14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone .

My name is Tomas PK , I am from the Netherlands. My fiance is from Hawaii and planing to get married in hawaii. We have no clues or idea what we should do, get married right away so I can get to work as soon as possible to supporting our life or just get spouse visa.For us it's no different ,we just want to be together ASAP. With Dutch nationality, I have ESTA which I have 3 months right to travel in the US.If any one have any suggestions, I will be very appreciate. 

Love 

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove excessive blank space

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you are not in the US at the moment your only options are either an I129F application by your US based fiancé, or get married and have your USC spouse file the I130 for an eventual spousal visa per the link @Mike E provided.  It is time for both you and your fiancé to become A-Students of the immigration process and VJ has many resources in the Guides.

As an aside, the spousal visa is recommended as it is far superior, but either the fiancé visa (K1) or spousal visa (CR1/IR1) will take a lot of time, but you have an advantage as being from an ESTA country, you can come and visit during the process based on the discretion of the CBP officers.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

~~ Topic moved from K1 forum to What Visa do I need ~~

Neither option will be fast. In fact, it’s the opposite of that. The K1 fiancé visa route has long lost its quick processing, it will probably take longer than the spousal. Be prepared to wait 18-24 months to be able to move to the US to be with your to-be-spouse. Good luck and as mentioned, you need to put in effort and time to learn the US immigration process.

Edited by powerpuff

It is not a fast process.   It will take close to two years.

I suggest you have your fiancé join us here, because there is much to learn.

Thanks for all your informations,I just random clicked on K1 visa ,but as I mentioned,I/we have no clues about anything.one of my friend from Japan ,she came to the US with an spouse visa and she wasn't able to work and still waiting for her work permit. Our concern is which way is allowing me to get to work right away instead of seating home waiting for year,if we getting married in hawaii am I allowed to get to work right away?I use to work for US company more than 15 years.I thank you everyone for suggestions and advices. 

Tomas PK

Edited by Ryan H

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, PK Tomas said:

Thanks for all your informations,I just random clicked on K1 visa ,but as I mentioned,I/we have no clues about anything.one of my friend from Japan ,she came to the US with an spouse visa and she wasn't able to work and still waiting for her work permit. Our concern is which way is allowing me to get to work right away instead of seating home waiting for year,if we getting married in hawaii am I allowed to get to work right away?I use to work for US company more than 15 years.I thank you everyone for suggestions and advices. 

Tomas PK

Not sure about your friend from Japan, but it sounds like they went through the AOS process which requires the an application for an Employment Authorization Document.  With a spousal visa, after you get the visa in 18-24 months and enter the US, you will be authorized to work immediately as a legal permanent resident (LPR).

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Working right away leaves you with only one option, get married and file I 130 for Spousal Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 hours ago, PK Tomas said:

if we getting married in hawaii am I allowed to get to work right away?I

Just to clarify - you can marry in Hawaii, and then you will need to return home while your spouse petitions you and the petition and visa process takes place.  This is what could potentially take two years.  So, you can work "right away" once you arrive with your immigrant visa, but not "right away" after marrying in Hawaii.

My fiance asking me just come to the US with ESTA, after 90 days we'll get married as someone told him .Does anyone can give me any advice regarding this? My concern is after 90 days ,i may get in to trouble as well because that is like living in the USillegally. 

Edited by Ryan H

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VWP is for visiting not immigrating.

Assuming you are allowed entry, and not sent home with a ban, after 90 days you are out of status and deportable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.