Pauie18

Should I mention having second wedding when removing conditions?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi you guys. My husband and I are gathering everything for the removal of conditions on his green card. I was wondering if mentioning we are getting remarried in the Philippines would help or hurt our case? We got married at city hall here in CA without any of our families. We've always planned on having a big wedding in the Philippines, but then covid happened. We're finally able to do it this MAY! SO excited! But I was wondering if its a good idea to add that to our evidence? I've got plane tickets, invitations, and a lot of vendor contracts showing both our names. Anyways, any advice would be great!

Thank you!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

What do you actually mean by remarried?

With few exceptions you cannot be married twice, even to the same person. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry if that was confusing. By married I mean we haven't had our big wedding in his home country yet. It's like you know how some people elope and then have a big celebration after with friends and family.

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Good.  Use the term celebration and not remarry in anything you send with your I-751. If the invitations and other collateral say remarry then keep this away from your I-751. 

Our lawyer for the original I-130/I-485 suggested the same framing as Mike for the original GC application - "wedding celebration". When I sent photos in for ROC I captioned them "COVID delayed Wedding celebration"

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Oath Scheduled - May 18, 2024

Oath Ceremony - June 18, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree with the advice given so far.  My husband and I got legally married in Brazil, with a small group of his family members present.  Then a year later, when he arrived in the USA with a CR-1 spousal visa, we had a larger wedding "celebration/dinner" with my family.  When he filed his I-751 package 18 months ago, he included a few photos, clearly marked as a wedding celebration, not a marriage.  He also included a few photos from our marriage in Brazil, and lots of other financial documents to show that our marriage is bona fide, from the date of marriage until filing the I-751.  He's still waiting for the I-751 interview as well as the N-400 interview.  We're hoping for a combo interview later this year.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, Pauie18 said:

We've always planned on having a big wedding in the Philippines, but then covid happened. We're finally able to do it this MAY!

Reminder NOT to get/sign a Philippine marriage license.  It would not be legal to do so since you are already legally married.  As others mentioned, it's perfectly fine to have another wedding ceremony/celebration/reception/party.  Just make sure no new legal paperwork is involved.

13 hours ago, Pauie18 said:

Sorry if that was confusing. By married I mean we haven't had our big wedding in his home country yet. It's like you know how some people elope and then have a big celebration after with friends and family.

You are renewing your vows, it is not the same as getting “remarried.”    This is an important distinction.

My husband and I got married at city hall with just my grandma present and had our bigger wedding celebration a year later. I included both pictures from our city hall wedding and big wedding celebration when I filed my I-751.

Fast forward to my combo interview which was on October 2022, the IO who interviewed me and my husband asked me when our wedding was and of course I said our city hall wedding date. I didn't do this mistake but make sure you don't confuse the two dates! Afterwards, the IO was asking us about trips we took together and my husband mentioned that one of the trips we took was for our "big wedding" (since our big wedding celebration was an out-of-town wedding) and the IO just smiled. Didn't ask any follow up questions about it. I was approved on the spot for my I-751 and N-400! You'll be fine but like what others have previously mentioned, don't use the term "remarried". Good luck on your journey!

22 hours ago, Pauie18 said:

Hi you guys. My husband and I are gathering everything for the removal of conditions on his green card. I was wondering if mentioning we are getting remarried in the Philippines would help or hurt our case? We got married at city hall here in CA without any of our families. We've always planned on having a big wedding in the Philippines, but then covid happened. We're finally able to do it this MAY! SO excited! But I was wondering if its a good idea to add that to our evidence? I've got plane tickets, invitations, and a lot of vendor contracts showing both our names. Anyways, any advice would be great!

Thank you!!!

Why would you bring this up with USCIS.

Your marriage was legally finalized in California and that ceremony is the only one that matters or is recognized not only by the US but globally.

You’d be wise to refer to this as a celebration party and leave “married” out of the title.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.