8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a pending i751 application and I'm planning to go on a trip to South Korea in few months. Did anyone travel to South Korea with an expired green card and the extension letter ? Are they familiar with it ? Did anyone have any issues ?

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

4 minutes ago, whiterose123 said:

Hi everyone,

I have a pending i751 application and I'm planning to go on a trip to South Korea in few months. Did anyone travel to South Korea with an expired green card and the extension letter ? Are they familiar with it ? Did anyone have any issues ?

why would south korea care about your green card and i-751 pending ? they care if. you have a visa to enter south korea 

duh

5 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

why would south korea care about your green card and i-751 pending ? they care if. you have a visa to enter south korea 

On the way out of South Korea, airlines will request the proper documentation to enter the US, which is what OP is asking if they are familiar with extensions letters.

Hope someone can answer this question OP, but even if they are not familiar with it - which they should be but you never know what you get - rest assured that having the expired green card plus the extension letter is sufficient and be firm about it. The CBP carrier guide has added extension letters as part of valid documents, so you can print it out for your own peace of mind and in case your airline attendant is unsure about your docs. 

There's also another thread on this same part of the forum that aggregates multiple experiences at different airports - it's pinned at the top, maybe you can find a SK recent one there as well. Don't worry too much, you have all it takes and safe travels!

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, jackiegringa said:

On the way out of South Korea, airlines will request the proper documentation to enter the US, which is what OP is asking if they are familiar with extensions letters.

Hope someone can answer this question OP, but even if they are not familiar with it - which they should be but you never know what you get - rest assured that having the expired green card plus the extension letter is sufficient and be firm about it. The CBP carrier guide has added extension letters as part of valid documents, so you can print it out for your own peace of mind and in case your airline attendant is unsure about your docs. 

There's also another thread on this same part of the forum that aggregates multiple experiences at different airports - it's pinned at the top, maybe you can find a SK recent one there as well. Don't worry too much, you have all it takes and safe travels!

Thank you, do you have the link to that thread ?

AOS from K1

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

Timeline
27 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

Of course South Korea will care about my GC and extension letter, I'm literally boarding the airplane to the US from there.

People in my same situation have had different experiences depending on the airport/country they departed from, I'm asking people about their specific experience in SK 

AOS from K1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
19 hours ago, whiterose123 said:

Of course South Korea will care about my GC and extension letter, I'm literally boarding the airplane to the US from there.

People in my same situation have had different experiences depending on the airport/country they departed from, I'm asking people about their specific experience in SK 

Are you just transiting through South Korea?  Anyway, my wife flew through Incheon back one time when she was on her extension letter, she had no issues as she was flying Delta and they were familiar with the process.  Also, as already stated, the CBP carrier guide (page 2) shows that an expired GC and valid original extension letter (I797 NOA) is acceptable for an airline to board a person coming to the US.  I think the question was related to does the ROK government care about your US status, that would be a no, they only care that you are legal to enter the ROK.  The group that will care are the airline staff that will check you in to your flight back to the US.  Anyway, my only other suggestion is to make a couple of copies of the extension letter and keep the original safe as you need to present the original to CBP with your expired GC.  My wife was once asked to leave the letter by the airline staff in Beijing, luckily she had a copy of it.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.