shamansa

Can my wife and child visit me with Dutch passport while waiting for CRBA?

13 posts in this topic

My wife and child are Dutch citizens. I am a US citizen.

our child was recently born in the Netherlands and we just received an appointment date for CRBA 3 months from now 

my EU 90 day visa is about to expire so I have to head back to the US.

my question is can my wife and child come visit me for 2 months with their Dutch passport after which all 3 of us can head back? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Fly to Canada, enter by land, note the pending CRBA appointment to CRBA and let CBP sort out whether to admit your child as a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen.

There are no shortage of denied CRBA cases.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
3 minutes ago, shamansa said:

are you saying it is likely I’ll be rejected as well as my CRBA

I have no idea since I do not know what your evidence is. But the possibility exists. These can be difficult processes.

and I should not do this

Terms and conditions of this website prevent me from telling a U.S. citizen to fly to the U.S. on a non-U.S. passport. 

or that it’s 50/50

I did not suggest or imply that.

and the border control there may or may not let my child in ? 

I would say that a child with a pending CRBA appointment has a better than 99 percent chance of being admitted as a U.S. citizen.  Inform CBP there is a pending CRBA and let CBP decide to process the child as a U.S. citizen (if so, admission is 100 percent guaranteed) or as a non citizen (better than 99 percent chance of admission).

Bad things happen to U.S. citizens who represent themselves as non citizens to CBP.

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I have no idea since I do not know what your evidence is. But the possibility exists. These can be difficult processes.

Terms and conditions of this website prevent me from telling a U.S. citizen to fly to the U.S. on a non-U.S. passport. 

I did not suggest or imply that.

I would say that a child with a pending CRBA appointment has a better than 99 percent chance of being admitted as a U.S. citizen.  Inform CBP there is a pending CRBA and let CBP decide to process the child as a U.S. citizen (if so, admission is 100 percent guaranteed) or as a non citizen (better than 99 percent chance of admission).

Bad things happen to U.S. citizens who represent themselves as non citizens to CBP.

Thanks for the clarification.

May I ask how does entering from Canada make it any different? Could I not mention the same to Airport border control? (I.e child has a pending CRBA and us passport) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, shamansa said:

May I ask how does entering from Canada make it any different? Could I not mention the same to Airport border control? (I.e child has a pending CRBA and us passport) 

Basically getting there, how do you get to the US Airport? Canada does not care which passport you use to travel.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, shamansa said:

May I ask how does entering from Canada make it any different?

U.S. law requires a U.S. citizen to fly to the U.S. on a U.S. passport. It does not require a U.S. citizen to walk, drive, swim, or float into the U.S. on a U.S. passport. Indeed, CBP fully embraces U.S. citizens traveling without U.S. passports on cruises, provided the same port is used  departure and return. 

6 minutes ago, shamansa said:

Could I not mention the same to Airport border control? (I.e child has a pending CRBA and us passport) 

https://www.visajourney.com/terms-of-service/

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not: 

[..]

Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method“

Timeline
2 minutes ago, shamansa said:

Maybe I’m being silly but wouldn’t the same reps be at the airport at Amsterdam? Where they will deny or allow me based on the same info?

I have read of situations where CBP has representatives at major airports in Europe who sometimes instruct an airline to not board a passenger. 

7 hours ago, shamansa said:

My wife and child are Dutch citizens. I am a US citizen.

our child was recently born in the Netherlands and we just received an appointment date for CRBA 3 months from now 

my EU 90 day visa is about to expire so I have to head back to the US.

my question is can my wife and child come visit me for 2 months with their Dutch passport after which all 3 of us can head back? 

This might be weird but, I took the liberty of calling cbp and calling you "my friend" to get you the info. 

According to the lady from cbp at the Detroit land port: you all can come and bring your documents with you for entry even though that you are still waiting for your appointment at the embassy. I assume the documents would be the same as the CARBA evidence. 

I hope that helps 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.