sashsash

N-400 Interview Evidence (3 year rule)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello!

I have my interview in less than 2 weeks. I already have my 10-year green card, ROC was approved without interview. I applied in October 2022 and the evidence I submitted will be included in the list below. I am thinking "it's better to bring it and don't need it rather than don't bring it and regret about it"; however, I am still trying to find that middle ground, so I don't get lost in papers.

Here are my questions:

1) What else should I add?

2) For what period of time should the bills/bank statements be? I submitted last 6 months (April - September 2022) and for the interview I will only have 2-3 more bills/statement. Should I just add new statements to those I submitted or should I do every 6 months within 3 years of marriage? Every month?

3) Should I bring copies along with the originals (for ex., for birth certificates, passports, green cards etc)?

What I am planning on bringing:

• Appointment letter
  • Mine:
    • Green Card (2-year and 10-year)
    • Driver license + Real ID
    • Two passports (both from the same country)
  • US Citizen Spouse's passport
  • US Citizen Spouse's driver's license
  • US Citizen Spouse's Birth Certificate

• Tax Transcripts (2019, 2020, 2021)
  • Tax Returns (2019, 2020, 2021)

• Marriage Certificate + Amendment + Letter of explanation (there was a typo in marriage certificate, thus it needed amendment)

• Lease Agreements (2019-2020, 2020-2021, 2021-2022)

• Bank Statements:
    • Joint Saving Account (last 4 months)
    • Joint Checking Account (last 6 months)
    • Chase Credit Card as an authorized user of USC spouse's account (copies of front and back) 
    • Citi Credit Card as an authorized user of USC spouse's account (copies front and back)

• Medical Insurance for me and spouse (proof from the website)
  • Medical Insurance ID cards
  • Driver's License showing same address for me and spouse (copy)
  • Car Title (both names)
  • Car Insurance (both names)
  • Phone Bills (last 6 months)
  • Electricity Bills (last 6 months)

• Photos from the last 3 years

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, sashsash said:

Hello!

I have my interview in less than 2 weeks. I already have my 10-year green card, ROC was approved without interview. I applied in October 2022 and the evidence I submitted will be included in the list below. I am thinking "it's better to bring it and don't need it rather than don't bring it and regret about it"; however, I am still trying to find that middle ground, so I don't get lost in papers.

Here are my questions:

2) For what period of time should the bills/bank statements be? I submitted last 6 months (April - September 2022) and for the interview I will only have 2-3 more bills/statement. Should I just add new statements to those I submitted or should I do every 6 months within 3 years of marriage? Every month?

3) Should I bring copies along with the originals (for ex., for birth certificates, passports, green cards etc)?

• Appointment letter
  • Mine:

• Marriage Certificate + Amendment + Letter of explanation (there was a typo in marriage certificate, thus it needed amendment)

• Bank Statements:
    • Chase Credit Card as an authorized user of USC spouse's account (copies of front and back) 
    • Citi Credit Card as an authorized user of USC spouse's account (copies front and back)

• Car Title (both names)

Thank you!

You have plenty and seem very prepared...one item (if applicable) would be to bring in your and your spouse's divorce records from previous marriages (again, if applicable). 

Timeline
1 minute ago, SoCal2021 said:

You have plenty and seem very prepared...one item (if applicable) would be to bring in your and your spouse's divorce records from previous marriages (again, if applicable). 

Not applicable!

Would you say last 6 months of bills/statements as of the day old interview should be enough?

1 minute ago, sashsash said:

Not applicable!

Would you say last 6 months of bills/statements as of the day old interview should be enough?

My wife has her interview at the end of January.  She will be taking in last 6 months of 2022 bills/statements plus copies of 3 years of taxes,  and other documents which they have requested to bring.

Keep in mind you already have received your 10 year GC.  You are taking these additional statements, just in case IO asks for them. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, sashsash said:

I think (but I’m not so sure) that you’d also need to bring your EAD card, should you have one.

2 hours ago, SoCal2021 said:

IRS tax return transcripts is the way to go. Don’t take the whole return. 

2 hours ago, SoCal2021 said:
  • Joint Checking Account (last 6 months

To me, that’s an overkill. It’s either or, and I’d do 1 statement quarterly since the time you got married. 

3 hours ago, sashsash said:

Yes.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Are both passport and the cert. of Naturalization required, or just one of them?

I did not get the interviewing date yet, but my spouse had a business traveling plan which needed the passport next couple months.

If the traveling will also be on the interview date, can I just bring the cert. of Naturalization of my spouse, or I must bring both?

I had 10-yr greencard already, and applied under 3-yr rule. So I assumed only me will go to the interview.

Thanks so much for your advice.

You are eligible to apply for Naturalization under the 5 year rule. Requirements you should provide are your Income Tax Return from IRS, copy of your green card. You are eligible because you are already 10 years LPR. If you apply under the 3 year rule you have to provide more documents being married to USC.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Balakasha said:

Are both passport and the cert. of Naturalization required, or just one of them?

I did not get the interviewing date yet, but my spouse had a business traveling plan which needed the passport next couple months.

If the traveling will also be on the interview date, can I just bring the cert. of Naturalization of my spouse, or I must bring both?

I had 10-yr greencard already, and applied under 3-yr rule. So I assumed only me will go to the interview.

On the interview notice it even doesn't mention USC spouse's passport at all.  So you should be good :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
1 hour ago, sashsash said:

It is optional but under the 3-year rule I would encourage the spouse to go to the interview, it is not required but there is a small chance the interviewing officer may want the opportunity to talk to them. It is unlikely they will be admitted to the interview and maybe not admitted to the field office at all due to COVID restrictions but having the spouse there is a plus for your case when the IO calls you into your appointment and sees you both together in the waiting room.  

I know some immigration lawyers encourage spouses to go to n400 cases under the 3-year rule. 

I did see most applicants in the USCIS waiting room at our n400 interview in May were accompanied by a spouse or family so there is a good chance your spouse will be admitted through security, especially under the 3-year rule n400 case. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

14 hours ago, sashsash said:

Hello!

Here are my questions:

• Appointment letter
  • Mine:

• Bank Statements:

• Car Title (both names)

Thank you!

More than enough.  They didnt even look at Nita’s evidence LOL

8 hours ago, da95826 said:

It is optional but under the 3-year rule I would encourage the spouse to go to the interview, it is not required but there is a small chance the interviewing officer may want the opportunity to talk to them. It is unlikely they will be admitted to the interview and maybe not admitted to the field office at all due to COVID restrictions but having the spouse there is a plus for your case when the IO calls you into your appointment and sees you both together in the waiting room.  

I know some immigration lawyers encourage spouses to go to n400 cases under the 3-year rule. 

I did see most applicants in the USCIS waiting room at our n400 interview in May were accompanied by a spouse or family so there is a good chance your spouse will be admitted through security, especially under the 3-year rule n400 case. 

Thanks so much for your information. I thought only the mentioned people in interview letter could get inside.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
7 hours ago, Balakasha said:

Is the spouse mentioned in the letter? I thought the spouse just could get through the security check if be mentioned in the letter.

The spouse was not mentioned in our n400 invitation but was admitted through security anyway. If you indicate to security, you are there for an n400 under 3-year rule they may be admitted.  There is a chance they will not be admitted if COVID cases spike, but I think it may be worth a try as COViD restrictions have eased. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.