yoh

Received a phone call from a "supposed USCIS officer" to go to USCIS to sign documents

30 posts in this topic

Just this afternoon, I have received a phone call from a USCIS officer telling me to go to the USCIS office because I need to sign some documents for my Naturalization. I just recently finished my combo 751+Naturalization Interview last Sept 1 from the Baltimore office. My Naturalization has been approved on the spot but cannot give a schedule for the oath taking ceremony because she needs to approve the 751 first. On Sept. 6, my I-751 status has finally changed to "approved" and is now therefore ready for my Naturalization papers to move on for it's scheduling of oath ceremony. Fast forward today, I received a phone call from this number 410 779 5194. She asked for me (telling my whole name) and informed that she was calling from USCIS. The caller then tells me I need to go to the USCIS office to sign documents for my Naturalization and asked if I'm okay for the schedule this coming Monday in the morning (gave me a specific time). I told them I was ok and will just proceed. Now she then told me to bring my green card during that schedule. I did ask her If I will be given an email or notice to give to the guard so I can enter the office. but she then tells me that there's no need for that and just told me to tell my name to the guard and that I have received a phone call from them. I was like OK at first and proceed to give me the address of USCIS Baltimore (which I checked and is correct) then we ended the call.

Coming home, it dawned to me if the call was legit. I don't remember any documents i missed signing, the officer during the interview told me everything was ok and so here i was thinking if the call was a scam. The schedule will be this monday, and i was wondering if i should still go or not. Is this supposedly an oath taking ceremony? Because she never mentioned the word oath taking, but just sign documents. has anyone experienced this? Let alone from the Baltimore office? My N400 status still hasn't changed from its "Interview has been scheduled" status and no new documents/notification  were uploaded on my USCIS account. 

Edited by yoh

I personally don’t like such informal “ come on down for a little this/that “ calls.

They have never ended in anything good..in my experience . 

It takes less time/ effort and resources ( $$)   for them to shoot off a template I-72 / aka RFE post interview and press SEND ( it will print and get mailed out bulk rate postage)…..than assign task to another ( human) staff to call . 

You can take a moment and review ALL your own immigration journey ( from day one of any filings/visa apps/ and anything you may consider a possible issue)….post here if you want feedback…

Hey, go ahead with it. I swear  same thing happened to me I got a call from uscis office and I didn't believe the officer that he was calling me from uscis office.But I went for oath ceremony anyway and I found out there were lot of people in two lines and immigrant. Officers were collecting green cards from them before their oath. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Agreed that you should definitely go.  Be sure to report back here!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, Family said:

I personally don’t like such informal “ come on down for a little this/that “ calls.

They have never ended in anything good..in my experience . 

It takes less time/ effort and resources ( $$)   for them to shoot off a template I-72 / aka RFE post interview and press SEND ( it will print and get mailed out bulk rate postage)…..than assign task to another ( human) staff to call . 

You can take a moment and review ALL your own immigration journey ( from day one of any filings/visa apps/ and anything you may consider a possible issue)….post here if you want feedback…

I did, and I do know everything was ok that’s why we got an approval in both 751 and n400. I’m just really waiting to be sched for the oath.

1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I don't see how somebody would get something out of it unless you gave them some personal information during the call that could be used to steal your identity. I would go.

Didn’t tell them anything other than I was ok with the schedule

46 minutes ago, Mohammad awan said:

Hey, go ahead with it. I swear  same thing happened to me I got a call from uscis office and I didn't believe the officer that he was calling me from uscis office.But I went for oath ceremony anyway and I found out there were lot of people in two lines and immigrant. Officers were collecting green cards from them before their oath. 

What did the officer tell you? I’m a bit skeptical because she didn’t mention anything about an oath and instead ‘sign for your naturalization documents and bring your green card. So i’m super confused. But I do hope this is the oath taking ceremony

Edited by yoh

1 hour ago, Mohammad awan said:

I would also like to ask if you received any n445 form (notice of oath taking) to show the guards before going to your sched or you just told the guard about the “uscis call”? 

Edited by yoh

Yes the officer told me they calling from uscis office  and they asked me if he was talking to mohammad Awan I answered yes and then he asked me if I can come on oath ceremony (after three days from their call). I asked him why uscis did not send me the letter and he replied because of shortage of time if they send me letter i gonna miss this oath ceremony and have to wait for second one.

7 minutes ago, Mohammad awan said:

Yes the officer told me they calling from uscis office  and they asked me if he was talking to mohammad Awan I answered yes and then he asked me if I can come on oath ceremony (after three days from their call). I asked him why uscis did not send me the letter and he replied because of shortage of time if they send me letter i gonna miss this oath ceremony and have to wait for second one.

So when you went there, you just got on line and voila! Oath taking? No questions from the guards for you? Wow!! 

I do hope this happens to me too. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Fingers crossed on your behalf! :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hahaha my friend I live in wisconsin. The address officer gave me it was federal building . The told the guard at the gate that uscis officer called me about my oath ceremony  today at this address. The checked my driver lisence and let me in and the I was straight in the queue and the checked my name in the list asked my green card and show me the oath ceremony room . After about 40 minutes federal judge came and took our oath and after oath they gave everybody naturalization certificate.That is it my friend dont worry everything gonna be fine. If u are married take your family with u it gonna b lot of fun there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.