Newcitizen

Apartment lease - IR5 Visas

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

hello everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right place - if not, mods, please feel free to move it to where it belongs.

I filed for my parents and they are having their IR5 visa interviews soon. Meanwhile I was looking for a bigger place to move into in case they do get their visas. I found an apartment that is available for rent, I contacted the leasing agency and they had certain financial requirements. I met all the requirements, however, when I was asked about the tenants, I told them it will be me (US citizen) and 2 parents. They requested to see their Green cards to be added on the lease. I explained that they don't have their green cards yet, and that they will have IR5 visas, which allows them to get a job, get a driving license and basically serves as an actual GC. They rental agency refused to rent me the place. Saying they only accept actual green cards. Saying this is their "Management Policy". This agency is one of the best in the state and they have many rental properties. They will not rent me anything with my parents unless they have the physical GC.

This is in the state of New Hampshire. Is there anything I can do about this situation?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wait until they get here. They do not have to rent to non residents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

Wait until they get here. They do not have to rent to non residents.

Will they be residents if they enter on their IR5 visas? The thing I need to secure a bigger apartment before they arrive. There is a housing shortage here (probably everywhere) and I am looking to make arrangements before they come. Even if they arrive, it will take weeks before they receive their actual GC's.

Timeline

This is not an immigration issue, maybe rent in your name and add them later? What would happen if they move into where you live now?

And yes they are resident when they arrive and have their passport stamped.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

Even if they arrive, it will take weeks before they receive their actual GC's.

Their stamped visas (in their passports) are temporary green cards until the plastic ones arrive.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

This is not an immigration issue, maybe rent in your name and add them later? What would happen if they move into where you live now?

I suggested to rent it in my name and they refused. They said they don't add tenants to the lease unless under certain circumstances - they cited marriage.

I asked them if I can sign the lease when they arrive here. They said only if they have physical green cards. They don't accept any other documents per "Management's Policy".

I am in a tiny place right now, not enough space for 2 new adults. I am financially capable of renting bigger apartments, it's just that the rental agency is not being cooperative.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Newcitizen said:

They said only if they have physical green cards.

Did they use the term physical green cards?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They do not have to rent to non residents.

Some argue they do not have to rent to non citizens either.

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Without green cards

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Their stamped visas (in their passports) are temporary green cards until the plastic ones arrive

And those aren’t  the documents the land lord is looking for:

27 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

Saying they only accept actual green cards

C’mon guys. Some of you,  like  me, are married to members of a visible minority. Call it what it is. Candide was a fictional person.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Their stamped visas (in their passports) are temporary green cards until the plastic ones arrive.

I specifically told them this part. I stated that IR5 visa allows its holder to be employed, get driving license, open bank accounts and travel freely. I said it serves as an actual GC.

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Did they use the term physical green cards?

They stated:

"Good morning ******:

I was informed per management that we would require proof of the permanent residency card-and we would need copies of it at the time of application No other substitutes ."

Timeline

I would look elsewhere, and I would advise them to review their policies for compliance with the law. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I would look elsewhere, and I would advise them to review their policies for compliance with the law. 

Yes. I am looking for other places. It sucks because this company owns the majority of the available properties around. I don't know why they are making it difficult. I feel like someone in management is not aware what is IR5 visa or not educated enough about it. I know some of my coworkers where I work moved here with their families on L1 visas. They were able to secure rental leases before them actually arriving here from Europe. Howcome now I can't have a lease with IR5 visas. Very frustrating.

If you don’t want to give up so easily, then File Complaint w HUD..advise mgmt you have filed and will patiently await the review / investigation by Fair Housing.

Quite possibly internal policies reflect owner’s politics .

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint#_Types_of_Complaints

https://nationalfairhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2017-02-01_Fact_Sheet-Fair_Housing_Laws_protect_immigrants.pdf

Edited by Family

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Newcitizen said:

Yes. I am looking for other places. It sucks because this company owns the majority of the available properties around. I don't know why they are making it difficult. I feel like someone in management is not aware what is IR5 visa or not educated enough about it. I know some of my coworkers where I work moved here with their families on L1 visas. They were able to secure rental leases before them actually arriving here from Europe. Howcome now I can't have a lease with IR5 visas. Very frustrating.

L suggests the Company was involved and provided the security

Your original post mentioned they have not even interviewed yet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.