Mundo254

Proof of being unmarried.

44 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

People lie, sometimes they are caught sometimes they are not.

A few times I have seen f2b's forget to mention they married, move to the US and then petition their spouse. And ooops the date of the marriage is before they obtained their GC. Obviously that does not end well.

Right, didn’t we recently have one that got his visa, married right before traveling on it, and was seeking info on petitioning his wife?   

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 hours ago, Kanke said:

Leave your nonsense aside and support your arguments with evidences or else zip it here.

Back to the issue, it might be so in your case and of course you had to present the CENOMAR to support that you had no other marriage, as you were waiting for spousal visa. Here, we may assume and it makes sense to argue one possible reason why the embassy needed the certificate is to just proof that you are not attempting to escape from any other marriage. However, your scenario becomes irrelevant to cases like F2B and F11, where the benificiaries are required to remain unmarried/single throughout their process, not only in their country, but also any where they lived. Not being so jeopardises their visa cases. For such cases, there is no other way or documentation the benificiaries can proof their no-marriage status except by presenting CENOMAR. I have challenged the participants of this discussion including you to suggest any other way or option to reslove such issues, non of you suggested one. Infact there is no other explanation why these days quite a number of US and even other embassies request this document except to ascertain that the applicant isn't married or single.
I had my cousin and brother who had gone through similar scenario when they appeared for their family preference immigrant visa. They were stuck and required to present a CENOMAR during their interview at the embassies. And after presenting those documents, the embassy granted them their visa. If this certificate had no relevance to proof the no-marriage of the applicant of F2B and F11, then why did the embassies have to request it???

Do you realize that in some countries, no such document exists?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mundo254 said:

I know PI has CENOMAR, who else?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 hours ago, Mundo254 said:

I do understand that not all countries provide this document and apparently the US embassies operating in such countries may or may not request this document. 

Relating it to your situation...

Firstly, you don't need to prepare this certificate unless you are requested and it's in the embassies document checklist. So you need to check on that. If however it becomes a requirement by your domestic US embassy to present this document, you can at least take the following actions...

As far as I know, it's mostly the government manicipality office which deals with marital-related affairs, just go ahead and consult the matter with your local manicipality office by presenting them the letter in which the embassy requested the doc. And I am sure the manicipality office may have some remedial guidance. 

If the manicipality office insists processing this document is not under their mandate and as such they never entertained it, then you may request them to write a letter to the embassy explaining the matter. I hope this way you can resolve it. 

Lastly, I beleive that people in your country who have faced similar issue will be of much help to guide you on the matter. So try searching for them in social networks. 

12 hours ago, Kanke said:

I do understand that not all countries provide this document and apparently the US embassies operating in such countries may or may not request this document. 

Firstly, you don't need to prepare this certificate unless you are requested and it's in the embassies document checklist. So you need to check on that. If however it becomes a requirement by your domestic US embassy to present this document, you can at least take the following actions...

As far as I know, it's mostly the government manicipality office which deals with marital-related affairs, just go ahead and consult the matter with your local manicipality office by presenting them the letter in which the embassy requested the doc. And I am sure the manicipality office may have some remedial guidance. 

If the manicipality office insists processing this document is not under their mandate and as such they never entertained it, then you may request them to write a letter to the embassy explaining the matter. I hope this way you can resolve it. 

Lastly, I beleive that people in your country who have faced similar issue will be of much help to guide you on the matter. So try searching for them in social networks. 

“Municipality.”

12 hours ago, Kanke said:

I'm sorry, this makes no sense.

You, Kanke, could have gotten married online today (look up Utah Zoom Marriage), and be married.  How a municipality anywhere else in the world would even know that? 

It's not clear if this thread was about a real, or hypothetical situation, but the only thing I know for certain is that some people DO misrepresent their marital status, and, when they do get caught, it seems that they're stuck in an inextricable situation (trying to prove that they were, in fact, never married).  I've never seen a positive resolution of such situation.  

Don't lie, don't misrepresent the facts, provide any document requested by USCIS, or the consulate/embassy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Such a weird question, right off the bat. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire. OP, did you do something?What's your story?  @Mundo254 

And just FYI, Kenya doesn't have such a document. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, Timona said:

Such a weird question, right off the bat. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire. OP, did you do something?What's your story?  @Mundo254 

And just FYI, Kenya doesn't have such a document. 

Sigh!

@Timona , it is may be a weird question to you but it is a legitimate and straight forward question to me (and others) 

I'm out here trying to learn and seek as much info as I can  in preparation for my case...and I'm sure thats exactly what VJ is all about. The discussions here may help other people too. That's why the question is still up and others have shared their perspective. 

My story isn't weird though, I'm an unmarried over 21 years old waiting to be interviewed soon for an F2B Visa. Hope that answers your question. 

I appreciate your views nevertheless.

Edited by Mundo254

On 5/17/2023 at 2:48 PM, Boiler said:

I know PI has CENOMAR, who else?

South Africa has one... it is called a Letter of no Impediment... you can also text your ID number to check someone hasn't married you without your consent~ 

Verifying your marital status

Due to the large number of fraudulent marriages reported to the Department of Home Affairs every year, a facility has been created for you to check your marital status at any time. You will need your South African ID number in order to use this facility.

You can also sms the letter M followed by your ID number (example: M 5001010050080) to 32551 A reply sms 

On 5/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, SalishSea said:

Right, didn’t we recently have one that got his visa, married right before traveling on it, and was seeking info on petitioning his wife?   

He managed to get his wife and child their visas after a long AP... I've been looking for the post but can't find it. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline

That is sort of amusing, sort of the opposite and does require an ID number otherwise I would have checked myself

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

26 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That is sort of amusing, sort of the opposite and does require an ID number otherwise I would have checked myself

Right? Apparently, foreigners were marrying SA citizens to get status without their knowledge (someone was selling ID numbers)... so now if you do marry a foreigner in SA you have to interview before obtaining the marriage license to prove you actually know each other... 

Balkans has that document - I had to have it getting married (as a local) in Bosnia, my then future husband had to get it (US embassy ACS issued it). Same for Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, I want to say Slovenia as well. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Again, those only show that a marriage did not take place in that particular jurisdiction.  Not hugely meaningful when the world's population is quite mobile and we have the state of Utah marrying anyone in any place on earth.

Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Balkans has that document - I had to have it getting married (as a local) in Bosnia, my then future husband had to get it (US embassy ACS issued it). Same for Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Kosovo, I want to say Slovenia as well. 

That is different

Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry: Some countries require an affidavit by the parties as proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract. No such government-issued document exists in the United States. You may execute such an affidavit at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The U.S. embassy or consulate cannot attest to your marital status. However, most countries will accept a statement from you regarding your ability to marry if your signature on the affidavit has been notarized by a U.S. consular officer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.