StarChristmas

Renew Green Card - Help Please [merged threads]

45 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am not sure if I am in the correct forum, and I am in need of some answers. I came to the US on 2010. Obtained my first conditional green card through 2013 and renewed through 2023. MY green card will be expiring on 2023. The last couple of years have been hard for me and got convicted of a DUI (1st offense) on 12/6/21 and a wet reckless in April 2018. I was wondering what steps should I follow. I previously spoke with immigration attorneys who declined to represent me for the naturalization process.

Also, I was wondering if I could be pointed to timelines for green card renewals.

I appreciate your feedback in advance,

A.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

You need an attorney who will tell you, given your criminal record, if you should file I-90 to renew your gc.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, StarChristmas said:

Hello,

I am not sure if I am in the correct forum, and I am in need of some answers. I came to the US on 2010. Obtained my first conditional green card through 2013 and renewed through 2023. MY green card will be expiring on 2023. The last couple of years have been hard for me and got convicted of a DUI (1st offense) on 12/6/21 and a wet reckless in April 2018. I was wondering what steps should I follow. I previously spoke with immigration attorneys who declined to represent me for the naturalization process.

Also, I was wondering if I could be pointed to timelines for green card renewals.

I appreciate your feedback in advance,

A.

Here is info on renewing your green card: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my-options/renew-or-replace-my-green-card

You can file to renew if you card is expired or will expire within 6 months.

A single DUI doesn't automatically mean you will have issues with renewal or with naturalization but if there are multiple DUIs or other convictions it could be a problem.

I assume the "wet reckless" in 2018 was reckless driving involving alcohol. I am honestly not sure how this would be viewed by USCIS. Hopefully some more knowledgeable members here can chime in regarding the driving offenses. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Option 1.
Apply for N-400 May 1st of 2023, to put the April 2018 wet and reckless outside the 5 year GMC …this just to be on the safe side. But you must have completed all the sentencing terms of the Dec 2021 DUI ..u cannot be on probation when you apply, for example . 
Put together a good show of taxes filed, no other contacts with law enforcement, completion or attendance of any alcohol dependency treatment if applicable, some community organizations/ church leaders Letters of Recommendation ( for example you volunteer coach at Little League…) 

Option 2. 
If all the terms of your December, 2021 DUI are completed ( fines paid, classes completed , probation finished) ….and you feel like it’s worth the N-400 fee , apply for N-400 now. The only thing you risk is the fee , as you are NOT removable. You will need to argue wet and reckless is NOT a criminal equivalent of DUI ( and does not show as such on your DMV record) and that you are a person of GMC .

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-implements-two-decisions-from-the-attorney-general-on-good-moral-character-determinations

Hi folks,

I am grateful for each of your responses. And thank you kindly to the links to file I-90 steps and GMC.

Yes, my wet reckless had alcohol involved (my BAC was under the limit and no probation period was imposed) Would you still recommend to file on May 2023? - 

Today, I have not completed all of the sentencing terms. Unable to see my family, I am in probation for three years after sentencing. However, I am taking DUI classes and paying my court fees. 

I joined a transformation center exactly two months ago. It is a faith based two-year program so I've been sober and working on myself since then.

I see online that I should be applying to renew my GC six months before expiration. I was wondering if folks had any other insights as well as timelines. I haven't been in this website for ten years so I am little rusty.

I appreciate your help in advance,

Allie

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Several states cite reckless driving as criminal. If yours is cited the same way, DUI and subsequent criminal driving would be very negative for N400. Renewing GC is a good idea at this time. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

2 hours ago, StarChristmas said:

Today, I have not completed all of the sentencing terms. Unable to see my family, I am in probation for three years after sentencing. However, I am taking DUI classes and paying my court fees. 

Waste of filing fee and effort to apply before probation ends…so you wait and hold on. 
Where / what country is the family in?

Hello members,

I live in California and my wet reckless conviction happened in Contra Costa county. My parents and brother live in Peru. They have visas but I am not financially stable enough for them to come visit.

Is my wet reckless accounted as a DUI? Should I be seeking immigration legal guidance? 

What are your thoughts on using the resources listed on this website? https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/documents/legalServiceProviders/Sacramento-County-Legal-Services.pdf

Thank you again, your feedback helps!

- Allie

1. Unfortunately, being on probation bars you from applying .

D. Effect of Probation

An officer may not approve a naturalization application while the applicant is on probation, parole, or under a suspended sentence.[30] However, an applicant who has satisfactorily completed probation, parole, or a suspended sentence during the relevant statutory period is not automatically precluded from establishing GMC. The fact that an applicant was on probation, parole, or under a suspended sentence during the statutory period, however, may affect the overall GMC determination.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-f-chapter-2

2. Did you have an attorney for the DUI ? At best you can research attorneys that specialize in post conviction relief ..basically they look at the court case and if they find “ procedural errors or constitutional infirmity “ they will tell if you have a chance at vacating judgement.

3. Your informal probation does not your ability to travel at all and Peru is not like Canada ( they won’t even let in US Citizens w DUI record ). 

Edited by Family

I am okay with not applying for naturalization at this time. Even when I only had a wet reckless I was advised not to apply for naturalization. 

Yes. I had an attorney that represented me against the DUI case. If I am applying for a GC renewal I-90, should I still look into post conviction relief and what it entails?

I was advised to not travel during probation as well.

Please let me know,

You get your I-90 renewal without issues. I don’t see a problem with international travel to Peru and will hope others chime in. Definitely get a second opinion to make sure those conditions are not part of your probation and it’s not unheard of to get early termination of probation ( after one year for example). 

Most important, even if you have to wait it out…you are doing well , and perhaps needed that bump in the road just so you get on a good path. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.