sammyiee

H-1b visa grace period [merged threads]

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Timona said:

If filling EOS & COS right when your other non-immigrant visa expires or right before it expires confers any benefit, everyone on B-2 would be doing it.

Yep.   I think Chapter 3 is extremely clear. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
32 minutes ago, sammyiee said:

I spoke with the lawyers on this, I would not have a "lawful status" but I will have an "authorized stay" and there's a difference between these two. Nevertheless, it comes with risks.

There is a glaring oxymoron in that statement. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 hours ago, nastra30 said:

There was a policy change in 2021 (I think) that gives one 'authorized stay' when they apply for COS from one non-immigrant status to non-immigrant status.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/applicants-for-change-of-status-to-f-1-student-no-longer-need-to-submit-subsequent-applications-to

Found the policy.

BUT BUT (A BIG BUT) - It only applies when you are applying for COS to that of only F-1 non-immigrant status.

So unfortunetly for op, you can't bridge the gap with B-2 application. I think you are out of luck.

Edited by nastra30

4 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/applicants-for-change-of-status-to-f-1-student-no-longer-need-to-submit-subsequent-applications-to

Found the policy.

BUT BUT (A BIG BUT) - It only applies when you are applying for COS to that of only F-1 non-immigrant status.

So unfortunetly for op, you can't bridge the gap with B-2 application. I think you are out of luck.

This is only specific to F1 students, here, this is a bit more general : https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/C1en.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
31 minutes ago, sammyiee said:

Yes I guess. At this point, I don't know whom to trust anymore, the lawyers or the internet.

Hmm, alright, so based on my Google searches there seem to be mentions that you'll have authorized stay. But I couldn’t really find a USCIS Policy that is explicit about it (including the one you shared above). Nonetheless, you already acknowledged it's risky business. Keep us informed how your case turns out in the future; we'll use your situation as a test case 😀.

49 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Hmm, alright, so based on my Google searches there seem to be mentions that you'll have authorized stay. But I couldn’t really find a USCIS Policy that is explicit about it (including the one you shared above). Nonetheless, you already acknowledged it's risky business. Keep us informed how your case turns out in the future; we'll use your situation as a test case 😀.

😫

So I know I have posted thousand things here.... but here is the new situation... I know I am being super indecisive....but my employers called me today and said they are ready to file my H-1b today!! As i mentioned, I have already submitted I-539 which puts me in this tricky spot. I was wondering if I am able to still withdraw, go back home by tomorrow and focus on H-1b.

3 hours ago, sammyiee said:

Yes I guess. At this point, I don't know whom to trust anymore, the lawyers or the internet.

Obviously the ONLY source to trust is PUBLISHED USCIS POLICY.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you 60 day grace period ends tomorrow

u should leave today so u don't take any chances of an overstay by even a day (flight delays can cause this)

and u need to have followed the rules and guidelines for this current visa to get the new H-1b approved 

u have no extension to stay currently in the US

good luck

get on a plane

Just now, JeanneAdil said:

you 60 day grace period ends tomorrow

u should leave today so u don't take any chances of an overstay by even a day (flight delays can cause this)

and u need to have followed the rules and guidelines for this current visa to get the new H-1b approved 

u have no extension to stay currently in the US

good luck

get on a plane

Yes but I have a filed I-539, so my main concern is that right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One duplicate thread has been removed and another merging dupe with replies. This will be your last warning. DO NOT start another thread on this topic.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
51 minutes ago, sammyiee said:

Yes but I have a filed I-539, so my main concern is that right now.

Your only option at this point is to send a quick letter to withdraw I-539, with proof of delivery, fly home YESTERDAY and focus on h1-b in my opinion. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

I really don't get why OP waited until approx. 3 days before the grace period ended to seek advice about something as important as this. I find it hard to believe that the company immigration lawyers haven't told OP what to do, in order not to jeopardize the new H1B application.

Edited by Adventine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.