JayFromTexas

Processing Question re:IR/CR1/K3 Visa for Wife and Stepdaughter

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Two days ago, I submitted an I130 application for my Russian wife and a separate I130 for her daughter, now my stepdaughter (we got married 3/3/23).

Today, I mailed off an I129f Spouse application for the purpose of speeding up the approval of my wife's I130 application, as several have done here.

I have a question about my stepdaughter's I130. If the I129f speeds up the approval of my wife's I130, will it have any effect on my stepdaughter's I130 application? If not, is there any way to link or merge my stepdaughter's I130 app with her mothers?

Edited by JayFromTexas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm so confused. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

I have never seen people filing an I-129f to speed up an I-130.

Whenever someone inquires about the K3, the forum members that reply are very emphatic about that visa category being practically obsolete. 

Maybe you checked really old threads from when filing both was actually a thing? 

There is almost a 100% chance the K3 won't be approved.

Timeline

I don't expect the 129f to be approved. The I129f will be declined, but its filing seems to call attention to the applicant and somehow accelerates approval of the I130.  Several here have accelerated the approval of their I130 by also filing a I129F. Take a look at @simplytex's timeline. He got an interview scheduled in a little more than 11 months by filing an I129F immediately after filing his I130. @moscowmojo got his I130 interview scheduled 6 months after filing I130. There are a few more who have done the same.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
14 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

I don't expect the 129f to be approved. The I129f will be declined, but its filing seems to call attention to the applicant and somehow accelerates approval of the I130.  Several here have accelerated the approval of their I130 by also filing a I129F. Take a look at @simplytex's timeline. He got an interview scheduled in a little more than 11 months by filing an I129F immediately after filing his I130. @moscowmojo got his I130 interview scheduled 6 months after filing I130. There are a few more who have done the same.

Yes, this is a "thing" and sometimes it works.  I'm assuming your had a receipt notice for each I-130 petition to include with your I-129F filing???  As for what will happen, you can only wait and see.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Each I-130 is an independent entity.  Your wife's application could move forward at a much faster rate if all goes according to your K3 plan.  You can attempt to call USCIS and see if they will link the cases, but there is no guarantee and their approvals can come at entirely different dates.  

Make sure your wife has all of the paperwork for your stepdaughter in place, including a custody order listing her as having sole custody of the child and worded such that she is allowed to make all custodial decisions in regards to the child, including immigration.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
6 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Each I-130 is an independent entity.  Your wife's application could move forward at a much faster rate if all goes according to your K3 plan.  You can attempt to call USCIS and see if they will link the cases, but there is no guarantee and their approvals can come at entirely different dates.  

Make sure your wife has all of the paperwork for your stepdaughter in place, including a custody order listing her as having sole custody of the child and worded such that she is allowed to make all custodial decisions in regards to the child, including immigration.  

You would think that since we put "Other Petition" information in the application that they would figure that out and link them. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

You would think that since we put "Other Petition" information in the application that they would figure that out and link them. 

You're relying on a government entity to apply logic...

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JayFromTexas said:

Yes, I had a momentary brain malfunction there. Back to reality...

Call at the USCIS stage and then call again at the NVC stage.  We had to do the same.  Our cases were a little bit more complicated, but it all worked out.  

All the best, man.  It's a process for sure, but you'll get there.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
Just now, mam521 said:

Call at the USCIS stage and then call again at the NVC stage.  We had to do the same.  Our cases were a little bit more complicated, but it all worked out.  

All the best, man.  It's a process for sure, but you'll get there.  

THANK YOU, very much. We're at the "excited at starting the process" stage. I'm sure we'll visit all the different stages of frustration and dismay. I'm hopeful that the 129f trick will speed things up substantially, but prepared for the long haul. As we all know, we can only do what we can do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Are the petitions at the same USCIS office?

you won't get anywhere trying to call USCIS and ask for a I 129,  the CR2/IR2  needs its own I 129

U applied 3/13/23 and in all fairness this will still take time 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.