tcrossle

When can beneficiary get license?

26 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, tcrossle said:

Thank you both, I see now. I am not too familiar with the process. Does it matter if we get our wedding certificate after the 90 days is up? Or is it just a matter of how soon we can try to apply for AoS?

After 90 days she would be out of status, It’s all addressed in that thread.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Come to Las Vegas, NV, and I can get you married with certificate in hand in less than an hour. I'll be in Thailand actually early November, but anytime after say the 9th of November I can get you married with certificate in Hand. Also, get your SS card ASAP, when my fiancee, now wife came thru LAX POE back in 2019, we drove to Vegas that night, and went Monday morning ( Less than 14 hours after arrival thru LAX) to the SS office and applied for her SS card. They  said they didn't think it would be in the system for 2 weeks after arrival, that is a lie, it will be in the system 20 Min. after she clears POE. Had her SS card a week later. You said she arrives in a few weeks, we can do a quick ceremony to get you married with certificate in hand before I leave possibly. Let me know, I don't charge to do the ceremony, and the license is about 102.00 here in Vegas, then certified copies are 20 dollars each for the marriage certificate. Quick and easy, and you can file same day if you wanted. Message me for my contact info if this might be an option your interested in. And congrats!

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Come to Las Vegas, NV, and I can get you married with certificate in hand in less than an hour. I'll be in Thailand actually early November, but anytime after say the 9th of November I can get you married with certificate in Hand. Also, get your SS card ASAP, when my fiancee, now wife came thru LAX POE back in 2019, we drove to Vegas that night, and went Monday morning ( Less than 14 hours after arrival thru LAX) to the SS office and applied for her SS card. They  said they didn't think it would be in the system for 2 weeks after arrival, that is a lie, it will be in the system 20 Min. after she clears POE. Had her SS card a week later. You said she arrives in a few weeks, we can do a quick ceremony to get you married with certificate in hand before I leave possibly. Let me know, I don't charge to do the ceremony, and the license is about 102.00 here in Vegas, then certified copies are 20 dollars each for the marriage certificate. Quick and easy, and you can file same day if you wanted. Message me for my contact info if this might be an option your interested in. And congrats!

Thank you we really appreciate it, we were definitely thinking about Vegas as an option since we have heard that do quick marriages. We will definitely apply for SSN as soon as she gets here. And we could definitely squeeze over there late this month as long as her flight doesn't get changed/delayed. I'll message you about it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, tcrossle said:

Thank you we really appreciate it, we were definitely thinking about Vegas as an option since we have heard that do quick marriages. We will definitely apply for SSN as soon as she gets here. And we could definitely squeeze over there late this month as long as her flight doesn't get changed/delayed. I'll message you about it!

Sounds doable. I'll be here for a while still, at least until early October. Talk to you soon.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Come to Las Vegas, NV, and I can get you married with certificate in hand in less than an hour. 

I second that.  My wife and I were married in Vegas and the marriage certificate showed up soon after.  (We lived in California at the time.)  

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Former California resident with a K-1 spouse here. This is your playbook. 

* 2 working days after arriving in the USA, apply for SSN

* Preserve all mail you get from SSA.  

* Get married by week 3 at the latest. You must marry where you can get you the marriage certificate in less than week. IOW don’t get married in LA county.  Plan ahead. Utah remote presence wedding or @Loren Y Vegas wedding are sure things. 

* By day 30 or earlier go to DMV to apply for California state ID.  Bring marriage certificate and all mailings from SSA. Citizen Spouse should also bring probe of residency in California such as utility bills, bank statements, etc. The marriage certificate, SSA mail, spouse evidence of residency combined are proof the  K-1 resides in California 

* Also bring I-94 and passport with the K-1 visa 

DMV should issue a REAL ID state ID

As for actual driving license, California is a difficult state:

* out of country licenses are not accepted for waiver of road test 

* road tests are by appointment only 

* appointments are generally 6 months out and even then it’s a 2 hour drive

I suggest  securing  the REAL ID state ID first. After that comes in the mail, apply for the drivers license. It will be the written test to get an instructional permit. Get a road test appointment. If you don’t mind driving to the extreme north or east pf state you can get a road test faster than 6 months. 

After the road test, the K-1 should be allowed  to get a REAL ID drivers license. Despite having her EAD, my wife was denied a REAL ID drivers license and instead granted an AB60. We didn’t care because she had the REAL ID state ID. 

Thank you for the break down, could you supply a link for the exact application on their website for the SSN? For some reason  I cannot find it 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 minutes ago, tcrossle said:

Thank you for the break down, could you supply a link for the exact application on their website for the SSN? For some reason  I cannot find it 

The form is SS-5. You can print one https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf or fill one out at SSA office … takes a minute 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/10/2022 at 1:48 PM, Zoeeeeeee said:

The certificate is what you get after you're married - no relation to the license (which you get beforehand). You'll be fine getting your license the day before. But it's the certificate that you need when you send in your green card forms...so you may have to wait 2 months before you can send them.

Well, in a lot of states it's either a nearly identical document (as in CA) or the same document after it's been endorsed by officials after the wedding, but yes, it's not the same thing.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, Mike E said:

* appointments are generally 6 months out and even then it’s a 2 hour drive

This isn't really true anymore (at least not everywhere; the closest DMV location to us has road test appointments available starting less than three weeks from now -- and I've been checking on this because Anastasia's working on learning to drive right now; yeah, she's been here three years, but it's hard to learn to drive with an infant around -- and some spot checking says the first offices that come up when you search in SF and LA are similar). As far as making an appointment to take the written test (though you can do this online now) and/or hand in paperwork, well, if you're willing to wait in line you don't actually have to do that.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, Mike E said:

After the road test, the K-1 should be allowed  to get a REAL ID drivers license. Despite having her EAD, my wife was denied a REAL ID drivers license and instead granted an AB60. We didn’t care because she had the REAL ID state ID. 

You can only have one RealID at a time, apparently.

We wanted to get Anastasia a RealID state ID (for now) and apply for one when she gets her driver's license, but both the online forms and the people in-person said only one could be a RealID. Since we didn't know how long it would take to get a license, we went with the state ID.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
14 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

This isn't really true anymore (at least not everywhere; the closest DMV location to us has road test appointments available starting less than three weeks from now

I checked with my old zip code and you are correct. There is an abundance of appointments.  Well it only took 10 years to get fixed.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.