*FishF00D*

Naturalization Interview 1 week before International travel -- Is this Enough Time?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just found out that my Naturalization interview is booked on July 12th at a new field office opening in Cranbury NJ.

I also have a trip to Canada booked for 10 days on July 21st to see my parents (that I haven't seen in 1 year) and my sister who's flying over from Australia (that I haven't seen in 5 years).

It seems like this might be too tight of a window to get a passport in time before travel (assuming I'm approved and take the oath on the same day) so I'm trying to figure out which action I can take to solve this issue that creates the least anxiety, with the smallest financial burden. What would you do in this circumstance?

Current Considerations:

• Rebook my travel dates further into the future; however, the airline told me that between change fee's and the difference in airfare it will cost me almost $1000 to move the trip. I'm a full time student, so this isn't ideal. (Refund/cancellation not available)
• I could try requesting to reschedule my interview appointment for a later date. (Any date in the next 6 months would be better to me than missing this trip to see my family!) How likely is USCIS to honor a rescheduling request on the basis of imminent travel?

I could attend the interview as scheduled, hope for same-day oath, and try to get an Urgent Travel Passport appointment before I fly - which seems like it might be the riskiest/most stressful option.

Lastly, it seems like many USCIS locations will allow you to take your oath on a later date if requested but I can't find much info about that as an option in New Jersey -- let alone at a field office that hasn't even opened yet. If anyone in New Jersey has ever requested the oath to be delayed/rescheduled with success I would be so interested in hearing about your experience!

So given these circumstances - what would you do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, *FishF00D* said:

Lastly, it seems like many USCIS locations will allow you to take your oath on a later date if requested

They cannot force you to take oath on same day. Worse case they ding you for one missed oath, and automatically schedule you for a second oath. You get 2 strikes.

The other option is to travel over land to Canada. On the return, use your naturalization certificate. If you are worried about the security of your naturalization certificate, leave it locked in your safe at home, or better yet apply for a U.S. passport with it, and make a photocopy before applying. Then just  show CBP your photo copy. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

go to the interview on the 12th

use your green card and/or Canada passport to travel to Canada

I doubt you will have same day service of the oath as the office is so new they still have a site up to offer  jobs 

these people would be newbe's

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

go to the interview on the 12th

use your green card and/or Canada passport to travel to Canada

I doubt you will have same day service of the oath as the office is so new they still have a site up to offer  jobs 

these people would be newbe's

Oh wow! Didn't think of looking to see whether they were still hiring. Is that potentially it's own red flag -- as in, do I want the outcome of my Naturalization in the hands of new hires? 😅

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Mike E said:

They cannot force you to take oath on same day. Worse case they ding you for one missed oath, and automatically schedule you for a second oath. You get 2 strikes.

The other option is to travel over land to Canada. On the return, use your naturalization certificate. If you are worried about the security of your naturalization certificate, leave it locked in your safe at home, or better yet apply for a U.S. passport with it, and make a photocopy before applying. Then just  show CBP your photo copy. 

If they can't make me do it the same day then that's a good sign! My flights to Canada are booked and very expensive to change (and it would take 37hrs to drive to where I'm going) so keeping my flights would be ideal.

It's so hard to find more confirmation online as to whether rejecting a same-day oath is acceptable -- and if the officer would also cooperate in not booking the next oath for while I'm out of town. Most people would be thrilled to get the same-day oath, I'm sure!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, *FishF00D* said:

Oh wow! Didn't think of looking to see whether they were still hiring. Is that potentially it's own red flag -- as in, do I want the outcome of my Naturalization in the hands of new hires? 😅

not a red flag for the interview but doubt they are ready to do "same oath"

this is only my opinion and only that

25 Immigration jobs available in Cranbury, NJ on Indeed.com

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

not a red flag for the interview but doubt they are ready to do "same oath"

this is only my opinion and only that

25 Immigration jobs available in Cranbury, NJ on Indeed.com

That is a good point, and I appreciate your perspective!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, *FishF00D* said:

My flights to Canada are booked and very expensive to change (and it would take 37hrs to drive to where I'm going) so keeping my flights would be ideal.

Use your existing flights to get to presumably Edmonton. Cancel your existing return flight, and book: YEG to YHM, take surface transport to Buffalo. Fly to EWR from Buffalo, if you booked a UA ticket, the return credit can at least be used for Buffalo to EWR.

You might find YEG to YVR is better, then take surfsce transportation to Bellingham, and fly from there via Southwest Airlines  to Islip or LaGuardia.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Use your existing flights to get to presumably Edmonton. Cancel your existing return flight, and book: YEG to YHM, take surface transport to Buffalo. Fly to EWR from Buffalo, if you booked a UA ticket, the return credit can at least be used for Buffalo to EWR.

You might find YEG to YVR is better, then take surfsce transportation to Bellingham, and fly from there via Southwest Airlines  to Islip or LaGuardia.

Ahhh interesting angle, I'll consider that!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just chiming in to add that my local office was once new (opened 5 years ago), and they did not offer same day oath ceremonies for the first 2-3 years. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Just chiming in to add that my local office was once new (opened 5 years ago), and they did not offer same day oath ceremonies for the first 2-3 years. 

Daang, okay! That's super helpful! Given a previous responders comment about USCIS still having job postings up for this location it's beginning to seem more likely that oaths might be scheduled separately. (Same day oaths seem to happen at established, high-volume offices)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, *FishF00D* said:

Same day oaths seem to happen at established, high-volume offices

San Jose wants a word with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Agreed with others here - you can just decline same day oath ceremony if offered, with the reason that you have immediate travel planned (second hand experience from a colleague in California)

Not sure if it will count as one of the two rescheduling you can do, hopefully not.

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

You should naturalize if the same-day Oath is scheduled. Your third proposed option is optimal given the situation, IMO. 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.