Beejaybm

A new baby after F2A application [edited title]

15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello house. My spouse submitted an application in December 2022 to file for me and we had our baby in 2023. We mentioned in the application that we we’re expecting a baby and attached scans as proof. Our baby does not require a visa to visit the US. 

What do you advise? Should we

1. Send an additional documentation to add our baby to the application?( I’m not sure how this is done. If yes, how do we go about this?)

2. Should we wait till my application is all complete so we can do an adjustment of status for the baby when we relocate to the US since he can enter the US with his passport as a visitor without requiring a visa?

Thanks 

Edited by TBoneTX

16 minutes ago, Mzdee said:

Hello house. My spouse submitted an application in December 2022 to file for me and we had our baby in 2023. We mentioned in the application that we we’re expecting a baby and attached scans as proof. Our baby does not require a visa to visit the US. 

What do you advise? Should we

1. Send an additional documentation to add our baby to the application?( I’m not sure how this is done. If yes, how do we go about this?)

2. Should we wait till my application is all complete so we can do an adjustment of status for the baby when we relocate to the US since he can enter the US with his passport as a visitor without requiring a visa?

Thanks 

Where is the baby right now? In the US or in Canada? Where was the baby born? 

~~ Topic moved from CR1/IR1 spousal visa forum to Bringing Family members of permanent residents to America - this is not a CR1/IR1 case as the petitioner is not a USC, it is an LPR ~~

@Mzdee your case is not a CR1/IR1 since your husband is not a USC. Your case is F2A - spouse of of lawful permanent resident.This makes a big difference in advice that is given. CR1/IR1 cannot add children to their applications whereas F2As can. You should change your profile to reflect F2A instead of CR1/IR1.

39 minutes ago, Mzdee said:

I assume the case is still with USCIS. When it gets to NVC, the petitioner should inform them through their public inquiry form and attach the necessary documents.

39 minutes ago, Mzdee said:

Should we wait till my application is all complete so we can do an adjustment of status for the baby when we relocate to the US since he can enter the US with his passport as a visitor without requiring a visa?

No. Why do that when you can safely add the baby to the application (and you have plenty of time since it will take about 3-4 years from filing to visa in hand for F2A category) not to mention entering the US with an intent to adjust status is immigration fraud. CBP can, and probably will, refuse entry seeing that you have an immigrant vida and your child doesn’t 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A visa for visiting is not a visa for immigrating.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
40 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from CR1/IR1 spousal visa forum to Bringing Family members of permanent residents to America - this is not a CR1/IR1 case as the petitioner is not a USC, it is an LPR ~~

@Mzdee your case is not a CR1/IR1 since your husband is not a USC. Your case is F2A - spouse of of lawful permanent resident.This makes a big difference in advice that is given. CR1/IR1 cannot add children to their applications whereas F2As can. You should change your profile to reflect F2A instead of CR1/IR1.

I assume the case is still with USCIS. When it gets to NVC, the petitioner should inform them through their public inquiry form and attach the necessary documents.

No. Why do that when you can safely add the baby to the application (and you have plenty of time since it will take about 3-4 years from filing to visa in hand for F2A category) not to mention entering the US with an intent to adjust status is immigration fraud. CBP can, and probably will, refuse entry seeing that you have an immigrant vida and your child doesn’t 

Thanks. This was very helpful. I will update my profile also

As a GC holder, your husband has an upper hand in that you can include the child in your application. My advice is for him to not apply for naturalization yet as then derivatives are not allowed for CR1/IR1 cases and he’ll have to file a separate I-130 for your baby which will delay everything significantly

Timeline
2 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

As a GC holder, your husband has an upper hand in that you can include the child in your application. My advice is for him to not apply for naturalization yet as then derivatives are not allowed for CR1/IR1 cases and he’ll have to file a separate I-130 for your baby which will delay everything significantly

Alright 

56 minutes ago, Mzdee said:

Canada. Born in Canada

Your baby will still needs to be petitioned/ needs a visa that allows them to live in the US. When the petition is approved you will add the baby to your DS260. This will not happen anytime soon… your husband should not naturalize but you might also want to file an i-130 for the baby in case something happens and he needs to naturalize. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Redro said:

If giving information try to give accurate information. OP should not think all they have to do it apply for citizenship and child automatically becomes a citizen - it is a little more involved than that... 

The header is quite misleading. Back story- petitioner is actually a LPR and not a USC. My profile on VJS was errorneously categorized as IR1/CR1 but has been updated to F2A now. 

1 minute ago, Mzdee said:

The header is quite misleading. Back story- petitioner is actually a LPR and not a USC. My profile on VJS was errorneously categorized as IR1/CR1 but has been updated to F2A now. 

You should "report" your post and request they re-write the title. 

I'm not sure how many years your partner has before they can apply for US citizenship but you might want to consider filing an I-130 petition for your new born. 

Currently, on the visa bulletin  they are interviewing F2As with a September 2020 PD. So, you will probably wait another year before the petition is approved and then you will need to wait for DQ and being called for interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread title has been edited. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A hijack post and its several replies have been split from this thread into a new topic in this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.