Derik-Lina

Failed the Civics test. Now, I wait........and when? what?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,

I applied for citizenship, and things went quickly. Within two months from submitting the N400 online, I had my interview.

My appointment was at 8 am and I was readier than ever. When the officer allowed me in, they began rather quickly, and neglected to have me do the oath. 

It seemed this person was in a very bad mood with an alarming negative attitude, but that was and is out of my control. I concentrated on me and answered

all questions. Surprisingly, I was asked to do the oath after the interview...??? Confusing, but what do I know. I was excited to hear the good new, but not so fast!

The officer handed me a piece of paper stating I failed the civics test, instructing me to come back within 90 days, and ushered out.

Now, some 2 weeks later and nothing, nada on my profile website, and nothing in the mail. What do I do?

Anyone went thru this experience before? I d appreciate any advice or input. I am just confused and disappointed.

Do I make the appointment again? will they email or mail me, or update my online profile?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

start studying for the civics test 

and within 90 days ,  take the paper that says to come back and return to the office (copy it for your records) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You were already told what to do. So, what else? 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Derik-Lina said:

Hello,

I applied for citizenship, and things went quickly. Within two months from submitting the N400 online, I had my interview.

My appointment was at 8 am and I was readier than ever. When the officer allowed me in, they began rather quickly, and neglected to have me do the oath. 

It seemed this person was in a very bad mood with an alarming negative attitude, but that was and is out of my control. I concentrated on me and answered

all questions. Surprisingly, I was asked to do the oath after the interview...??? Confusing, but what do I know. I was excited to hear the good new, but not so fast!

The officer handed me a piece of paper stating I failed the civics test, instructing me to come back within 90 days, and ushered out.

Now, some 2 weeks later and nothing, nada on my profile website, and nothing in the mail. What do I do?

Anyone went thru this experience before? I d appreciate any advice or input. I am just confused and disappointed.

Do I make the appointment again? will they email or mail me, or update my online profile?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

start studying for the civics test 

and within 90 days ,  take the paper that says to come back and return to the office (copy it for your records) 

Hi Jeanne,

Should I just count the 90 days and then go? business days? Include weekends and holidays? Maybe I should wait for a notice electronically? Or a letter? Should I contact the USCIS in person? The point of my post is that I am confused of what to do next. Thanks!

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

You were already told what to do. So, what else? 

Edited by Derik-Lina

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline

Timona,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The post's intention is to seek clarification on how to proceed. In no shape or form, I intended to disappoint or upset you :) 

To answer your "You were already told what to do. So, what else?" question. 

Should I just count the 90 days and then go? business days? Include weekends and holidays? Maybe I should wait for a notice electronically? Or a letter?

Thank you :) 

Honest-Love-Respect

2 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Timona,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The post's intention is to seek clarification on how to proceed. In no shape or form, I intended to disappoint or upset you :) 

To answer your "You were already told what to do. So, what else?" question. 

Should I just count the 90 days and then go? business days? Include weekends and holidays? Maybe I should wait for a notice electronically? Or a letter?

Thank you :) 

Wow

Study

Pick a day within 90 days

Go back and bring your letter

90 = days from the date on the paper you were given.  I’d be back next week.  The questions are not that hard.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Wow

Study

90 = days from the date on the paper you were given.  I’d be back next week.  The questions are not that hard.

Totally appreciate you. I will do just that. Thank you

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Totally appreciate you. I will do just that. Thank you

16 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Wow

Study

Do I have to wait for an appointment from the USCIS?

or just go any day within 90 days? 

Again, thank you so much. 

Honest-Love-Respect

10 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Do I have to wait for an appointment from the USCIS?

or just go any day within 90 days? 

Again, thank you so much. 

I haven’t seen anyone fail the test but here is the applicable section of their policy manual.  I dont think the officer told you to come back.  Policy manual Section F indicates they’ll schedule you another appointment.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-e-chapter-2

Fail again and your app is denied.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/find-study-materials-and-resources/study-for-the-test/100-civics-questions-and-answers-with-mp3-audio-english-version

Your test is the 2008 test.  Above  ^^^ are the 100 questions.  Learn them and the answer.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/find-study-materials-and-resources/study-for-the-test

These ^^^ are the questions and different answers in different languages.

Do nothing but this in your spare time.  Over and over.

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/civics-practice-test-2008

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You can't just walk back in. They'll reschedule. So, wait. 

And FYI, those are 90 business days. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Derik-Lina said:

Hi Jeanne,

Should I just count the 90 days and then go? business days? Include weekends and holidays? Maybe I should wait for a notice electronically? Or a letter? Should I contact the USCIS in person? The point of my post is that I am confused of what to do next. Thanks!

first this is strange notice

but if USCIS says 90 days (like they do to marry on a k1)  its 90 days including weekends 

it may be to return to set up interview date (who knows?)  but be prepared to take the test 

Your best bet would be to inquire through the helpline.

For readers that could go through this, before you leave the officer's desk, get all the info for next steps and instructions, write them down on paper before you leave.

Study hard this time, there isn't a 3rd chance for civics. You will have to re-file n400.

Timeline

i said 90 day total as i had my notices from immigration were specific

one said 30 days,  

another said 30 business days 

they seem to be specific

so,  if it says 90 days ,  don't assume 90 business days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I found it useful to download an app for the citizenship questions and took a test every day, any questions I got stuck on or knew I didn't know I wrote down. Writing them down aided my memory. I'll remember the answers to all 100 questions for the rest of my life :D

Most are common sense, some specific to your State, so get to know your Congresspersons and Senators and Governors names.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.