Mackay

I-485 Applicants Statement-"I can read... understand English

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is about part 10 "applicant's statement". Can I be the preparer named in part 12?? No, I don't speak Thai. My wife is Thai and her English skills aren't great. Will this be an issue? Check the box 7a? Sign 8a & 8B? I can translate this on Google.  Just found out my Attorney wants $1500.00 to do the preparation for the  I-485!...and they're in Thailand! Do I need professional interpreter? Not doing the I765 or I-131, just the Green Card. Basically, can I be the preparer with Google translate? 

Alternate thought, I have a Thai friend here in California that can read this form for her, will that person have to come to the interview?? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mac

Mackay & Nan😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You don't need an interpreter. You can fill the forms for her and add your name as the preparer. 

For any documents that needs translation, eg BC, since you aren't fluent in Thai, have it translated online for like $20 or have a friend translate for you for cheap. If I friend translates, just add the wording that says "I, XX is fluent in both..." these wording are available online. Just copy and edit. 

No need to pay attorney $1500

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

You don't need an interpreter. You can fill the forms for her and add your name as the preparer. 

For any documents that needs translation, eg BC, since you aren't fluent in Thai, have it translated online for like $20 or have a friend translate for you for cheap. If I friend translates, just add the wording that says "I, XX is fluent in both..." these wording are available online. Just copy and edit. 

No need to pay attorney $1500

This is good news! We were successful in getting the Marriage License (and subsequent marriage with certificate in hand), as well as successfully applied for a social security card, which will be here soon! All other documents, i.e. Birth Certificate, have already been translated :). I think my biggest concern was the interview for biometrics and green card approval. 

Mackay & Nan😁

2 hours ago, Mackay said:

interpreter? Not doing the I765 or I-131, just the Green Card. Basically, can I be the preparer with Google translate? 

Alternate thought, I have a Thai friend here in California that can read this form for her, will that person have to come to the interview?? Thoughts?

You need to do the I-765 and I-131 as there is no extra fee if you submit them with the I-485. The main reason is to protect you both from any unforeseen delays in the green card itself .

Work permit is evidence of legal status even if she chooses not to get any job other than Happy Susie Homemaker and Advance Parole in case you want to whisk her to a romantic getaway or she has unforeseen family emergency back home. Not filing them is not wise. 

If you are not comfortable signing as translator and reading the forms to her, great idea to ask your Thai friend to both sign and accompany you to the interview…..but if you do a good job with your filing you may be screened for an interview waiver . 

Don’t forget the I-864.

PS, your fights would make a good script for a romantic comedy….by the time you Google translate, you probably forgot what you were angry about!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Family said:

You need to do the I-765 and I-131 as there is no extra fee if you submit them with the I-485. The main reason is to protect you both from any unforeseen delays in the green card itself .

Work permit is evidence of legal status even if she chooses not to get any job other than Happy Susie Homemaker and Advance Parole in case you want to whisk her to a romantic getaway or she has unforeseen family emergency back home. Not filing them is not wise. 

If you are not comfortable signing as translator and reading the forms to her, great idea to ask your Thai friend to both sign and accompany you to the interview…..but if you do a good job with your filing you may be screened for an interview waiver . 

Don’t forget the I-864.

PS, your fights would make a good script for a romantic comedy….by the time you Google translate, you probably forgot what you were angry about!

Okay, I'll do the I765 and 131. Yes, I should have noted the 864. I'm a public school teacher here in So. Cal., so not an issue with this part :)

I'm very comfortable with signing as the translator, unfortunately my Thai friends live 300 miles away :(.  I just can't in good faith have her sign (check the box) on the document saying she understands English completely. Mind you, she does understand some English. 

Mackay & Nan😁

Then make sure you let her practice her own Google translate and practicing typing in the questions in English is good immersion excercise. 
As long as she grasps the gist of the inadmissibility questions ( all of which she answers NO to anyway)..she can even sign without a translator. 
At biometrics there will be NO interview, just name /address / birthplace / weight/ height questions and you can go with her to help. 

If they do schedule an interview and you have no one , most officers are pretty lenient to allow petitioner/husband to informally help translate IF she shows ####### and spirit of I CAN speak ENOUGH English to converse…

So have her do an ESL course and enjoy the experience . 
Congrats on your Happily Ever After…

DIY is only for the truly Together No Red Flags or Skeletons in Our Closet .,.anything else is worth Attorney Ammunition. Lol

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Family said:

Then make sure you let her practice her own Google translate and practicing typing in the questions in English is good immersion excercise. 
As long as she grasps the gist of the inadmissibility questions ( all of which she answers NO to anyway)..she can even sign without a translator. 
At biometrics there will be NO interview, just name /address / birthplace / weight/ height questions and you can go with her to help. 

If they do schedule an interview and you have no one , most officers are pretty lenient to allow petitioner/husband to informally help translate IF she shows ####### and spirit of I CAN speak ENOUGH English to converse…

So have her do an ESL course and enjoy the experience . 
Congrats on your Happily Ever After…

DIY is only for the truly Together No Red Flags or Skeletons in Our Closet .,.anything else is worth Attorney Ammunition. Lol

Got it! Thank you for all your replies. I feel much more comfortable now! We got through the County Clerk & SS with just a few kicks on the ankle, I'm sure now we'll get through the Green card process w/o an attorney or translator. So, final thought, I'll check the box in Part 10 #2 "at my request the preparer named in Part 12", fill out Part 12 and then check box 7a. 

Is this correct?

Mackay & Nan😁

I happen to hold a contrary opinion to all VJ DIY ers on entering yourself as preparer advise you leave that blank. My reason is based on the fact that NO ONE is “ legally “ permitted to prepare immigration forms other than Attorneys , DOJ Accredited Representatives or Bonded /Licensed Immigration Consultants. …

That said, nothing bad happens if you choose to sign off as preparer for your wife…they just ignore it , just don’t ever do it for anyone else you may ever want to help in the future. 

Edited by Family

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Family said:

I happen to hold a contrary opinion to all VJ DIY ers on entering yourself as preparer advise you leave that blank. My reason is based on the fact that NO ONE is “ legally “ permitted to prepare immigration forms other than Attorneys , DOJ Accredited Representatives or Bonded /Licensed Immigration Consultants. …

That said, nothing bad happens if you choose to sign off as preparer for your wife…they just ignore it , just don’t ever do it for anyone else you may ever want to help in the future. 

Duly noted! I think I'm going in as the "Preparer" and checking those boxes. I will also wait to send it in until I can fill out the SS #. We've only been back in country for 7 weeks, after my summer break, and doing fine as far as time is concerned. BTW, I just told her she has around 8 months to get fluent, :) We'll do fine! Just wanted expert advice and thank you all!!! 

Sincerely,

Mackay Scanland

Mackay & Nan😁

1 hour ago, Family said:

My reason is based on the fact that NO ONE is “ legally “ permitted to prepare immigration forms other than Attorneys , DOJ Accredited Representatives or Bonded /Licensed Immigration Consultants. …

My guess is that overseas attorneys (like the one OP wanted to use) would not be legally permitted to prepare US immigration forms.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mackay said:

Duly noted! I think I'm going in as the "Preparer" and checking those boxes. I will also wait to send it in until I can fill out the SS #. We've only been back in country for 7 weeks, after my summer break, and doing fine as far as time is concerned. BTW, I just told her she has around 8 months to get fluent, :) We'll do fine! Just wanted expert advice and thank you all!!! 

Sincerely,

Mackay Scanland

If she gets an interview in 8 months that would be a miracle 😁

Since Covid the Application Support Center where she has to get her biometrics done don't allow extra people in but you can find the form online and she can practice what to fill out where.

Edit: or maybe somebody on here has a picture for you

Edited by Letspaintcookies

19 hours ago, Family said:

My reason is based on the fact that NO ONE is “ legally “ permitted to prepare immigration forms other than Attorneys , DOJ Accredited Representatives or Bonded /Licensed Immigration Consultants.

Do you have an official source for that?  I have not found any mention of such requirement in the USCIS website.  As far as I know, anyone may legally sign as form preparer.  The I-485 form instructions even state that "anyone who
helped you
complete this application MUST sign and date the application.
"  Complying with the form instructions seems like a compelling reason for @Mackay to sign as his wife's I-485 form preparer.

Maybe you're confusing it with the requirement for G-28 form?  If the person who helped prepare the form is an attorney or accredited representative, they must sign and submit form G-28 -- https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-b-chapter-5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.