KevinA74

Accompanying forms for I-485 [merged threads]

36 posts in this topic

Two questions. The I-485 (family based) checklist mentions including form I-864, Affidavit of Support (if required). How do I know if this form is required or not?

Also, the frontpage mentions form I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record), but it's not included in the checklist. Do I need this form?

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 minutes ago, KevinA74 said:

How do I know if this form is required or not?

1. Can the beneficiary be credited with 40 social security credits?

2. Is the beneficiary a child of the petitioner under age 18 and is the petitioner a U.S. citizen?

If 1 or 2 or both are true, file I-864W instead.

9 minutes ago, KevinA74 said:

Also, the frontpage mentions form I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record), but it's not included in the checklist. Do I need this form?

If money is no object, include it.

On 3/26/2023 at 10:36 PM, Mike E said:

1. Can the beneficiary be credited with 40 social security credits?

2. Is the beneficiary a child of the petitioner under age 18 and is the petitioner a U.S. citizen?

If 1 or 2 or both are true, file I-864W instead.

If money is no object, include it.

1. If neither 1 or 2 are true, would I need I-864?

2. What are social security credits?

3. What would happen if I don't include form I-693?

Thanks!

Edited by KevinA74

21 minutes ago, KevinA74 said:

Just curious, why would I need I-765 if I'm filling out a green card application (I-485)? Is there a difference between the two?

Because I-765 and I-131 may get approved before your I-485. Often, you will get EAD and AP within 6-8 months, but GC will take 12-18 months to get approved. At least you could start working on EAD and have an option for emergency travel under AP.

I-131 and I-765 are free when filed together with I-485.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, KevinA74 said:

1. If neither 1 or 2 are true, would I need I-864?

yes

2. What are social security credits?

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02459

3. What would happen if I don't include form I-693?

Thanks!

You might get an RFE which means you are delaying delivery of a green card

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to file I-864 with I-485 (I-130 already approved). The beneficary will adjust her status (AOS) in the U.S.

Re: I-864, the USCIS website states:

If you file outside the United States: There is no fee if you file with USCIS or the Department of State.

If you file within the United States: You must file with the Department of State; however, they charge a fee. For more information, please visit their website.

Question: If AOS is done in the U.S., can the I-864 be filed with the USCIS instead (along with I-485)? And if so, is the fee still waived?

13 minutes ago, KevinA74 said:

I would like to file I-864 with I-485 (I-130 already approved). The beneficary will adjust her status (AOS) in the U.S.

Re: I-864, the USCIS website states:

Question: If AOS is done in the U.S., can the I-864 be filed with the USCIS instead (along with I-485)? And if so, is the fee still waived?

Where is the beneficiary now?

20 hours ago, KevinA74 said:

The I-485 must be filed with I-864 (unless your beneficiary has 40 qualifying work credits in the US).  I-485 without I-864 will likely be rejected.  No fee for I-864 filed with I-485.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Related threads have been merged and placed in a single forum.

KevinA74:

1.  Please avoid starting multiple threads on related topic.  Continue in this thread only.

2.  What visa was your beneficiary admitted to the U.S. on?

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, TBoneTX said: