EatBulaga

Post-AOS optional To-Do's?

9 posts in this topic

So we received the 2-year conditional green card for my foreign spouse, and we are in the process of doing some tasks that may be of interest to others in the similar situation.

As the title says, these are OPTIONAL things that you can do for your foreign spouse after getting the conditional green card.

And we are definitely open to suggestions on what else we need to consider doing.

1. Update the foreign spouse's information at the bank with the conditional green card.

Our bank still has not certified my spouse's foreign status, and automatically deducts 30% of interest earnings.

This is not that big of a deal since we joint file on the tax return and all the deductions are in the wash of the tax refund.

Our current banking situation is fine so this is not a critical task. 

By updating the bank with the conditional green card, we hope to avoid any future legal residence or foreign status restrictions for my spouse? Would that be correct?

2. Update the Social Security Card to remove the "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

I've read green card cases where this restriction was never removed and it was never a problem from working to collecting Social Security after retirement.

I also read some convincing posts to do this as soon as possible?

Anything that reduces restrictions is better I assume?

3. Update driver's license or state ID.

For our state, the foreigner driver's license expiration coincides with the valid EAD card or the Green Card.

So updating with the Green Card extends the expiration of the driver's license.

Again, driver's license policy for foreigners may be different for each state so this may be an issue or non-issue?

4. Apply for Global Entry.

I posted our experience at

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/799684-global-entry-with-conditional-green-card/?do=findComment&comment=10837516

Again this is optional, but if you plan on traveling outside the country, then this is worth the $100 and it includes the TSA Precheck.

I did come across some posts where DHS is considering raising the fee.

The only thing I have not heard much about are cases when someone is denied Global Entry?

If anyone knows negative reasons to applying for Global Entry, I certainly like to hear them?

Are there other things similar to these tasks that we should consider doing after getting the 2-year conditional green card while we wait to submit the I-751?

Or did I miss some MUST THINGS TO-DO's after getting the conditional green card?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Edited by EatBulaga

3 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

Update the Social Security Card to remove the "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

There's no cost to do this and together with a state ID it can be used for a job (I9 verification) for example, and it can come handy if for some reason you lose your green card or it's expired and while valid, it's easier to just show something else to HR that doesn't understand how immigration stuff works.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

19 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

3. Update driver's license or state ID.

For our state, the foreigner driver's license expiration coincides with the valid EAD card or the Green Card.

This would extend my expiration by like 2 months lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moving Here and YOur New Life, from AOS from K1/K3 - as the OP has completed the AOS process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

3. Update driver's license or state ID

For our state, the foreigner driver's license expiration coincides with the valid EAD card or the Green Card.

This part is not for legal residents of Ga which is what immigrants on K1 or CR 1 are

you must get apply for Ga license within 30 days (even if moving from another state)

i moved into Ga and we had to do this

https://dds.georgia.gov/information-non-us-citizens

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days

Apply and take the written tests to get learner's permit and then schedule driving test

I would add if one had a ITIN,  update at US back and IRS with SS#

Get a local map if car doesn't have GP

spend a few days driving the immigrant around to make them familiar with the area 

Find a local group of other immigrants from the same country or religion to help the person be comfortable 

3 hours ago, jp1000 said:

This would extend my expiration by like 2 months lol

In our case, the green card extended the driver's license 4 months.

3 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

5. Read the instructions to Remove conditions (in two years).  Get a box and set up a folder on the computer.  Save all evidence pieces as you go. 

Already doing this, and starting to lurk the ROC posts. 😂

2 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

More mandatory than optional, for "life" as well as ROC:  have an attorney draft a set of estate documents (Wills, medical & financial Powers of Attorney, & related papers) for you and spouse.  These are crucial, even if you're young or own little property.  These documents also make superb evidence for ROC.

Addendum:  If you move from one U.S. state to another, find out whether your estate documents are "reciprocal" (accepted by both states).  If not, get them revised as a priority.

Good advice! Definite To-Do. 

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

This part is not for legal residents of Ga which is what immigrants on K1 or CR 1 are

you must get apply for Ga license within 30 days (even if moving from another state)

i moved into Ga and we had to do this

https://dds.georgia.gov/information-non-us-citizens

If a non-US citizen establishes residency in Georgia, he or she must obtain a Georgia driver’s license within thirty (30) days

Yes, we first got the state Real ID within the first week, and the ID expiration coincides with the I-94 expiration. 

We then updated to instructional permit and then the road test before the I-94 expired, but was only able to get the 120-day extension for the driver's license.

Updating the driver's license was related to the "humanitarian reason" for us to expedite the I-751.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/789757-is-expiring-drivers-license-reason-for-expediting-ead/?tab=comments#comment-10792667

As for learning the local map, that is on-going. 😂

Edited by EatBulaga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.