CelloLover

Traveling with green card or passport

10 posts in this topic

My wife is about to receive her green card and we have been talking about traveling abroad. I have the following questions related to our situation:

• Does she need to present her passport (Ukraine) at border control of the travel destination or is the conditional green card sufficient?
  • Her surname on passport and green card are different.
    • Does she need to bring proof of name change (ex. marriage certificate) for travel?
    • Should the flight be booked using her new or old surname?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, CelloLover said:
  • Does she need to present her passport (Ukraine) at border control of the travel destination or is the conditional green card sufficient?

What is the destination?

Does she need to bring proof of name change (ex. marriage certificate) for travel?

Yes

Should the flight be booked using her new or old surname?

Name on passport is the lesser hassle

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
5 minutes ago, CelloLover said:

Poland, Mexico, Peru, Taiwan, Japan, or Vietnam.

All those countries will require her passport.

According to

https://www.visatraveler.com/blog/visa-free-countries-for-us-green-card-holders/

Mexico and Peru  will waive a visa if she has a green card.

According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Peru she does not need a visa or green card to enter Peru.

According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Mexico she is also eligible for electronic travel authorization for Mexico. I recommend she go that route. 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, CelloLover said:

Are you ChatGPT? 

No. I provide accurate information.

14 hours ago, CelloLover said:

My wife is about to receive her green card and we have been talking about traveling abroad. I have the following questions related to our situation:

• Does she need to present her passport (Ukraine) at border control of the travel destination or is the conditional green card sufficient?
    • Does she need to bring proof of name change (ex. marriage certificate) for travel?

If USCs are required to show a passport when seeking admission to those countries, why in the world would LPRs not be?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 hours ago, CelloLover said:

Green cards are only recognized for reentry  by the US. .. except for a couple of other places  .. It does not replace an passport as a travel document 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 hours ago, CelloLover said:

She'll need to present her passport to even be allowed on the plane to any destination, and in order to board the final flight back into the US she will need both passport and green card. The different names will definitely complicate things no matter how you slice it, but if you are entering multiple countries, having passport and flight booking match will be the least hassle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.