ros88

Naturalization requirements

77 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am a permanent resident since 2015 but I am married to an American citizen since 2020.

my question is this:

in 2023 can I apply for Naturalization as a spouse of a US citizen?

or I am forced to apply as a permanent resident since 2015?

asking this because since 2015 I have been a lot overseas for work but since 2020 I have been always in the states.

so it will be more easy for me.

Can I do that as a spouse of a US citizen?

Thank you so much for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You will apply under 5 year rule. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, ros88 said:

Hello!

I am a permanent resident since 2015 but I am married to an American citizen since 2020.

my question is this:

in 2023 can I apply for Naturalization as a spouse of a US citizen?

or I am forced to apply as a permanent resident since 2015?

asking this because since 2015 I have been a lot overseas for work but since 2020 I have been always in the states.

so it will be more easy for me.

Can I do that as a spouse of a US citizen?

Thank you so much for your help!

You can apply under either category but it wont matter since your travel history is associated with your greencard. Evidence wise the burden is less for 5 year, so you may be better off applying under the 5 year category. 

Traveling overseas does not disqualify you until you stayed more than 180 days at a time at which point you joepardized your residency. Other than that frequent business/personal trips outside dont disqualify you if you maintained domicile in US territory. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Nkrish83 said:

You can apply under either category but it wont matter since your travel history is associated with your greencard. Evidence wise the burden is less for 5 year, so you may be better off applying under the 5 year category. 

Traveling overseas does not disqualify you until you stayed more than 180 days at a time at which point you joepardized your residency. Other than that frequent business/personal trips outside dont disqualify you if you maintained domicile in US 

She cannot use the "spouse route."

You need to have been married to a USC from the start. She doesn't fit that bill...so 5 years is her only route 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

27 minutes ago, Timona said:

You need to have been married to a USC from the start. She doesn't fit that bill...so 5 years is her only route 

I was actually married from the start that how I got my green card.

then we had some problems and got divorced in 2017 and got back together and remarried in 2020.

thats why I am asking since I am married with the same person I was when I got my GC!

Any advice would be so appreciated!

thanks

42 minutes ago, Nkrish83 said:

Traveling overseas does not disqualify you until you stayed more than 180 days at a time at which point you joepardized your residency. Other than that frequent business/personal trips outside dont disqualify you if you maintained domicile in US territory. 

I actually travelled overseas for more than 180 days but never intended to leave the US and I maintained my residency.

It happened twice in the last five years, thats why I am asking if I should wait for the 5 years or I can  apply as a spouse as I have 18 mi ths of residency but not 30 in the last 5 years.

13 minutes ago, Timona said:

N-400 based on the 3-year rule is an option even if an applicant gained their LPR status through non-marriage-based paths.  There is no requirement for an N-400 applicant to be married to a USC from the start of their LPR status.  The only requirements related to marriage are for the N-400 applicant to be --

• in a valid marriage with a USC -- marriage is legal where it was performed, legal in the US, and entered into in good faith (not for immigration benefits)
  • living in marital union with their USC spouse for at least 3 years immediately prior to filing N-400
  • still married to their USC spouse up to the time of their US oath ceremony

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2

@Chancy agreed, the OP can apply under 3 or 5 year rule in this situation. However, I see no benefit applying under 3 year rule. More evidence needed, more paperwork, more questions. And they're going to review 5 years of travel regardless, because the OP is LPR since 2015.

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I see no benefit applying under 3 year rule.

Agree.  I see no benefit in the OP applying under the 3-yr rule either.

Edited by Chancy
typo

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@Chancy agreed, the OP can apply under 3 or 5 year rule in this situation. However, I see no benefit applying under 3 year rule. More evidence needed, more paperwork, more questions. And they're going to review 5 years of travel regardless, because the OP is LPR since 2015.

Yes there is benefits for me.

If applying under the 3 years route the requirement is 18 months physically in the US in the last 3 years while with the 5 years path is 30 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, ros88 said:

I was actually married from the start that how I got my green card.

then we had some problems and got divorced in 2017 and got back together and remarried in 2020.

thats why I am asking since I am married with the same person I was when I got my GC!

Any advice would be so appreciated!

thanks

Did you have to file for ROC?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Did you have to file for ROC? Your timeline is incomplete… 

you got your green card in 2015. Then that means that sometime in 2017 you should have filed for ROC, but you also said you divorced in 2017… please clarify

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

From my understanding, the 3 year rule is only for those (who qualify through marriage etc) and don't want to wait 5 years. You have already been an LPR for 5 years so the 3 year rule isn't an option for you (USCIS has 5 years of LPR to look back on, they will not just look at your last 3, like they would with someone who doesn't have 5 years as an LPR yet). No matter if you're married or not - you will still be processed based on your 5 year as an LPR. That's my understanding of it. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.