AmandaandChayne

N400 November 2022 filers

221 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
8 hours ago, Mike E said:

This was my experience in 2017 in San Jose. Alas no one warned me, and I had to get photos the next day.

Years later I asked my wife's lawyer why, and  the explanation is that the device that prints certificates of naturalization will not print a certificate with the same photo more than 2 times. Extra photos give ISOs an 3rd and 4th opportunity to recover from a printer issue.

I didn't prepare my wife with photos for her (January 31 too) N-400 interview. But we lucked out: Tucson takes new biometrics at reception before proceeding to waiting room.

Congratulations on your approval.

We (both I and spouse) had our pics taken by the IO after the interview with their phone and showed the present pic vs the old pic and gave us an option for to chose which one to appear on the naturalization certificate. This is from Phoenix, FO.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, LI Filer said:

I posted this in the NY thread, but as a November 2022 filer, re-posting it here with my experience:

Update on my filing:

Online application: 11/4/2022

Biometrics reuse notice: 11/9/2022

Interview scheduled notice: 12/23/2022 (Interview on 1/31/2023 in Holtsville, NY)

Interview: 1/31/2023 in Holtsville, NY (Long Island) office

Approved: We recommended approval; submitted for quality review: 1/31/2023 (status updated immediately after interview)

Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled: 1/31/2023

Waiting on oath ceremony to be scheduled (with a name change on my original application). Was surprised to see this notice, as I passed all of the tests, but I received an expected "A decision cannot be made yet about your application" notice, due to prior arrests in the past (long time ago and final outcomes were just violations/disorderly conduct). Both IO and my attorney mentioned that all cases with prior arrests take more time to process (1-3 months), so wouldn't be surprised if my "oath will be scheduled" changes, but for now, waiting on either oath to be scheduled and/or final approval. 

Hardly anyone on line to enter building...was able to enter 25 minute prior to my appointment, checked in, and was called 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time.

IO was business-like but friendly enough, though very poker-faced. Ran through civics test (basic enough questions), simple reading of one sentence, and writing the response on the tablet, bunch of yes/no questions, and then asked if I had been arrested before. Answered yes, and when asked what happened? Just replied it was a long time ago (26 years ago) and that they were disorderly conducts (a violation), produced official court dispositions, which she took and just moved on. All in all, was done in about 10 minutes, said I passed but because of the arrests, it has to be approved by a supervisor, and that there's no way to tell how long it would take. 

After getting in the car, checked USCIS website and it was already updated to approved and oath ceremony will be scheduled, so not sure if that was in error, just a temporary update, or whether it was already fully approved, but will keep checking to see if I receive an oath ceremony date. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention, my attorney (who did not attend the interview with me), advised that I should take additional passport photos (in addition to the submitted ones for the original application), and sure enough, the IO asked if I had additional passport photos, which I did, so I handed them over. 

Not sure if there would have been a delay or issue if I didn't have backup, additional passport photos, but I was super glad that I did. 

I also took the following documents with me, though was only asked to see green card, driver's license, selective service registration info, and original court dispositions with seal (for prior arrests):

Valid and current foreign passport, green card, driver's license, selective service registration, original court dispositions with seal, 5 years of tax returns, utility bill, marriage certificate (my naturalization was not based on marriage but took it anyway), and current W2 paystub. 

I was dressed business casual (V-neck sweater over a button-up sweater, dark washed jeans, and dressy/casual sneakers), and I felt this was very appropriate compared to other applicants and immigration officers, who were mostly all dressed similar. 

Hope this is helpful, and let me know if any specific questions. 

Update:

Exactly 8 days after my interview (2/1), received a notice today (online) that the oath ceremony has been scheduled for March 10th at the Central Islip, NY court house. I had requested a name change with my initial application (and confirmed by the IO during my interview), and since it'll a judicial ceremony, I should be all set. 

Again, surprised at the speed of everything during the process. It looks like I'll be done in exactly four months from start to oath. 

Well checked MyUscis before sleeping and my N400 interview has been scheduled!!! Checked the documents and it’s March 23rd!! Excited and nervous!! Now to study like crazy after a trip to Iceland next week!!

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Also question due to go to England on April 18th will this screw up our trip if approved! Can I travel between approval and Oath ceremony if approved? 

Edited by AmandaandChayne

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

10 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

Also question due to go to England on April 18th will this screw up our trip if approved! Can I travel between approval and Oath ceremony if approved? 

Yes, you can take a short trip between those. Sometimes oath is on the same day as N-400 interview. Make sure you don't do it on that day, because they you MUST exit and re-enter the US on US passport, and it takes time to get.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
14 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

By law, provided you maintain residency in your state or USCIS field office district between the interview and oath it is fine. 

In addition, by policy provided this doesn’t drop physical presence below 50 percent for the statutory period (usually 3 or 5 years) before oath  it is fine. There is a legal theory that this policy is illegal but I haven’t seen a successful challenge.  

I traveled between interview and oath, and so has my wife (who takes oath later this month). 

You want to travel now because there is no telling when a U.S. passport will be issued. 

16 hours ago, AmandaandChayne said:

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By law, provided you maintain residency in your state or USCIS field office district between the interview and oath it is fine. 

In addition, by policy provided this doesn’t drop physical presence below 50 percent for the statutory period (usually 3 or 5 years) before oath  it is fine. There is a legal theory that this policy is illegal but I haven’t seen a successful challenge.  

I traveled between interview and oath, and so has my wife (who takes oath later this month). 

You want to travel now because there is no telling when a U.S. passport will be issued. 

Also possible that the oath ceremony might be scheduled during the time while you're away (mine is scheduled exactly 5 weeks after interview), so depending on how long you plan to stay in the UK, there might be a conflict with the oath ceremony day. Not sure how likely, but it's a possibility, depending on your field office? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, OldUser said:

Yes, you can take a short trip between those. Sometimes oath is on the same day as N-400 interview. Make sure you don't do it on that day, because they you MUST exit and re-enter the US on US passport, and it takes time to get.

Anyone know how long we wait between oath and passport issuance? I have same plan. 

Just now, YuanYuanYuan said:

Anyone know how long we wait between oath and passport issuance? I have same plan. 

To get a passport you need to apply for it.

Processing times can be found here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey everyone.  I had my interview today and here is a recap.  Note: I applied on the basis of the 5-year rule.

TL;DR: I got approved! Yay! 

My appointment was at 7:35 am at the Nashville field office.  I arrived there at 7 am and the parking lot was already quite busy.  I went in at 7:20 and proceeded through airport-like security.  The security officers were very nice; one said I looked quite spiffy.  LOL!  I was called up to a counter to get biometrics done and then sat in the waiting room.  At 7:45, I was called in for my interview.  The IO was pleasant but all business.  There was no small talk whatsoever other than the initial "good morning."  She asked me to remain standing, raise my right hand, and went over the standard oath.  She asked for my permanent resident card and passport, looked them over, and then went over the interview process in brief.  She asked if I was okay with doing the Civics test first, to which I said sure.  Here are the six questions that she asked me, all of which I answered correctly.  I was lucky to get quite straightforward questions.

1. Name one state that borders Canada.

2. What is the highest court in the US?

3. What happened at the Constitutional Convention?  

4. Name one Native American tribe.

5. Why does the flag have 50 stars?

6. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? 

Reading test: Who elects the Congress

Writing test: The people elect the Congress

She then asked me some basic questions from the application - full name, address, occupation, my last trip outside the US, and what age I was when I first arrived.  This last question almost gave me a panic attack.  I first got to the US when I was 21, as a student, and did not start my immigration process until I was well past 26.  So I know that selective service did not apply to me.  But she still asked why I did not register for it.  I told her I was on a student visa and had no idea at the time even what selective service was, let alone register for it.  She seemed to buy that explanation and made some notes in the computer.  She then told me that she had made some changes to my application, one of which was simply a job title update and the other was the selective service question, and asked me to verify the changes.  It was then that I realized why she was asking about the selective service.  I answered "No" to the question in the application since answering "Yes" would have taken me down the path of completing a statement etc... which did not apply to me.  She changed that answer to "Yes" at the interview and we moved on.  Just thought I'd mention this in case someone else also has this happen to them.   

From then, it was the standard yes/no questions and finally, she congratulated me saying that I was approved, and handed me the approval letter. Unfortunately, the center I was interviewed at stopped administering same-day oaths so I have to wait for that to be scheduled.  I mentioned an upcoming out-of-country trip that I had planned months earlier and asked if she could make a note asking for the oath to be scheduled after my return.  She was happy to do that and I saw her jot down my return date in the file.  I am fully aware that that doesn't mean a whole lot since there is a good chance that the note gets ignored.  I have already planned for that eventuality. 

10 mins after leaving the building my case status was updated to "Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled." 

Best wishes to everyone who has an upcoming interview or waiting for one to be scheduled.          

My USCIS Journey...

I had an I-485 filing already submitted through an employment-based application. Post-marriage, I submitted an I-130, which after being approved was interfiled with the existing I-485.

Interfiling/AOS Timeline:

01/03/14 - Day 274 - Interfiling request received by USCIS

04/03/14 - Day 364 - Interfiling service request sent

04/30/14 - Day 391 - Second interfiling service request sent

05/19/14 - Day 410 - Email sent asking for case status update

06/04/14 - Day 426 - Response received that I-485 was transferred to NBC

06/05/14 - Day 427 - I-485 updated to "sent to local office for processing"

07/02/14 - Day 454 - Status changed to testing & interview. Interview date August 4!!

08/04/14 - Day 487 - Mini-Stokes interview. IO intended on approving AOS but the computer did not show I-130 approval. The wait goes on...

08/18/14 - Day 501 - Spoke with Tier 2 IO - said that my I-485 is approved but no card prodn ordered. Asked to call back in 2 weeks if no update.

08/29/14 - Day 512 - Spoke with Tier 2 IO - said that my I-485 was not approved yet, but my file was with an IO for a decision

09/03/14 - Day 517 - Wrote a request to my Congressman asking for assistance

09/09/14 - Day 523 - Status updated to Card/Document Production

09/15/14 - Day 529 - Status update - Card mailed to address on record/permanent resident status registered

09/15/14 - Day 529 - Status update - Card picked up by USPS.

09/16/14 - Day 530 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL!!

I-751 Timeline:

05/25/16 - Day 000 - I-751packet mailed to CSC

05/27/16 - Day 002 - I-751 packet received at CSC

06/02/16 - Day 008 - Check cashed

06/03/16 - Day 009 - NOA1 received. Receipt Date: 05/27/16

06/10/16 - Day 016 - Biometrics appointment notice received - appointment date 6/22/16

06/22/16 - Day 028 - Biometrics Appointment - complete

01/04/17 - Day 224 - Status update - ROC Approved!  Card production ordered.

01/09/17 - Day 229 - Status update - Approval notice letter received.  Also received a notification that the card has been mailed.

01/11/17 - Day 231 - Card received in the mail!

N-400 Timeline:

12/02/20 - Day 000 - N-400 application submitted online; case received.

01/06/20 - Day 035 - Biometrics reuse notification received.

04/01/21 - Day 119 - Voluntary withdrawal N-400 Application.

N-400 Resubmission:

11/02/22 - Day 000 - N-400 application submitted online; case received.

11/02/22 - Day 000 - Biometrics reuse notification received.

01/05/22 - Day 064 - Interview scheduled for 02/14/23.

02/14/23 - Day 104 - N-400 Approved! 

08/18/23 - Day 289 - Oath Ceremony notice received - scheduled for 09/29/23.

09/29/23 - Day 331 - Oath Ceremony

My mom filed N400 back in November. Status says Actively being reviewed. 

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

l filed N400 November 6th, did my biometrics 2weeks after submission of my application and the waiting begins.. I’ve seen some people getting interview dates already

I  had applied N-400 in November last year and got interview/approved in January this year. They used my old biometric data and I did not have to go for biometric again.  I have also already collected my US passport . It has been very smooth so far in may case. 

Edited by amstel69

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.