Dave Knapp

How Early to Arrive for Interview

10 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

We are down to the last 10 days.  Aiza's interview is on Monday April 17 at 0730.  My question is how early should we arrive?  I'm thinking maybe 6:30.  She's thinking 4:30, but that's a pretty typical Filipino "fall in Line" thing.  Any thoughts, experience?  Thanks.

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Really anything more than 30 minutes isn’t any advantage.  It may be different in different Embassies, but they had us outside in a line (one for immigrants and one for tourist/visitor) and we all went in together as a group.  We all sat down and they called people up working cases from a stack that was already there.  So, those that got there earlier had no advantage as the people working the cases had no idea who was there first or last.

1 hour ago, Dave Knapp said:

Hey Everyone,

We are down to the last 10 days.  Aiza's interview is on Monday April 17 at 0730.  My question is how early should we arrive?  I'm thinking maybe 6:30.  She's thinking 4:30, but that's a pretty typical Filipino "fall in Line" thing.  Any thoughts, experience?  Thanks.

Dave

She wants to arrive three hours before the appointment time?   There will not be anyone even in the consular section of the embassy at 430 in the morning!

You don’t get brownie points for arriving hours early, and it’s not a first come first served deal.   Half an hour early is plenty.

Edited by Jorgedig

US Embassy Manilla won't let people in early so it's no use arriving early.  They let in groups by appointment time at 10 or 15 minutes intervals. Arriving a half hour early is as good as it gets.

However, the wildcard is that in the Philippines if someone says they will be arriving at 4:30AM, they might actually arrive at 7:30AM western time.😉

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance had her interview a few weeks ago with a 6:30AM appointment, she got there about a half hour early and that was plenty. Just make sure she doesn't take her cell phone because it won't be allowed inside. 

Arriving early only worked for us in manila as my wife was pregnant then. Even though we were 8am timeslots the guards put her in the first group. Usually I complain about sitting at the bank for four hours while they take every senior, PWD and pregnant woman before me. 😃

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our interview isn't until May 4th, but on the sign up page...all I've ever seen is an appointment of 6:30 am with as many as 50 slots available per day. I've also noticed that the only day available for K1 appointments were Thursdays. How are other people seeing other time slots?

How safe is the area for those going for their interviews? Do they line up outside the embassy gates? Inside?

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><    <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><  <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Kawika & Michelle

Together since June 10th, 2020.

Cebu, Philippines to Katy, TX.

Facebook group for Filipinas & their partners who are living in or will be moving to Texas...

www.facebook.com/groups/texasfilipinacouples/

35 minutes ago, Kawika said:

Do they line up outside the embassy gates? Inside?

K1 is considered immigrant visa interview, so applicants do not need to line up outside the embassy gates.  Aside from senior citizens, pregnant, or PWD applicants, the gatekeeper may turn away applicants who arrive too early and tell them to come back closer to their appointment time.  Applicants will be let in around 30 minutes before their timeslot.  If the consulate waiting area is full, applicants on the same timeslot are made to wait in the covered area (with seats) just outside the building but inside the embassy compound.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:16 AM, Chancy said:

K1 is considered immigrant visa interview, so applicants do not need to line up outside the embassy gates.  Aside from senior citizens, pregnant, or PWD applicants, the gatekeeper may turn away applicants who arrive too early and tell them to come back closer to their appointment time.  Applicants will be let in around 30 minutes before their timeslot.  If the consulate waiting area is full, applicants on the same timeslot are made to wait in the covered area (with seats) just outside the building but inside the embassy compound.

"Back ion the day" (2013?) there were lines of chairs set up--each line representing a different visa category. We got there at "Oh-dark-thirty" and were about the fourth in line for the K-1 line. It actually did not matter because the chairs were still (pick a number) of feet from the first security check-in. You can figure out what happened when the doors "opened!" There was a second "official" seating area--still outside the embassy--where you waited for your number to be called---THEN you got inside to wait for your biometrics and interviews. I have a complete review of the process  in my timeline, but like @Chancy said, probably no need to be there before sunrise! Best of luck! 

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

On 4/11/2023 at 11:21 PM, Kawika said:

How safe is the area for those going for their interviews? Do they line up outside the embassy gates? Inside?

If you arrive too early you will have to sit outside the compound next to the busy street.  There are some concrete benches out there usually filled with people waiting to go in or waiting for others who are inside.  And lots of hawkers selling goods and services.  This is a reason not to go too early.

When you are closer to your time, they will let you inside the compound where they have covered seating, and an organized way of letting people into the building.

If it works for you, there are some AirBnbs in a building right across the street that are very convenient for an early appointment.  Some hotels too, a few steps further.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.