AbigailB08

Interview waived (merged)

15 posts in this topic

Alright. I know USCIS agents are incredibly unreliable. We've been given so much conflicting information, one said our case was in queue for interview since 7/29/22 at our local field office. One said it's actually been at the NBC this whole time. And the most recent bit of of information we've been told is our interview has been waived since 7/1/2022.. all very conflicting! We're coming from a K1 visa and from what I understand they are not waiving interview for family based i-485s. But I want to know if anyone has had a similar path to us, either wanting to understand what actually happened with your case or get some hope all is not lost.. Anyone's stories or information about any of those processes and timelines would be great. What were you told vs what actually happened?

27 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

We're coming from a K1 visa and from what I understand they are not waiving interview for family based i-485s.

They waive those who have had consular interviews so in actuality, K1s have higher chances of getting an interview waived. Having said that, they do not waive everyone, (mine wasn’t waived).

29 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

What were you told vs what actually happened?

people know their interviews were waived when they received the approval notice for I-485 and/or that a GC has been mailed.

4 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

people know their interviews were waived when they received the approval notice for I-485 and/or that a GC has been mailed.

Interesting! So no real telling what will happen, just a waiting game as per usual. We haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, and our status hasn't changed for 6+ months. So it would just be going based off of the agents word. Just waiting and seeing! Thanks 

• 1 month later...

I can't find much information online about this. But as far as I can tell the NBC is the one processing our case. We submitted an RFE back in March of 2022, and I'm wondering if there's any data out there or understanding of how long it takes the NBC to process your case? We also have had our "interview waived" since beginning of July 2022. Is there anywhere to look to get a guess at the processing time of the NBC?

36 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

I can't find much information online about this. But as far as I can tell the NBC is the one processing our case. We submitted an RFE back in March of 2022, and I'm wondering if there's any data out there or understanding of how long it takes the NBC to process your case? We also have had our "interview waived" since beginning of July 2022. Is there anywhere to look to get a guess at the processing time of the NBC?

NBC is holding your I-485 case until your local field office (LFO) is ready to adjudicate it.  So the relevant processing estimate for you would be the published estimate for your LFO.  Check here (select your LFO) -- https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Also, if you haven't received notification that your I-485 has been approved, how do you know that your interview has been waived?  The only real indication of waived interview is if your I-485 case status says approved (prior to getting any interview schedule) or your green card is being produced.

4 minutes ago, Chancy said:

NBC is holding your I-485 case until your local field office (LFO) is ready to adjudicate it.  So the relevant processing estimate for you would be the published estimate for your LFO.  Check here (select your LFO) -- https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Also, if you haven't received notification that your I-485 has been approved, how do you know that your interview has been waived?  The only real indication of waived interview is if your I-485 case status says approved (prior to getting any interview schedule) or your green card is being produced.

Gotcha. Thanks for the information that makes a lot of sense. I got the interview waived information from several ask Emma attempts trying to get different information but they kept telling me interview was waived but that could change at any point if they decide they need more information 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
15 hours ago, AbigailB08 said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the information that makes a lot of sense. I got the interview waived information from several ask Emma attempts trying to get different information but they kept telling me interview was waived but that could change at any point if they decide they need more information 

Most likely you were conversing with a tier 1 officer.  

The difference between a bucket of bolts and a bucket of tier 1 officers is the the bolts are better informed. 

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Most likely you were conversing with a tier 1 officer.  

The difference between a bucket of bolts and a bucket of tier 1 officers is the the bolts are better informed. 

Lol yeah I don't understand why they're so difficult. But I only have some faith it's accurate because multiple officers had said so. So they're all probably referencing the same thing, whether they're reading it right or not is beyond me 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

Lol yeah I don't understand why they're so difficult. But I only have some faith it's accurate because multiple officers had said so. So they're all probably referencing the same thing, whether they're reading it right or not is beyond me 

Every tine I’ve seen a waiver interview the result has been approval days later.  There is a first time for everything but based on past experience I think your interview was not waived.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Please keep all related questions to one thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Ontarkie changed the title to Interview waived (merged)
  • 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

@AbigailB08 any update on if you received an approval? We also just found out our interview was waived on 7/13/22 through speaking to a live USCIS agent via chat. She told us that the case still has to be processed for approval despite the interview waiver. Here's our timeline so far:

Field Office = Los Angeles, CA (processing time currently 19 months for 80% of cases)

AOS filed (K1/family-based): 2021-12-24

RFE: 2022-01-04

RFE Response Received: 2022-01-11

Biometrics: 2022-01-25

2nd Biometrics: 2022-03-28

EAD Approved: 2022-06-10 (no AP)

No I-485 update since the 2nd biometrics appt in March unfortunately

K-1 Timeline                                                                                                                                               AOS + EAD/AP Timeline

I-129F Sent: 2020-10-10                                                                                                                            I-485, I-765, and I-131 Sent: 2021-12-20

I-129F Delivered / NOA1: 2020-10-19 (9 days)                                                                                      I-485, I-765, and I-131 Delivered: 2021-12-22 (2 days)

I-129F Payment Processed: 2020-11-11 (23 days)                                                                               I-485, I-765, and I-131 Payment Processed: 2021-12-23 (1 day)

I-129F Text Received : 2020-11-12 (1 day)                                                                                             I-485, I-765, and I-131 NOA1: 2021-12-24 (1 day)

I-129F NOA2: 2021-05-21 (6 months and 9 days)                                                                                I-485, I-765, and I-131 Text Received: 2021-12-26 (2 days)

NVC Received & Case # Assigned: 2021-06-11 (21 days)                                                                  I-485 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled: 2021-12-29 (3 days)

NVC Left: 2021-08-31 (2 months and 20 days)                                                                                     I-485 RFE Received (I-864 proof of income): 2022-01-04 (6 days)

London Consulate Received: 2021-09-03 (3 days)                                                                               I-485 RFE Response Sent/Received (online): 2022-01-11 (7 days)

London Medical: 2021-09-30 (27 days) / Results Sent: 2021-10-06 (6 days post-medical)         I-485 Biometrics Appointment: 2022-01-25 (14 days)

London Interview (approved pending medical results): 2021-10-08 (8 days)                                  I-485 2nd Biometrics Appointment Scheduled: 2022-02-26 (32 days)

K1 Visa Received: 2021-10-18 (10 days)                                                                                               I-485 2nd Biometrics Appointment Re-Scheduled: 2022-03-05 (7 days)

Entered US at LAX: 2021-10-31 (13 days)                                                                                              I-485 2nd Biometrics Appointment: 2022-03-28 (23 days)

Married in CA: 2021-12-09 (39 days)                                                                                                      I-765 Approved: 2022-06-10 (74 days)

I-765 Received: 2022-06-17 (7 days)

I-485 Interview Waived: 2022-07-13 [according to USCIS Live Agent]

I-485 RFE Received (I-693 new medical): 2022-12-15

I-485 RFE Response Sent/Received (in person): 2023-01-18

I-485 Approved: 2023-01-27

Just now, JL & JT said:

@AbigailB08 any update on if you received an approval? We also just found out our interview was waived on 7/13/22 through speaking to a live USCIS agent via chat. She told us that the case still has to be processed for approval despite the interview waiver. Here's our timeline so far:

Field Office = Los Angeles, CA (processing time currently 19 months for 80% of cases)

AOS filed (K1/family-based): 2021-12-24

RFE: 2022-01-04

RFE Response Received: 2022-01-11

Biometrics: 2022-01-25

2nd Biometrics: 2022-03-28

EAD Approved: 2022-06-10 (no AP)

No I-485 update since the 2nd biometrics appt in March unfortunately

Wish I could say we had any new updates! We have the same information as before. Interview waived July 1st and they said the same thing to us, said our case still needs to go through an approval process. Pretty long wait unfortunately!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.