dosthell

Please, help me understand all these specifics better

19 posts in this topic

Timeline

Greetings, I am a 22 year old Ukrainian woman. To get one thing out of the way straight away, I am not entirely sure of U4U program. I've searched the web for sponsors, but for some reason they're either suspicious or there's some weird specifics that pop up on different websites. In a nutshell, I am not entirely sure if U4U might work for me. If I some emergency happens back at home and I'll need to leave US, I won't be able to come back into the States.

Now onto the main topic, I have a boyfriend in the US who's 23 years old. We've been talking daily for 8 years. For obvious reasons we haven't been able to meet. At first we were minors with no money, then Covid-19 hit and now the war escalated over here. And to top it all off we both had struggled financially. I have absolutely no intention of abusing the system to get a US citizenship effortlessly. This is a man I really care about and I intend to start a family with him.

While I don't struggle with English language, I sure as hell struggle understanding some things with immigration laws.

What is the way to go about this, for example:

1. We get married in Ukraine, he goes back into US, fills out forms and he gets me into US.
  2. We fill out fiancé visa and all those forms, I go there, we get married and so on.
    OR I get over my fears of U4U, go into USA and get married to him while there.

I'd also like to know how important it is to be able to prove your romantic relationship in the last 2 year in the second case (flight tickets, pictures, love letters and whatnot). Considering our circumstances mentioned above, it would be quite a challenge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

u r required to meet no matter which visa u choose

i prefer spouse as there are so many advantages but not familiar with possibilities to do this at present time in Ukraine

his airline boarding passes would show he came to meet u

photos of u together prove u did

Go for the guy and marriage if possible and we will pray for u

don't be afraid of U4U but understand the US is only saying that at present time it is not a permanent move

Generally, Ukrainian citizens and their immediate family members granted travel authorization under Uniting for Ukraine will be paroled into the United States for up to two years.Sep 27, 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He can sponsor you for U4U and then marry and adjust

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the Russia/Ukraine/Belarus regional forum, where this topic is heavily discussed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
12 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

u r required to meet no matter which visa u choose

i prefer spouse as there are so many advantages but not familiar with possibilities to do this at present time in Ukraine

his airline boarding passes would show he came to meet u

photos of u together prove u did

Go for the guy and marriage if possible and we will pray for u

don't be afraid of U4U but understand the US is only saying that at present time it is not a permanent move

Generally, Ukrainian citizens and their immediate family members granted travel authorization under Uniting for Ukraine will be paroled into the United States for up to two years.Sep 27, 2022

Oh yeah I understand the part about it being not a permanent move. That's why I was thinking of marrying him within those two years if I go to US by U4U.
I'm kind of hesitant of K1 since it said that you must have been seeing each other last 2 years in person. Unfortunately enough, last two years had been the toughest for us financially. And till looking what we really want to do in life and stuff. Luckily for him, he found himself sooner then I found myself.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lynxyonok said:

He needs to be able to meet income or asset guidelines whichever way you both go. That's not something that can be bypassed.

Is there any way to find out the income minimum he needs to have? Or is it different depending on each case or something. I've seen it mentioned a lot but not in the greatest of detail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 hours ago, dosthell said:

Oh yeah I understand the part about it being not a permanent move. That's why I was thinking of marrying him within those two years if I go to US by U4U.
I'm kind of hesitant of K1 since it said that you must have been seeing each other last 2 years in person. Unfortunately enough, last two years had been the toughest for us financially. And till looking what we really want to do in life and stuff. Luckily for him, he found himself sooner then I found myself.

if u marry while here on U4U , u can file to adjust status and stay 

best to u

Timeline

I 134 and I 864 both list the aounts involved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Paging @Supernatural who I think went through nearly an identical situation, albeit with far less time knowing his significant other in Ukraine. I believe the conclusion was that you could file the I-485 (Adjustment of Status) after coming on U4U and marrying. I'm not sure, but I think he was pursuing a K-1 at the time the war started. The following is the thread:

Best of luck to you, stay safe wherever you are. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, dosthell said:

Is there any way to find out the income minimum he needs to have? Or is it different depending on each case or something. I've seen it mentioned a lot but not in the greatest of detail

I tried pulling up I-134 forms as advised by Boiler but couldn't find anything. Finally, a boundless link showed $22,887.

Essentially, requirements are very low by US standards as almost anyone with a full-time job should be able to have that much.

It all comes to the definition of financial struggle. If he has his own place he can afford, he may make enough. Even if he can't afford Starbucks daily.

Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Top hit, 5 seconds.

Timeline
23 hours ago, Boiler said:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Top hit, 5 seconds.

As I've looked around this forum some more, I've found a whole post dedicated to i-130. And one thing that got me scared is that there's some weird scenarios of where your applications might be seen as fraudulent.
For example, if I do come into USA, marry my man and then we file a i-130 with everything else, can we be rejected? The basis for rejection being that I used humanitarian parole for marriage+immigration?
I don't know maybe I'm overthinking it? Reading many articles really has clouded the hell out of my mind.

My boyfriend and I want to be as prepared for it as possible, because we really really want to live together. And if somehow our forms would get rejected in the worst, it would mean that I wouldn't be able to go into US.

Timeline
On 11/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, slavaskii said:

Paging @Supernatural who I think went through nearly an identical situation, albeit with far less time knowing his significant other in Ukraine. I believe the conclusion was that you could file the I-485 (Adjustment of Status) after coming on U4U and marrying. I'm not sure, but I think he was pursuing a K-1 at the time the war started. The following is the thread:

Best of luck to you, stay safe wherever you are. 

Thank you very much, that post was quite insightful! Much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, dosthell said:

As I've looked around this forum some more, I've found a whole post dedicated to i-130. And one thing that got me scared is that there's some weird scenarios of where your applications might be seen as fraudulent.
For example, if I do come into USA, marry my man and then we file a i-130 with everything else, can we be rejected? The basis for rejection being that I used humanitarian parole for marriage+immigration?
I don't know maybe I'm overthinking it? Reading many articles really has clouded the hell out of my mind.

My boyfriend and I want to be as prepared for it as possible, because we really really want to live together. And if somehow our forms would get rejected in the worst, it would mean that I wouldn't be able to go into US.

Yes, there's always a chance of rejection. Marriage visas see a lot of fraud, and USCIS and like officers are very keen.

That said.

I am going to assume that your mutual feelings are genuine, that it is not a quest for the blue passport, and that the two of you want to be with each other no matter what.

Then who cares if you get rejected.

Oh, don't get me wrong. A rejection sucks. And no one in the world starts out waiting to be rejected, save for a few very unique individuals.

So, here goes.

1. Read all forms, rules, and instructions. Read the heck out of this website. Out of all other sites. Learn from other people's experiences.

2. Be genuine. For the process is too long for any mask to stay on one's face.

3. Be prepared to up the stakes. It is an option to go to another country and live there together as a couple, preparing to come back to the States.

Sigh. The last sentence that you had used does scare me though. Is it him you love or the US?

Don't answer. I will assume that it's him. So, charge ahead. And prevail you will.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.