waiting somewhere too. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Marrienne said:

I PASSED!! Oath within the next 60 days (most likely in September) :)

Thank you everyone!!

Congratulations!!!!   You did it!!!!!  It only gets better from here!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Marrienne said:

Thank you everyone!!

Congratulations! Still awaiting my oath ceremony too, how do you know it would be within 60 days?

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Marrienne said:

Thank you everyone!!

Congrats!!! Life gets easier from now on!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

He said they are booked for August since it is 7/27 already, so he said he is adding my name to the September list. He gave me paperwork with the address of the place it will be held in and everything and told me to look for a letter in the mail within the next 30 days with the actual date and time. My online status has changed to "Oath ceremony will be scheduled".

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Cesca said:

Mine was actually easy. Just learn the booklet, be honest, and stay calm. If you have had a good behavior while in the US everything should be well. Good luck.

Yup! Was easy. Waiting on oath ceremony now :)

Click "spoiler" below for a detailed account of our journey to a CR1 visa via DCF in Athens, Greece.

2011 - Met hubby online and became friends
Early 2013 - Confessed our love for each other * Late 2013 - I got pregnant with our daughter
2014 - Our baby was born in Athens, Greece and completed our family. We now have two boys and a girl!! 2013 - 2015 - Looking for jobs in Greece, none were available (due to socioeconomic crisis) 2015 - Decided only way to feed our family was to immigrate and started the process December 2015 - Got married (Greece has a LOT of red tape for foreigners marrying Greeks)
January 2016 - Finished gathering all documents and getting them translated
* * DCF in Athens, Greece * *

28th January 2016 - Finally filed I-130s
29th June - ISSUED!!!!!!1st July - Visa packages and passports delivered to DHL.4th July - Visas in hand! CU in two weeks USA!!
19th July- POE Detroit. All went well!! (excluding our screaming, jet lagged toddler!!)

After Arrival in the US

September 2016 - Hubby is diagnosed with congestive heart failure
October - February 2016 - Battle with drug use, overdosing, bringing home a tiny paycheck

March - July 2017 - I am working 80 hr weeks to make ends meet. Discovered hubby's affair. Still overdoses and is hospitalized. Has quit working all together.
July - October 2017 - Marriage counseling. Revealed hubby has "several" mental conditions. Is started on several mental meds.

October 2017 - Got accepted for a college course. Got better job to help raise my kids.

October 2017 - March 2018 - Situation at home is toxic. He files for divorce.

July 2018 - Divorce is final. I have full custody of our daughter.

ROC (GC expires July 19th 2018)

July 16th - Package for ROC is delivered to the CA service center (divorce waiver).

August 30th - NOA1 received with 18 month extension (fee waiver approved).

March 28th 2019 - Biometrics

August 8th 2019 - Case Approved No RFE No Interview - 10 year GC in production

N400 (Online - Detroit, MI office)
June 6th 2023 - Applied for naturalization under 5 year rule.
June 7th 2023 - Application received/Biometric will be reused.
June 16th - Interview scheduled.
July 27th - Upcoming interview.

**Our DCF journey to an IV took 5 months and 1 day from turning in the I-130 to getting "Issued"**

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My words of advise is to simply relax. I know that this might be asking a lot but if you can it will help immensly. Most IO's are human and understand the pressure that you have been under just to make it this far. Being from Australia my IO said that he believed that I would have only 'minor problems' with the language and that therefore the language test would not take place. He then went on to ask the ten questions - I remember the last one distinctly. He asked me to describe the geological structure of the pre-Cambrian period Californian coastline. When I replied, " I don't believe that question is on the list' his reply was, "No its not and you have passed......congratulations' 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 7/25/2023 at 10:26 AM, Marrienne said:

Thank you!!! Nope, not even a parking ticket :)

Good luck and congratulations 👍🥳🥳🥳

Today I passed the US citizenship exam and took the same-day Oath.
5 yrs. rule.
Field Office: Cranbury New Jersey
Timeline:
N400 submitted: February 5, 2023
Bio Appointment: March 1, 2023
Interview Day: August 11, 2023
Same Day Oath ceremony.
Civic test
1.Name one US territory
2.Longest river
2.father of our country
3.Name 2 national holidays
4.Why flag has 50 stars?
5.Name US senator
6.What does the Constitution do
Writing Question.
White House is in Washington D.C.
The officer asked me my name, other name used, date of birth, height, address, phone no, how many times married, how many kids, wife name, kids' name, current employer, job title, and how many trips outside USA.
Officer quickly asked 30 Yes/No questions. He did not ask for any definitions or meanings.
I got lucky to have a nice and polite officer. The whole interview took only 25 minutes.
God bless everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.